Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

A Luxury Car is a result of...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a Benzer anymore
A Luxury Car is a result of...

What determines what a luxury car is?

Price?
Features?
Reputation?

??

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2004, 11:52 PM

Lexus GS 450h
I have a lot to say but tired. But I will say the lines that were once very distinct as what was lux and what was not are VERY BLURRY right now.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:54 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
i would say all of those plus...safety, and performance.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:06 AM
Guest0001

IMO luxury cars = Status symbol. (ie Mercedes-Benz, Pre-Bangle BMWs)
Old 03-14-2004, 06:47 AM

C 32 AMG (203.065)
Originally posted by Noble C320
IMO luxury cars = Status symbol. (ie Mercedes-Benz, Pre-Bangle BMWs)
..Pre-Bangle BMWs ..

very good point
Old 03-14-2004, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
I think a luxury car is a blend of all those. They're not required to be super fast or super glue in corners, but they must have a good blend of all those characteristics. One thing a luxury car must have is ALL the bells and whistles and latest technology.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Today, I realised how beautiful the old 7 Series was. It grabbed my attention every time we passed one, and in a way it sorta had this like prescence on the road commanding everybodies attention...................I like it.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:30 AM
Guest0001

Originally posted by IluvS500
Today, I realised how beautiful the old 7 Series was. It grabbed my attention every time we passed one, and in a way it sorta had this like prescence on the road commanding everybodies attention...................I like it.
Yeah the old 7 is a classic. much like the 140 S class. Too bad Im not a fan of huge cars or id buy one as a beater. now the E39 and 210 Id consider! 2 more classics.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Luxery cars should be exclusive!!!! Not something that everyone else has.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:33 AM

C 32 AMG (203.065)
Originally posted by IluvS500
Since watching "The Transporter" I beginn to love it more and more
Old 03-16-2004, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you just saw the transporter?
Old 03-16-2004, 06:38 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 Lexus ES 330 NAV/ML
Luxury Car =
1. high quality service
2. high quality materials
3. high quality engineering/fit/finish
3. super plush and comfortable
4. includes most/all of the conveniences and features available standard

Main Entry: lux·u·ry
Pronunciation: 'l&k-sh(&-)rE, -zh(&-)rE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ries
Etymology: Middle English luxurie, from Middle French, from Latin luxuria rankness, luxury, excess; akin to Latin luxus luxury, excess
1 archaic : LECHERY, LUST
2 : a condition of abundance or great ease and comfort : sumptuous environment <lived in luxury>
3 a : something adding to pleasure or comfort but not absolutely necessary b : an indulgence in something that provides pleasure, satisfaction, or ease <had the luxury of rejecting a handful of job offers... before accepting a choice assignment -- Terri Minsky>
- luxury adjective
Old 03-16-2004, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
Leave it to Gekko to plagiarize yet another publication. Gekko, how would you like it if someone took your words? Oh thats right, you cant speak for yourself.
I think a luxury car right now is defined as a BMW, Jaguar, Lexus, and Mercedes. It has become a little bit less defined lately because quite honestly...if you look...more cars have leather, navis, etc. There really is only so much you can put into a car tech wise that is cutting edge these days, as most car makers are doing what MB, Lexus, etc. did.
Look at Xenons....it used to signify luxury...but now you see them on GMC Jimmys or Saturns.
DVD players....they are in every minivan now.
Big rims....20" on FX45, etc.
Navi...enough said, alot of cars have that now.

I dont consider Audi, VW, Infiniti to necessarily be luxury cars....nice cars with lots of options yes, but not in the class of the big 4. I am wondering if when Lexus started producing cars, what the opinion was on them at the time, where they automatically presumed to be luxury cars or did it take a year or two before they caught on?
Old 03-17-2004, 12:54 AM

Lexus GS 450h
I think build quality is huge. Like so many cheap cars have wood or fake wood and leather. But they feel like crap. Features, that luxury cars are going to have to step up with since Traction control and NAV can be had on cheap cars.

Of course prestige and panache, big BMW and Benz things and Lexus a far 3rd. The others are well, the others.

