Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

A crucial moment for MB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face A crucial moment for MB

Just visiting from a BMW forum.... and I've gotta say, the new MB styling is off the charts.

If *anyone* from Stuttgart is following this board (and I know you are) PLEASE listen:

The next 18 months are a crucial period for MB. If you've been following the BMW boards (and I know you have), you'll see dozens or even *hundreds* of BMW fans who are disaffected and enraged by the current direction of BMW design. There are lots of us who feel that BMW has taken a nose-dive and would willingly switch to MB .... if ... if ... if....if

you would just give us a MANUAL TRANSMISSION!!!!!

This is MB's chance to capture an entire market segment of frustrated (and perhaps maturing) Bimmerphiles who would like to see Chris Bangle detailing dashboards at the local carwash.

Here's your chance MB. Don't botch it!!!

In any case, keep designing the most beautiful cars on the road.

Liebe und Freude,
--Uberfun

Last edited by uberfun; 07-30-2003 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Uberfun, welcome to MBWorld.

It's true, my wife wanted the Benz for its looks. The Benz tell me it feels used and objectified.

Also, better reliability wouldn't hurt MB either.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:20 PM
Guest0001

i dont want band wagoner bmw people driving MB, i hope mb doesnt sell out. they already have a manual in Cs. that should be enough.

MB is a luxury car. luxury cars should not come in manual especially high end ones
Old 07-31-2003, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
BMW's new design is crap. I agree that if MB want to take the market they need to act fast.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:38 PM

Exclamation

Also another point to MB is not to follow the slanted fish-tail design like BMW and MAYBACH(which is an MB product and to me is a total disapointment)! Also I hope they come up with not as confusing controls and don't implement a little plastic column shifter! I'm not too sure if any of our input on this board matters to MB, but if it does I hope they pay close attention. If it doesn't matter............it really should!!!! For all of us on the MBWORLD forums I hope we won't be let down! Just my 2 cents!!!

DOMINIC
Old 07-31-2003, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
AMGs should at least come with the option of a manual, or if not, something like the SMG.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:08 PM
Guest0001

Originally posted by oggle
AMGs should at least come with the option of a manual, or if not, something like the SMG.
thats not going to happen

over 90% of people driving AMGs are not going to buy stick

Trending Topics

Old 07-31-2003, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by noblert10

You making that statistic up or is it published somewhere?

For the SMG/manual, at least they should do it for the C class. Many young people drive those so that'd be the perfect market right there. And no not just for the C230. Many ppl like the sedan better.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Where did you get those numbers from? PLEASE PROVIDE INFO. Thanks
Originally posted by noblert10

Old 08-01-2003, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!

IMO, I would love a stick (6 speed) if available. If I had the chance to have one in my W210 I would love it. I understand also that MB's are luxury cars. With that said, why is everyone (especially on this board) modding the sh*t out of them?! People are putting all sorts of high performance upgrades on their Benzes and to say that a luxury car should not be avail. in a 6 speed, comon, that doesn't make any sense...
Old 08-01-2003, 11:58 AM

996 Turbo
Actually it makes perfect sense. Most people appreciate more power but DETEST shifting I know plenty of people who are like that.

My parents both learnt on manul trannies and continued to do so till about 20 years ago. Face it look at Ferraris and see the percentage of cars that are ordered with the F1 tranny or for that matter look at the percentage of M3s that come with SMG II.

There is a very small die hard community of people who enjoy manual transmissions and that number will continue to diminish as time goes on.

You will never see a manual tranny in a high end MB. Look for a SMG II/SSG/F1 tranny in the next 5 years.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't think that so called "die hard community of people who enjoy manual transmissions" will ever diminish as long as the need for high performance is still in people. I just think it's a matter of preference and the option should be avail. to those who want it! I am not bashing the auto as I still like it but for the person that has the money to spend on an expensive luxury car and wishes the option of a 6 speed, they are spending the money so I think it should be avail...My 2 centz.
Old 08-02-2003, 05:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by jimmydagreek

IMO, I would love a stick (6 speed) if available. If I had the chance to have one in my W210 I would love it. I understand also that MB's are luxury cars. With that said, why is everyone (especially on this board) modding the sh*t out of them?! People are putting all sorts of high performance upgrades on their Benzes and to say that a luxury car should not be avail. in a 6 speed, comon, that doesn't make any sense...
You tell 'em! I mean, half the ppl on this board have lowered their cars or added larger wheels. All that does is take the "luxury" out of their luxury cars!
Old 08-02-2003, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can't argue with that.........

You tell 'em! I mean, half the ppl on this board have lowered their cars or added larger wheels. All that does is take the "luxury" out of their luxury cars!
Old 08-02-2003, 12:14 PM

996 Turbo
I'd put good money that less than 5% on the people on this board have modified their car in any way shape or form. At most people have changed the rims and left it at that.

You might be visiting the C32 forums too much
Old 08-02-2003, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by FInality
I'd put good money that less than 5% on the people on this board have modified their car in any way shape or form. At most people have changed the rims and left it at that.

Actually neither you nor I know the exact stats, but many ppl have changed at least their wheels to a bigger-sized one. Once you do that the ride will suffer. This means less luxury, more visual appeal.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Old 08-04-2003, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Where did you get those figures from????????????
Old 08-05-2003, 01:51 AM

996 Turbo
Just take a look at the modified MBs on the road they are few and far between. Those that are modded have minor work done to them.

Most modders list the mods they did to their car which is quite evident in the C class forums where a lot of younger buyers are enthusiastic about modifying their cars.

Nothing wrong with it but it just distorts the image of the number of modifications people do.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just take a look at the modified MBs on the road they are few and far between. Those that are modded have minor work done to them.
You're right about that, the only thing you're missing is the rich old people driving them. You don't see many old people chatting in this forum do you? The topic of discussion is your stated "5%" of people in this forum, right?! Not people on the road.

Most modders list the mods they did to their car which is quite evident in the C class forums where a lot of younger buyers are enthusiastic about modifying their cars.
You should check out the W210 forums including the E55's (where I spend most of my time) as there are more than your stated "5%" that have modified cars. Upgrading or changing your wheels is also some sort of modification to your car.

Nothing wrong with it but it just distorts the image of the number of modifications people do.
Again, you can't compare the number of people on the road with modified MB's as to the number of people in this forum (especially because of the elderly age difference).