Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Getting ready to pick up a new MB or other...opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280
Getting ready to pick up a new MB or other...opinions wanted

It’s time for the wife and I to pick up a new (pre-owned) car. Important factors are: AWD, safety, reliability, and a decent warranty. Our budget is between $30,000 and $40,000. I want a car, my wife says a car or an SUV is fine with her; if we go SUV, I’m leaning toward one that is low to the ground and won’t flip over, etc.

We currently have my C280 and a Mitsubishi Diamante, what we buy must have more interior space.

I like MB’s S430 4matic and my wife likes the X5. I’m not a big fan of BMW (or SUVs), but if it meets our needs then it’s ok. Also, a Lexus would be ok (GS). Other options could be E-Class (I think the new C-class is too small), Acura RL, Camry or Avalon (might as well throw it out there), Japanese SUVs (Honda/Lexus)…

What am I missing?
Old 02-26-2008, 03:07 PM

You're missing a bunch of cash if you're talking actually "new" vehicles. The only MB that fits in that category is the C300 4Matic, and it's barely under $40k. There's practically nothing from BMW in that price range.

Are you talking preowned?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:10 PM

w202 C230 Kompressor Sport
you should go with a pre-owned S class if you want a luxury sedan(model years 1999-2005). The one that best fits your criteria would be a 2004-2005 S500 4matic. You can get one with around 30K miles within your price range. The S500 is a great luxury sedan!! I drive a rear wheel drive Benz in the snow all the time, so you may want to consider not getting an AWD version to cut costs and because you will be able to find not 4matic models easier. Mercedes Benz has great traction control systems! I would only consider 4matic if i lived in an area that snows extremely heavily (i.e. most of colorado). If you want an SUV, i would say that the X5 is a good option, but its no Benz. I cant really give you much more feedback on the X5... we are, afterall, in a Mercedes Benz forum! You may also want to consider the E class. You can get a slighly newer/slightly less mileage E-Class for the same as the S i recommended. Contact your local MB dealer and make them show you what they can do for you within your range. This is a good idea even if you prefer buying from a private seller because you will get a chance to see and drive everything that fits your criteria.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Lexus RX330/350.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by C280Sportster
It’s time for the wife and I to pick up a new (pre-owned) car. Important factors are: AWD, safety, reliability, and a decent warranty. Our budget is between $30,000 and $40,000. I want a car, my wife says a car or an SUV is fine with her; if we go SUV, I’m leaning toward one that is low to the ground and won’t flip over, etc.

We currently have my C280 and a Mitsubishi Diamante, what we buy must have more interior space.

I like MB’s S430 4matic and my wife likes the X5. I’m not a big fan of BMW (or SUVs), but if it meets our needs then it’s ok. Also, a Lexus would be ok (GS). Other options could be E-Class (I think the new C-class is too small), Acura RL, Camry or Avalon (might as well throw it out there), Japanese SUVs (Honda/Lexus)…

What am I missing?
E-class / 5-series / A6 wagons should give you a lot of space. Each is available with AWD.

SUVs often visually give you the impression of lotsa space/capacity, but sometimes an equivalent-length wagon gives you just as much. E.g. the E46 3 series wagons actually have slightly more interior/cargo space than the X3 SUV, IIRC.

Didn't know Camry or Avalon was available in AWD, but if you're looking at those, check out the Legacy Wagon and the Outback.

In addition to the Lexus GS, the Infiniti M and G are both available with AWD.

Japanese SUVs: The just-replaced Acura MDX is worth a look, along with the Lexus RX330 and GX470. Or a Land Cruiser if you need a real truck
Old 02-26-2008, 08:07 PM

C280
Originally Posted by wmhjr
You're missing a bunch of cash if you're talking actually "new" vehicles. The only MB that fits in that category is the C300 4Matic, and it's barely under $40k. There's practically nothing from BMW in that price range.

Are you talking preowned?
Sorry, I wasn't clear, certified "pre-owned" is the way I'm going.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 183 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Get an E320CDI--you'll very quickly become a diesel convert.

Rest of the car is great, too.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:34 PM

2005 CLK320 Cab, 2008 R320 CDI
Have you considered the R-Class? I was looking to replace my wife's suv with a roomier kid and dog friendly sedan and was really close to dealing on a preowed 750iL but then looked at the R320CDI and was sold. Just picked it up today and we love the room, the 19" wheels, panorama roof and the gas mileage. With a sticker of 54K, got it down to 49.5 and with 1.9 financing for 72 months, that saves another 6k so we ended up with a brand new car for close to your 40K top end. If you want preowned, I gotta believe you can find a low mileage 06 or 07 in your price range.

As a newbie, I understand I may take some grief for comparing a 7 series to an R, but from your post I gathered you're a family guy, (so am I) and momma likes it so life is good.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:23 AM

C280
Originally Posted by theTour
you should go with a pre-owned S class if you want a luxury sedan(model years 1999-2005). The one that best fits your criteria would be a 2004-2005 S500 4matic. You can get one with around 30K miles within your price range. The S500 is a great luxury sedan!! I drive a rear wheel drive Benz in the snow all the time, so you may want to consider not getting an AWD version to cut costs and because you will be able to find not 4matic models easier. Mercedes Benz has great traction control systems! I would only consider 4matic if i lived in an area that snows extremely heavily (i.e. most of colorado). If you want an SUV, i would say that the X5 is a good option, but its no Benz. I cant really give you much more feedback on the X5... we are, afterall, in a Mercedes Benz forum! You may also want to consider the E class. You can get a slighly newer/slightly less mileage E-Class for the same as the S i recommended. Contact your local MB dealer and make them show you what they can do for you within your range. This is a good idea even if you prefer buying from a private seller because you will get a chance to see and drive everything that fits your criteria.
I'll look at the S500. What tires are on your S500?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:55 PM

C280
Originally Posted by rgalvantx
Have you considered the R-Class? I was looking to replace my wife's suv with a roomier kid and dog friendly sedan and was really close to dealing on a preowed 750iL but then looked at the R320CDI and was sold. Just picked it up today and we love the room, the 19" wheels, panorama roof and the gas mileage. With a sticker of 54K, got it down to 49.5 and with 1.9 financing for 72 months, that saves another 6k so we ended up with a brand new car for close to your 40K top end. If you want preowned, I gotta believe you can find a low mileage 06 or 07 in your price range.

As a newbie, I understand I may take some grief for comparing a 7 series to an R, but from your post I gathered you're a family guy, (so am I) and momma likes it so life is good.
Yes it's true about the "family guy" thing. The R-Class is pretty sweet. I've always wanted 7 seats! ROAD TRIP! But I've also wanted an S-class for a while...

I'm going to check out the R-Class, S-Class, and the E-Class.

The E-class is smaller (interior) than my Diamante, so I might have to cross that off the list, but I'll give it a drive first. You never know....
Old 03-10-2008, 07:45 AM

1989 W201 1999 W210
So what car you end up getting?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by C280Sportster

What am I missing?
Last gen X5 with sport pack is glued to the road. Last gen Cayenne is nearly as good. That's your top two. Great passive and active safety.