Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

This dealer is starting to screw me around

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 02:19 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down This dealer is starting to screw me around

Alright...this is the story

I have been looking for a 2003 c320 4matic for my mom for sometime. She wants black w/ash and I found this dealer in Long Island NY that has one (I wont disclose the name until after monday when I find out if they are really bad)

I talked to the salesman on the phone, and he did not want to give a quote or the equipment on the car. He wants me to go in and see him. At this point, I already did not like them. I went to the dealership and he told me "they can get a car with the specs I wanted."

The next day I worked out a deal on the phone with him and got the car $42,500 OTD with ash leatherette, sunroof and auto-dimming mirrors. He wanted a deposit of $1,000, I told him that is not normal and I will give him $500. He took my credit card number.

The third day I brought my mom there and signed the purchase agreement and we agreed to pick up the car a week from that day. We gave him our insurance agent's number and he told us they will take care of everything. (This was 11/16 Saturday)

On Wesnesday 11/20, the salesman called me at work and told me the car we ordered got "damaged" during transport and the front windshield was broken. He told me he already swapped another car and it was on the way to the dealership. The car has the same equipment, with the exception of the addition of 6-CD. I told him we did not want the 6-CD and wanted a discount on it. He will not budge at all and finally gave us the 6-CD for invoice, $372.

On Friday 11/22, the salesman called me again and told me they have not got the insurance card from our agent and thus picking up the car on Saturday will not be possible. I called our agents and was told they did not hear from the salesman. And then I was called again later by the salesman. Now he told me they have got the insurance car, but still cant pick up until Monday.

He then told me something like "oh yeah man, I hooked up with a girl that worked at your insurance agent's office" I was thinking like "what the hell does that have to do with anything?" I told him I have not been to my agent's place too often so I dont know what he is talking about....

Then...he dropped the bombshell. The car does not have the auto-dimming mirrors! I started to get pissed off at this point. I told him I was willing to let the issue of the 6-cd go, but now this?! He told me he can give me $100 off. I told him this deal has had too many things went wrong, and I was ready to pull out of it. He told me to give him a chance to find the car, he gave a few other cars, but none fit what my mom wanted. He said he will talked to his manager about the refund, and I told him 90% chance I will be asking for my refund. He told me he will call me back.

That was Yesterday. I waited for him to call the whole night and this morning as well. At noon, I made up my mind that I will be asking for the refund. I started calling him but all three times I was told he's with other customers and I left messages twice.

The fourth time I called and still couldnt get him. I asked to speak with the sales manager. I told the manager about the whole situation. When I told him about our car that got damaged during the transport, he sounded really surprised. "What? Who told you that?!" I said "Your salesman did!" I told him we would like our deposit back and he started to get defensive.

Him "You know, it cost us to do dealer swap. And you agreed to let us swap you a car."

me "I signed on for the car without the 6-cd. The salesman swapped the car with 6-cd without my consent. he called me and told me the new car is already on the way! And now at the last minute, you guys are telling me the car does not have the auto-dimming mirrors. That is 2 incidents!"

Him "Do you want us to find you another car?"

me "No, at this point. I just want my refund."

Him "I wont be here Monday night. Bring your purchase agreement with you and we will cut you a check and mail it to you, good bye"

now this is kinda weird. I have gotten deposit back from dealership before and I did not even have to go back. They simply refunded my credit card. I am wondering if you guys can see any tricks this dealership might pull on me when I go there this Monday. My theory is the salesman does not really have the car, he is trying to stall me and keep me from going to other dealers while he searches for the car. I do feel my stand is legit and I have every right to ask for my deposit. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 11-24-2002, 04:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
You know what? Get the refund. Demand it over the phone. Tell them if they don't do it you will do a chargeback. Get your car elsewhere.

Also, threaten to complain to their MB dealership owner and MBUSA directly also. They will not like that.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:01 AM
Almost a Member!

Just how does a "charge back"work? I have never done it before. I will call the salesman monday morning and hopefully I can avoid another trip down there...if I go there, maybe they will try to screw with me more
Old 11-24-2002, 01:12 PM

A 2-Seater Roaster & A 4-Door AMG & 2008 S550
That dealer sounds horrible, seems like your salesperson is talking you into buying a car that they can't even locate. Yikessss!!!

Anyways, they should return your deposit back to your credit card if that's how they charged you at the first place. My dealer refunded my deposit over the phone. I just simply told my salesperson that I got a car from another dealer. He was very nice and not giving me any hard time at all. He canceled my order and refunded my deposit the same day.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Tell the NY dealership that you had enough of their empty promises and time has run out.

Request to credit you the $1,000 deposit by cob Monday, or else you'll give the case to the Man of the Year: Rudi Giuli...
Old 11-25-2002, 09:33 AM
Almost a Member!

Well...I just spoke to my salesman and I told him the sales manager will refund me the deposit.

He asked me if we want to order one (2 month) instead and I respectfully declined. He asked me to drop by the place tonite and give him the copy of the purchase agreement along with the yellow copy of my credit card receipt.

(They copied my credit card receipt right onto the purchase agreement, maybe that is why they want me to return it, I will make a copy of it)

I will keep you guys updated.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
I don't know why you'd even have to return there. I think they're just trying to hook you in again.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:49 AM
Almost a Member!

