Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

2011 GL350 diesel - can it tow a trailer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL350
2011 GL350 diesel - can it tow a trailer?

It's rated to tow 7500 lbs. and has a heavy-duty hitch, but we're getting information that it's designed to tow flat-beds and boats, not trailers, even ultra-lights that are well below the weight limit. Our dealership isn't helping us get this information. Towing is part of the reason we bought it, with the dealer's assurance that we could do so. Now we're not so sure.

Does anyone know anything about this?

TIA!
Old 01-20-2015, 07:12 PM

GL350, C350
I assume you're talking about enclosed trailers? If that's the case I haven't had the chance to tow one, only about 3,000 pounds on our flatbed. However, with a fully enclosed trailer that was under the max tow rating and max tongue load when loaded up I would have no hesitation pulling it. Just be sure you have an adapter plugged in if the trailer has LED lights. If you don't then the LED lights won't draw enough current to register in the vehicle and the vehicle will start telling you there's a trailer light out. I had that problem with my trailer when I installed LED lights. The inline adapter available online or from the dealer will fix it.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:36 PM

2011 GL350
Yes, we want to tow a travel trailer. Not sure what the differences are, if the weights are the same.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2003 S500 4Matic (SOLD) + 2004 S55 (SOLD) 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
The problem will be not so much the towing capacity but rather the hitch system you choose to use. I have little doubt the vehicle can pull the trailer, assuming the total weight towed is below the maximum rating for the vehicle. Without some sort of sway control receiver you will most likely experience some a of sway especially when being passed by a larger vehicle. This will be not only uncomfortable but possibly dangerous if the swaying becomes too advanced. If at all possible you need to avoid the trailer controlling the tower as opposed to the towing vehicle controlling the trailer. Have fun.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:44 AM

2011 GL350
We have the weight distribution hitch and the sway control system, as well as the brake controller and all the other stuff needed for towing. The vehicle also has the factory-installed 4" Class 4 hitch. My only question is about the general appropriateness of towing with this car. We don't want a truck because our vehicle will be used for towing between 5% and 10% of the time; the rest of the time it will be our daily car and we don't want to drive a truck around town.

The towing capacity numbers are fine, except for one thing: the hitch weight, which is quite low for a hunky car like this. We've also been warned that because MBs are considered luxury cars instead of work-horses, we could damage the frame if we try to tow with it. The hitch connects to the sides of the chassis. And finally, someone mentioned that it could tow a flat-bed or boat, but not a full travel trailer, which is why I wondered why it maters what we tow as long as the weight numbers are OK.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:51 PM

GL350, C350
Originally Posted by Penguinlady
We have the weight distribution hitch and the sway control system, as well as the brake controller and all the other stuff needed for towing. The vehicle also has the factory-installed 4" Class 4 hitch. My only question is about the general appropriateness of towing with this car. We don't want a truck because our vehicle will be used for towing between 5% and 10% of the time; the rest of the time it will be our daily car and we don't want to drive a truck around town.

The towing capacity numbers are fine, except for one thing: the hitch weight, which is quite low for a hunky car like this. We've also been warned that because MBs are considered luxury cars instead of work-horses, we could damage the frame if we try to tow with it. The hitch connects to the sides of the chassis. And finally, someone mentioned that it could tow a flat-bed or boat, but not a full travel trailer, which is why I wondered why it maters what we tow as long as the weight numbers are OK.
At the risk of sounding curt, if MB didn't think you could, or should, tow with the GL350 they wouldn't put on a Class 4 hitch with all the necessary wiring (7-pin at that) and then rate it for 7,000 pounds towing capacity. Also, for as little as you're going to tow, and with all the sway control equipment you have, I wouldn't hesitate to hook it up and go. I'm not sure who advised you that you could damage the frame towing a travel trailer but I would question that advice. A travel trailer will catch more air than flatbeds or some boats, but as long as you're sensible and don't exceed the vehicles specs then you should have no worries. Even if something did happen to damage the vehicle then it should be warrantied if you're within the MB guidelines.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:29 PM

2011 GL350
We were told, in great detail by a mechanic, that unless the tow vehicle has a ladder-bar frame, a WDH could eventually wreck the frame. The transfer of weight onto the vehicle will eventually cause the frame to sag - doors will no longer close and fit properly, trim will misalign, etc.

The fact that the manual says nothing at all about a WDH causes us to believe that it's not a wise thing to use on this car. I'd love to believe as you do, that if it was verboten, it would say so, but knowing how cautious and lawyer-run the manufacturers are, we're taking the cautious route and not using it to tow.

Which is what we bought it for. So now we have a beautiful but expensive vehicle that we can't use for its intended purpose and that we don't need. Sheesh.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:30 PM

2011 GL350
Forgot to mention - the MB GL350 does not have a ladder-bar frame.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 S600 Designo, 03 SL500, 03 ML500, 2016 E400
Very few trucks/SUVs have a ladder bar frame straight from the manufacturer. It's usually a customization one would make after buying the vehicle. Under the theory that you need a ladder bar frame to tow a travel trailer would mean that most SUV/trucks aren't able to tow in stock condition. This of course is ridiculous since most people tow with stock vehicles, and you will not have any problem towing with your GL350.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Where exactly did this mechanic who told you this work?

There are plenty of good ol' boys who will scoff at anything that isn't an F350 or Chevrolet 3500 towing a trailer. If you are within your limits for tongue weight and trailer weight, you will be fine.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
I have a friend who tows an enclosed race car trailer, far over the weight limit, with his GL diesel, and he swears by it. In fact I am looking into swapping my wife's R Class diesel for a GL for just this purpose. I will ask him all the details over the weekend and post his response.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:08 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Originally Posted by Zax63
I have a friend who tows an enclosed race car trailer, far over the weight limit, with his GL diesel, and he swears by it. In fact I am looking into swapping my wife's R Class diesel for a GL for just this purpose. I will ask him all the details over the weekend and post his response.
Sorry for the late response to a month old post, but just spoke with my friend who tows a race car hauler with his GL diesel. He says that with all gear he is pushing 8500-9k pounds, and as long as he keeps it below 80 it tows great. He uses it on extended trips about 5 times a year and has had no problems. He came from a 3/4 ton truck, and is shocked at how competent the benz is for towing.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:28 AM

GL 350 Bluetec 2015
Smile GL350 Towing

I have a 2011 GL350 and I tow with it often. I am in the military and I tow a enclosed Big Tex 17' V nose trailer from Killeen Tx to Charlotte NC about 10x, five there full with an average weight of 6500lbs and back empty. I had NO issues at all! In fact I had to make myself maintain a steady speed. This SUV definitely can tow much more than 7500lbs. It is limited by law because of weight restrictions of the vehicle in comparison to what is being towed. 75 MPH, with the trailer is a non issue and I have not experienced sway with the V nose trailer. On occasion, when I pass 18 wheelers, it will shift a little but what do you expect when traveling at those speeds, its normal. I do not use a weight distro hitch, I just make sure the tongue weight is not exceeded by using the 12% ruled.

I also use a Tekonsha Prodigy break controller so I did not have to install anything into the vehicle. The break controller mounts on the trailer and is controlled by the remote in the vehicle. It has worked perfect every time for me. It is an electric brake controller.