Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Mercedes Benz Museum (Stuttgart) / International Drivers license

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 Mercedes Benz 300E 1988 Mercedes Benz 300E 1988 Mercedes Benz 260E 1989 Mercedes Benz 560SEL
Question Mercedes Benz Museum (Stuttgart) / International Drivers license

I'm planning a week long vacay this fall (last week of September) to Munich and Stuttgart, Germany to visit the Mercedes Benz and BMW museums! I was just curious if anyone else has been, what to expect, other fun things to do etc. I'm staying in Paris for the week and then taking the rail to Germany. Can I rent a vehicle and drive in Europe? I've heard of an international driver's license, is there really such a thing!? I would love to get my hands on a rented BMW or Mercedes and "cruise" down the autobahn = ).
Old 07-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER

1 week vacation and staying in Paris for a week. That doesn't leave any time for Germany.

Your US license will be accepted. Renting a car would be better done from the states than over there - cheaper.

You scare me. A BMW or MB and going on the Autobahn? I sure hope you have prior experience.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by KyComRealEstate
I'm planning a week long vacay this fall (last week of September) to Munich and Stuttgart, Germany to visit the Mercedes Benz and BMW museums! I was just curious if anyone else has been, what to expect, other fun things to do etc. I'm staying in Paris for the week and then taking the rail to Germany. Can I rent a vehicle and drive in Europe? I've heard of an international driver's license, is there really such a thing!? I would love to get my hands on a rented BMW or Mercedes and "cruise" down the autobahn = ).
An International Driver's License is not an official document. You get one at the AAA. There's an international organization of auto clubs and they all use the same document. It basically says "the bearer has a valid driver's license, which he will show you" in a bunch of languages. I wouldn't bother with it for Germany, where most cops would speak English. The car rental place just wants to see your US license. +1 on arranging the rental from here. If you ever use Hertz or other rental agency, just use the same website or whatever you normally do. It will still be more than a US rental, especially if you are looking for a powerful car. Most rentals will be small diesels. You can get anything, but the rates get astronomical. There is nothing like doing 150 MPH+ on the autobahn, at least for a short stretch or two, so you may want to spring for it as a major entertainment expense. I've done it and it was worth every pfennig (Euro cent now).

But even in a little diesel, I love the freedom of having a car. It's not really needed in Paris or Stuttgart, but the best of France is outside of Paris and the best of Germany is outside of the cities. There's nothing like a European road trip. You will do fine and have a great time.

Gas of course will be double here and parking in cities is very expensive.

An alternative takes some planning, but is another trip-of-a-lifetime. If you ever need a new car and can pick it up European delivery you get to tear up the autobahn in your own car. You get a 7% discount on the car and they put you up in a nice hotel and give you a tour.

I've been to the Mercedes Museum. It's very cool. Leave enough time. Get there early and plan on a minimum of a couple of hours, preferably 3 or 4.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:02 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2001 Mercedes CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
Originally Posted by amdeutsch

1 week vacation and staying in Paris for a week. That doesn't leave any time for Germany.

Your US license will be accepted. Renting a car would be better done from the states than over there - cheaper.

You scare me. A BMW or MB and going on the Autobahn? I sure hope you have prior experience.
Germany will have their school holidays, so the traffic will be heavy - both around Stuttgart and Munich - I would not be too concerned if you have no prior experience driving on the Autobahn. Just stay in the righthand lane, until you feel comfortable going at 160 km/hr...Enjoy the trip. Tell us about the new Mercedes-Benz Museum.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
You will really enjoy Paris. Your hotel can make or break the trip. I suggest the Bristol or Plaza Athenee both excellent and well located. Expensive though. Almost any restaurant will deliver an excellent meal. Cabs are plentifull and easy to get. They are the best way around.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
you're better off in a smart car or an A-Klasse !

let me know how the MB Museum trip in Stuttgart goes... I'll be visiting about 3 times a week once I move in to my new house in Untertuerkheim.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 07-17-2008, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 Mercedes Benz 300E 1988 Mercedes Benz 300E 1988 Mercedes Benz 260E 1989 Mercedes Benz 560SEL
Thank you all for the input. I'm very excited about my trip...several guys from my local MB Club of America chapter advised I just go to Germany for the week and that I'll find it just as interesting if not more then Paris.

I wish I could bring my 1994 BMW 540i or my 1989 560SEL (which I just sold) and I am going through severe regret over = ( ...driving a W126 560 or an E32 750 top end on the autobahn would be absolute euphoria!!

I'm definitely plan on going to one of those huge beer halls, drinking out of a beer stein, eating a bratwurst, and hitting on some hot blonde's!!!

My love story with Mercedes began in college, not a lot of money and needed a car...so I found a bright red 1986 300E with 170k miles on it at a shady little car dealership (faded paint on roof, hood and trunk, no a/c, suspension a little twitchy, and an interior that looked like wild animals had been living in it, I bought it for $1,400 and drove off...but you know what?! That was the best darn car I've ever owned and I loved every minute of it...who would have thought that 8 years later I would be such an enthusiast that I would plan a trip to Germany just to go to a car museum!? These things get under your skin and once you drive one you can never drive anything else. I would truly rather drive an old slightly rough 1980's MB then a brand new Toyota or Honda anything. This comment might offend a few but here goes....BMW is a VERY close second and I have much respect for both companies....my two cents, thanks again guys...

-Luke
Old 07-17-2008, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
a true MB enthusiast !

Have fun in Germany; leave Paris for another trip....

Carlos

Saprissa
Old 07-17-2008, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by Saprissa
I'll be visiting about 3 times a week once I move in to my new house in Untertuerkheim.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Are you gonig to search for the "mean German woman" who hung up on you? ..........
Old 07-17-2008, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by C43AMG
Are you gonig to search for the "mean German woman" who hung up on you? ..........
damn right skippy !!!
and when i do..........