Hey oogle

I will keep that in mind and be careful. Thanks man.

The dealership is on my way home and I have made up my mind that I am gonna get the refund. No matter what other deals they throw at me, I just gonna refuse and get my deposite.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
i agree... i'd call the credit card company and let them handle it.

getting you into the sales floor is a common sales tactic - make the customer make an investment in time and he'll be less likely to back out of a deal.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by balajc
Hey oogle

I will keep that in mind and be careful. Thanks man.

The dealership is on my way home and I have made up my mind that I am gonna get the refund. No matter what other deals they throw at me, I just gonna refuse and get my deposite.
Yup that's the attitude you go in with. They will know you're really serious and won't BS you too much. Never know. They might give you a even better deal than you had originally. Not that you would or should take it, but at least it might be interesting to see what they come up with.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:21 PM

2003 CLK 320
WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW THIS TURNS OUT LET USE KNOW. GOOD LUCK!!!

BRITTON
Old 11-25-2002, 06:03 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally posted by balajc
No matter what other deals they throw at me, I just gonna refuse and get my deposite.
How about this. Ask them if they really want your business since they've already made too many mistakes if you can get the car for 50% off!!?
Old 11-25-2002, 07:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
daewoo or mercedes? lol
Old 11-25-2002, 08:07 PM
Out Of Control!

Pinto!! And i'm not even talking about the car but Pinto Beans!! lmao!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2002, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
balajc -

don't take free pintos - you had enough hot air!
Old 11-26-2002, 09:37 AM
Almost a Member!

Okay...here is the result

I went back to the dealership last night. I gave my salesman the copy of my purchase agreement, he did not take my yellow credit card receipt though (I did not understand why he would want the copied purchase agreement back since I can make hundreds of copies???)

My salesman was surprisingly polite and shook my hand. He asked me again if I want to place an order instead. I declined. The sales manager happened to walk by and shook my hand as well. My salesman told me I can expect to have the refund on my credit card in 3-4 days.

Now I dunno whether to give them a thumbs down or thumbs in the middle. I will see if my credit card really gets refunded in 3-4 days.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:13 PM

Thumbs up for dicking around and now acting nice because you don't want their business?

Dude, thumbs down!!!

Hope they realize that ***** is not accpetable.

yok
Old 11-27-2002, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
balajc

This dealership is pissing on your shoes while claiming it's raining.

Crediting your cc takes seconds, -- NOT 3-4 days!!

...unless the cc belongs to the wife of the Saudi Ambassador to the U.S.A.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:48 AM
Almost a Member!

haha...that is funny

Well...I went down to another dealership near my mom's place last night (which happens to be owned by the same person as the "bad" dealership)

We got a 2003 C320 4matic with
- Metallic Silver Paint
- C2 (Sun-roof, auto-dimming, rain-sensing wiper, and rear sun shade)
- Heated Seats

I wanted a $1,500 off the total MSRP, the salesman told me he would do $1,200 off. He would ask his sales manager if $1,500 is a go or not.

I told him about the situation I had in the "bad" dealership. He told me if our deal goes through, he will simply transfer that $500 deposit into our deal if the refund has not been made by that time. (of course this time I did not put down deposit since the deal is "manager's approval pending")
Old 11-27-2002, 09:39 AM
Almost a Member!

Alright...my salesman called me back. He told me the manager would do $1,250. I argued/haggled a little more and got $1,300 off

***I usually do not haggle over a couple hundred bucks, my mom wants me to "gain experience"*** :p

Anyway, our OTD price is $44,207
- Silver
- C2
- Heated Seats

Good or bad?
Old 11-27-2002, 09:55 AM
Out Of Control!

baljc

Think you could've done better. How many dealership is close to you in your area? If that dealership said that the best they can do is $1300.00 then walk away and see if they chase you. Since economy is not doing very well dealership needs to close every single sale they can. Try going to another dealership ask for the same car and options and see how much they can knock off the price.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:17 AM
Almost a Member!

I know I can get $1500 from a place a bit further from my mom's house...but this place is like 2 blocks from my mom's house so she feels it is more convinient for her in terms of service. (I know you can bring the car to wherever, but if you buy the car from them, you just have more leverage)

And I do think $1500 is the most you can get right now for a 2003 C320 4matic. We are in Long Island so the price is bit higher. Someone will pay less than me, and someone else will pay more than me
Old 11-27-2002, 10:21 AM
Out Of Control!

Ok no problem. Good luck! Just offering my 0.02
Old 11-27-2002, 12:00 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK320
I feel for you. You'd expect a high end dealership wouldn't screw you around like that. I had an experience with a dealership on the San Francisco Peninsula. I wanted to trade in my '99 SLK for an '03 CLK. I went in, put my deposit down. The guy said it'll be about 3 months. During the conversation, I aslked him how much would the trade-in on my car would be. He gave me a quote without even looking at my car and it was extremely low. That night I thought it over and decided to cancel my order. I was told it'll take about a week to process the "papers". Well, it took me about 2 weeks because the sob went on vacation to Hawaii and didn't even file the refund papers. After much *****ing to his manager, etc, i finally got it but I will never go to that dealership again!
Old 11-27-2002, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
FYI, I got my C320 for $1500 below invoice. Something for you to think about.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: This dealer is starting to screw me around