Dealer service, getting a nice loaner, having a car people aspire too. Details, luxury cars have details inside and out that cheap cars don't have.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 Lexus ES 330 NAV/ML
mjr24 - whatever, wannabe.

Last edited by Gekko; 03-17-2004 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:57 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
SICKLEX is right on. My opinion in regards to "luxury" or "ultra-luxury" products is in the "details." Technology and innovation are essentially details and enhanced/revolutiony/evolutionary engineering is based on abundant details. That's the difference between Maybach and the standard production Mercedes. Lexus vs. Toyota. Acura vs. Honda, Infiniti vs. Nissan. Although luxury in itself has different facets.

Case in point, I don't consider my FX45 in the same class of luxury as most Mercedes although it has superior technology. The details of double-stitched leather, quality of materials (real wood veneers, textures, alcantara, etc.), ergonomics, exclusivity, custom/special options, rare combinationsm etc. all are extravagances that contribute to the perception of true luxury.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:31 AM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hey guys,

i think audi has to be included in this group.
the new A8L is stunning and the new S4 is terrific.
just my two cents.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:31 AM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hey guys,

i think audi has to be included in this group.
the new A8L is stunning and the new S4 is terrific.
just my two cents.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something about audi just puts them in a class of their own(not good or bad). They arent really considered when discussing the cream of the crop of an automobile class. Dont ask me why, its just been that way for quite some time.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Noble C320
Yeah the old 7 is a classic. much like the 140 S class. Too bad Im not a fan of huge cars or id buy one as a beater. now the E39 and 210 Id consider! 2 more classics.
Well, I've been more of a lurker on this site, reading tips here and there that are relative to my vehicle, but then I came across this, I'm not sure as to how I should respond to this comment? How could you even refer to a 7series as a beater? Me buying a C-class as a beater would be more appropriate (no offense intended). But seriously, how can you say that a 7series (or the E39 and 210) as a beater when they are at a whole another level than the C-class you are cruising in?

The 7series is a beautiful car (same goes for the E39 and 210) and should never be refered to as a beater, especially if the vehicle you possess is no where near their level. I mean if you own the new 7series and have a older one as a beater that would be more aceptable as your car of priority surpasses the functions/standards of the "beater".

Sorry if this seems like a direct flame, but I really don't see any reason to belittle a car that is, well better than your own. I understand that you don't like big cars, I'm not too much of a fan myself but have owned a couple big body cars, one of them being a W126 420, which would be more aceptable to label as a beater if you are rollin' in a W203.

-Murdoc
Old 03-23-2004, 12:31 AM
Guest0001

Originally posted by agentMurdoc
Well, I've been more of a lurker on this site, reading tips here and there that are relative to my vehicle, but then I came across this, I'm not sure as to how I should respond to this comment? How could you even refer to a 7series as a beater? Me buying a C-class as a beater would be more appropriate (no offense intended). But seriously, how can you say that a 7series (or the E39 and 210) as a beater when they are at a whole another level than the C-class you are cruising in?

The 7series is a beautiful car (same goes for the E39 and 210) and should never be refered to as a beater, especially if the vehicle you possess is no where near their level. I mean if you own the new 7series and have a older one as a beater that would be more aceptable as your car of priority surpasses the functions/standards of the "beater".

Sorry if this seems like a direct flame, but I really don't see any reason to belittle a car that is, well better than your own. I understand that you don't like big cars, I'm not too much of a fan myself but have owned a couple big body cars, one of them being a W126 420, which would be more aceptable to label as a beater if you are rollin' in a W203.

-Murdoc
Hey there, Congrats on your first post here. Im glad my statement made you come out of your hole.

Im just kidding.

Allright, In no way did I mean to disrespect the afformentioned cars in my post. The reason I mentioned "beater" was that they are older cars and I could pick one up for about 25-30 grand with some decent mileage. Thats less then what I bought my C320 for which I got for 44,000. In my eyes the "140" car would be "lesser" since it is already beat up from previous owners (most likely) and is an older model and it can be bought for a pretty cheap price. But you are right I should have used a better term than "beater". But again they are USED cars and can be bought for cheap since they depreciated. But that does not take away from the the cars credentials by any means. I also appoligize for only driving a C-Class. I am only 20 yr old University student.

