Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

CLK to be called E coupe? CL to be called S coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:18 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL/M6
CLK to be called E coupe? CL to be called S coupe?

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/12/m...299x1200561117

If they did this I would think it would be because of the obvious: too many MB models out right now/brand dilution.

Going back to a S class coupe is lame IMO. An E class coupe sounds better since the CLK nameplate is sometimes deemed feminine. I still dont like this idea.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CY
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/12/m...299x1200561117

If they did this I would think it would be because of the obvious: too many MB models out right now/brand dilution.

Going back to a S class coupe is lame IMO. An E class coupe sounds better since the CLK nameplate is sometimes deemed feminine. I still dont like this idea.

Both are stupid, the CL becoming the S is much less offensive, since the CLK is actually a C coupe, it is not in any way based on the E class. That would be a sad lie by MB, especially since they HAD an E coupe.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:52 AM

2008 CLK 350, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster
I used to think the CLK was just a 2-door C-Class; until I got them both in my garage and noticed the differences...at least, on the 2008 models.

There is a 2-door C-Class outside the US...and it's a hatchback...a sweet ride....but nothing like my beauty at all.

I really don't care what they call the next CLK; just make sure the damn car comes with bluetooth.....STANDARD!
Old 09-20-2008, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by khearon
I used to think the CLK was just a 2-door C-Class; until I got them both in my garage and noticed the differences...at least, on the 2008 models.

There is a 2-door C-Class outside the US...and it's a hatchback...a sweet ride....but nothing like my beauty at all.

I really don't care what they call the next CLK; just make sure the damn car comes with bluetooth.....STANDARD!
Actually, the CLK is just a 2 door C-class. The front and back are styled to look differently so that people will pay twice as much as for the C-coupe.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Actually, the CLK is just a 2 door C-class. The front and back are styled to look differently so that people will pay twice as much as for the C-coupe.
I DO understand what you're trying to say here; I simply disagree. Here's how I get to sleep at night....

The CLK appears to be a smaller CL....based on C frame with E interior styling.
The SLK ....a junior SL....with lower end engine components ~minus the AMG, of course.

The upcoming GLK is a midget GL....see what I mean? The "K" or Kompact moniker serves some purpose in the naming convention.

The are all "special" cars that could really be placed anywhere. But, I understand that they've got to call it something. If the final car is anything like the spy shots I've seen, I'll be getting my E Coupe' in 2010!
Old 09-21-2008, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
funny how my C-Class Coupe (hatchback) and the CLK 209 share so many of the same components and parts....

some 203 and 209 parts are readily interchangeable.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by khearon
I DO understand what you're trying to say here; I simply disagree. Here's how I get to sleep at night....

The CLK appears to be a smaller CL....based on C frame with E interior styling.
The SLK ....a junior SL....with lower end engine components ~minus the AMG, of course.

The upcoming GLK is a midget GL....see what I mean? The "K" or Kompact moniker serves some purpose in the naming convention.

The are all "special" cars that could really be placed anywhere. But, I understand that they've got to call it something. If the final car is anything like the spy shots I've seen, I'll be getting my E Coupe' in 2010!
First off, I do not intend to insult you, or your choice of car in any way (I was recently annoyed by another member who did this).

But I would like to make sure you and everyone else has the most accurate informaiton.

I am well aware of the model nomenclature, but K, actually stands for "Kurz" which is "short" in German. The C actually stands for Compact (C-Class)

The CLK has always shared components, most notably interior pieces, with the C class, and not a single piece with the E class. The chassis, and everything about the car is based on the C. There was actually quite an outcry about the CLK being an overpriced C coupe, which is why it became pillarless with retractable rear windows for the 209 chassis, since this was a huge shortcoming of the 208.

The only reason I take offense to the E coupé name is that one did exist, and renaming the CL to S coupe is accurate, but to call the CLK an E coupé is blatent deception, the cars have nothing in common.

Again, none of this was meant to insult your car, it is simply a matter of fact.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:03 PM

I didn't take any offense to anything you said man; personal or related to the car. It's not like I get anything out of any of it. In the end, it's just a means of transportation.

Thanks for the correction on the "K" designation. I understand that the car is based on the C-Class. I guess I looked at my two 08 models and I just didn't make the connection.

Again, no offense taken at all here. I do believe that if they line the car up with the E-Class more, it will justify the addition cash they ask for. I hear there is a hardtop convert in the works also.

I look forward to it!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Both are stupid, the CL becoming the S is much less offensive, since the CLK is actually a C coupe, it is not in any way based on the E class. That would be a sad lie by MB, especially since they HAD an E coupe.
SEC -> S-class Coupe -> CL -> S-class Coupe.....

Why not just come full circle and call them SECs again? And I agree that the next CLK should not be called an E-class Coupe unless it's based on an E-class platform (W212?)
Old 09-23-2008, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Originally Posted by 1985mb
SEC -> S-class Coupe -> CL -> S-class Coupe.....

Why not just come full circle and call them SECs again? And I agree that the next CLK should not be called an E-class Coupe unless it's based on an E-class platform (W212?)
agreed !

that's what I said in the other CL / CLS / S / E thread that's running around here somewhere.

Maybe time to merge these 2 threads.