Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Different Inch rims on back and front

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read sig
Different Inch rims on back and front

can putting different inch rims on the front and back mess your speedometer up? for an example,if u put 20's on da back and 19's on da front for a SL500,will that mess the speedometer up?
Old 06-01-2003, 11:46 PM

If you put 20" rims in "da" back if it will not mess it up, and if you put 20" rims in "the" back it will not mess up your speedometer reading either, however its all about the tires that you choose. If you own an SL500 (as your question pertains to), or any MB for that matter, try to communicate like you have a basic understanding of the English language and not use slang to make you sound "cool".

To answer your question, the size of the wheel is not what will throw off the speedometer, it is the width and sidewall of the tire that affects the reading that the speedometer recieves.

Here is an example of how to calculate how much your speedometer will be off by:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

There are many others, but this gives you a basic idea.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:28 PM

Read sig
Originally posted by Turbo2
If you put 20" rims in "da" back if it will not mess it up, and if you put 20" rims in "the" back it will not mess up your speedometer reading either, however its all about the tires that you choose. If you own an SL500 (as your question pertains to), or any MB for that matter, try to communicate like you have a basic understanding of the English language and not use slang to make you sound "cool".

haha sorry for the slang...i was in the rush. Alright, thanks for the info
Old 06-17-2003, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What does owning a mb or any other vehicle have to do with the way you speak? That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Owning a vehicle relates to nothing more but the amount of money it took for you to purchase it. THATS IT........
Do you think people who own Luxury vehicles are all special in some way?

Old 06-17-2003, 11:28 PM

Yes, I do think that people who own luxury vehicles are special in some way, barring the fact that they were able to purchase the car on their own, not by being able to purchase it through winning the lottery, lawsuit, etc. but by actually having the intelligence to earn good money to afford the car, and when I state intelligence I mean that people have good english, not using "Dat" or other slang. This is with the understanding that we are not talking about Sports players or Music stars (which I doubt there are very few, if any on this board). Hell, even P-Diddy who purchases MB's left and right, even Maybachs has goo english, when it comes to public appearances, not including his songs.

PinoyBaller (the person who wrote the comment) admited it wasn't the smartest move, so why does it bother you?
Old 06-18-2003, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pinoy was just thankful for the help you gave him and if you have read any of his other post they are written in the same manner. The idea that only "well educated" people should own Luxury cars is appaling to me.

Its a snobby attitude and it says alot for people who think that way. Im in disbelief you actually feel that way and ADMIT it. So what kind of cars should "less educated" or people who grew up in poor atmospheres be driving? 1987 corollas? Let me know im curious.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:28 AM

Audi 80 Quattro (with a couple of modifications)
I would have to agree with J Lucas. I've had the money to buy just about any Mercedes out there, but opted for a house and a mid level luxury car that would leave me financial room to modify, turbo, suspension, etc. If I bought a high end Mercedes I would still be nothing but the punk that I am now. I have the intelligence to earn the money again and as soon as medical bills are paid off I will have my E55K.
Sometimes I talk slang, so does that mean that the above is all false?
Old 06-18-2003, 06:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
First of all, it doesn't always take a high IQ to be rich. Second, just because one is rich doesn't mean they have to have "mad" English skillz. Third, just because one owns a MB doesn't mean they have to be a total snob.

We have a grammar **** in our midst.

Last edited by oggle; 06-18-2003 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:14 AM

J Lucas-
I am not saying that only well educated people should own luxury cars, I am just saying that the majority of people who own MB's are well educated and can speak correctly. It takes much more effort for myself to type slang then normal English. I dont believe its a snobby attitude, its just the truth, if you look at the demographics, the majority of people who drive MB's are well educated and present themself that way as well. I think that "less educated" people, or people who grew up in different financial backgrounds should drive whatever there budget permits (as long as they are not spending all of their disposable income on their car). If they can afford an Accord EX V6 buy that, if they can afford a C-Class, then that, or an S-Class, get that. I am not saying that people who are less educated shouldn't drive nice cars, they should drive what is affordable (or what they want) for them.

Rowdy Audi-
"but opted for a house and a mid level luxury car "
Whats your point?, a mid-level luxury car could easily be a Mercedes (C or E-Class).

No, just b/c "sometimes" you talk slang does not make you false, but I am guessing you talk slang around your friends, joking around, watching a movie/tv show, etc. Not at your work, correct? Where did you go to college?

oggle-
"Third, just because one owns a MB doesn't mean they have to be a total snob"

Totally agree, since when does having good grammar equate to being a snob?

Im not trying to start any arguments here (although it looks like I already have), I am just trying to state that the majority of MB owners are well educated professionals who have good, if not excellent grammar skills. By asking if you can fit 20" rims on your $90K+ car, you are stating that you are not poor.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:36 PM

Rowdy Audi-
Where did you go to college?
I never went to college. I even struggled through highschool. But, I did grow up around construction, machining and automotive. I got hired right out of highschool to design supercharger systems.

But as you said "...I am just saying that the majority of people who own MB's are well educated and can speak correctly."
So he may not fall into the majority or may just prefer to talk in slang... Who really cares.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:41 PM

Exactly...who really cares. I was just trying to answer Pinoy Ballers question, I guess my extra little comment wasn't needed.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:00 PM

Exactly...who really cares. I was just trying to answer Pinoy Ballers question, I guess my extra little comment wasn't needed.
Yeah, and we're all bored at work giving you a hard time.
Don't take it personal.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:03 PM

Heh...Im bored at work as well, so the feelings mutual.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah your right, The extra comment wasnt needed but at least it lets people know what kind of a person you are. Im done with this thread and to all of the people who sent me private messages agreeing and thanking me for responding, its not something I did to get credit for , but just had to clarify on my own behalf.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:49 PM

I feel you took the comment the wrong way (and whoever responded to you via PM), I am not a person who thinks only well educated people should drive MB's (or any luxury vehicle), but was just stating that in general, the majority of MB drivers are well educated.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
I feel you took the comment the wrong way (and whoever responded to you via PM), I am not a person who thinks only well educated people should drive MB's (or any luxury vehicle), but was just stating that in general, the majority of MB drivers are well educated.
Thanks for clearing up your position. I was half joking with my post.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the majority of MB drivers are well educated.
Where are you getting this information from?
Old 06-18-2003, 06:41 PM

Read sig
aight guys...lets all be friends

turbo2 was probably just drunk at that time....(even though he wasn't,lets just put it that way :p )
Old 06-18-2003, 10:12 PM

J Lucas-
Your right, I was making a broad generalization, but I think in general it is an educated statement. If you want proof...Ill get you proof.

Pinoy Baller-
Thanks for trying to put things to rest.