Last edited by Guest0001; 03-23-2004 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:06 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Originally posted by RU_MATRX
SICKLEX is right on. My opinion in regards to "luxury" or "ultra-luxury" products is in the "details." Technology and innovation are essentially details and enhanced/revolutiony/evolutionary engineering is based on abundant details. That's the difference between Maybach and the standard production Mercedes. Lexus vs. Toyota. Acura vs. Honda, Infiniti vs. Nissan. Although luxury in itself has different facets.

Case in point, I don't consider my FX45 in the same class of luxury as most Mercedes although it has superior technology. The details of double-stitched leather, quality of materials (real wood veneers, textures, alcantara, etc.), ergonomics, exclusivity, custom/special options, rare combinationsm etc. all are extravagances that contribute to the perception of true luxury.
I'm from NZ, live in the UK.

I drove the Infiniti FX45 in California last week.

Loved it. This car is absolutely brilliant! I would buy one tomorrow ahead of any Merc if you could get them in RHD.

Don't apologize for it - the whole concept and execution is totally brilliant - everything I would ever want in a car or wagon.
This is my favourite car of all time - and I have driven a lot!

Not just the electronics - ahead of their time - but the whole package is absolutely ideal. Size is just right, perhaps a harsher ride - but the performance and interior and exterior styling is simply bloody wonderful.

Stay with your choice - this is the world's most under-rated vehicle - believe me....
Old 03-27-2004, 09:46 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
Hi Mustard:

I agree with your thoughts exactly. I should have stated that the FX45 wasn't created to be a luxury-oriented SUV, instead a world-class SUV with impressive handling and power very well in the same lines as many class-leading sports sedans. I was focusing on the details and extravagances (usually not practical by adding weight and higher maintenance) that separate true luxury vs. a practical luxury vehicle. The FX45 is by far the best SUV package I've ever owned and driven. There are no peers period. It puts my previous 2002 ML55 AMG to shame in terms of performance and handling, ride (even with the large, heavier 20" Chrome wheels) as well as fit and finish, technology. Mine has every option on it including the DVD TV , back-up camera, LoJack and I still love it. The bold styling and aggressive wide stance is perfect!
Old 03-28-2004, 04:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350S4
Originally posted by J Lucas
Something about audi just puts them in a class of their own(not good or bad). They arent really considered when discussing the cream of the crop of an automobile class. Dont ask me why, its just been that way for quite some time.
It's because of the terrible rep they had in the late 80's/early 90's. Almost pulled out of the US market, like Renault (which, btw, might be coming back, as well as the Yugo) did.

I think Audi is an up-and-comer, since they've been doing great things for the past few years. Cadillac is also rebuilding their rep (CTS-V is supposed to be awesome), and Infiniti has really doing a great job recently, too. Jaguar, while I'd rank them up there, and while they're also sorta improving, I still consider a little stagnant.

Here's an interesting question that I saw on a different forum (I forget which one):

Rank the following in terms of "luxury"-ness (interpret that how you will)...

Acura,
Audi,
BMW,
Cadillac,
Infiniti,
Jaguar,
Lexus,
Lincoln,
Mercedes,
Porsche,
Saab,
Volvo.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:36 AM
Guest0001

Originally posted by Incendiary

Rank the following in terms of "luxury"-ness (interpret that how you will)...

Acura,-
Audi,-
BMW,-
Cadillac,-
Infiniti, -
Jaguar, -
Lexus, -
Lincoln, -
Mercedes, -
Porsche,
Saab, -
Volvo.-
Luxury rankings according to Noble.

1 Mercedes-Benz
2 BMW
3 Lexus
4 Jaguar
5 Audi
6 Infiniti
7 Volvo
8 Acura
9 Saab
10 Lincoln
11 Cadillac
12 Porsche

Last edited by Guest0001; 03-28-2004 at 04:50 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A Luxury Car is a result of...