Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

old navigation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 01:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 63 AMG
old navigation

I recently purchased a clk 500 04 with navigation but i think the navigation is horrible ive been in other cars with navigation and the navigation is 10 times better then the benz but we pay so much and get so little whats the deal with that?
my mother has a s500 and got dvd navigation i payed 2700 extra for a nav that i have in my old clk430 that dosnt do anything except talk

my suggestions
1)nav should show the song on radio and artist
2)when putting a cd in the system should recognize the artist and track
3)the map should say what block im on and list the other blocks ajacent to it

This nav situation has been pissing me off and mercedes has to do somthing about it and does anyone else have opinions or somthing i can do like get a new cd or complain and mabye pay diffrence to get dvd?
Old 04-24-2004, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i don't have any opinions or suggestions for what u could do but i feel ur dislike for the nav in the CLK. i've been in the w209 with the nav and most of the tmie, we were drivin in the middle of nowhere and the nav screen isn't all too appealing to me. compared to a lexus nav, the lexus beats it hands down. yes it is sad that u guys paid so much more for the nav and got so little
Old 04-26-2004, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Navigation system

Nav systems in M Benz cars are NOT as friendly and precise as many (if not all) other Nav systems... like in the postings above, in my experience, I have seen much cheaper vehicles (Jeeps, Acuras, etc) having better, precise Nav systems that came with those vehicles from manufacturer where are you drive, it tells you where you are in the block you are driving.. which I found helpful... in my C32, I found the navigation system sometimes loses its "wack" --for lack of better word-- suddenly when I am driving and form appearing on the screen on the road, it sometimes completely blanks out while on the same road and tells me I am driving "off the road"... a few seconds later (as I am driving on the freeway per say at high way speeds) the screen comes back with the image where I am... on other vehicles that I have under the same conditions and same road, it doesn't happen (the blank out and so on that my Mercedes encounters)... so I will agree with the "**** off" guy that MBenz's Nav system is "not" all that good.... the sad part is, that most of the time, I know where I am going,... so the navigation system just is there to "look good"... and those few times where I really need the system, sometimes in the middle of going somewhere it freaks out!!!...

When I go to visit my family in Europe, I do get the chance to complain in person at the manufacturer in Affalterbach, Germany (aprox once a year) though... ... same thing with the cup holders... what idiot design those???? and coin holders... is sad to say... but here in the US we tend to be used to the simplest but necessary stuff... in my case, cup holders man!!!... I want them comfortable, not fancy that pop up and swivell up and down and so on... I just want them to hold any beverage I place from cans, to cups, super size drinks, etc... whelp?? M Benz's don't seem to be able to do that at all!!!... even my wife's BMW which use most of the same parts fromthe same plant that M Benz use have better cup holders... and in my wife's car, it costs less than HALF what I paid for mine... lol... (reason why she is on my case all the time as to how nice her bimmer looks and how with much less the car is actually better! on those items)... bimmer has a coin holder for our nickels, dimes and quarters... whelp??? M Benz only has it on "certain" cars... the C32 has "something" that holds coins... but is not especific... is next to the cigarrete lighter... the new E class.. I don't even think it has a coin holder!!! (I have a new E55 and I don't see the coin holder).. SL55 AMG has a "normal" for US standards coin holder... as I said... simple stuff that should be there as a given is missing or it lacks on design... tech stuff like the nav system, just has a lot to be desired out of them...

Wiedermann
Old 04-26-2004, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300SEL
I don't own a car with navigation, obviously, read my sig.

However, I have used the navigation extensively in the cars of people I know '04 E55k, '04 E500, '01 C320, and '01 S55. All of these navis performed flawlessly and never failed to get us to our destination. Quite simply, it's an electronic map that talks to you. I'm not sure what you are looking for. I don't want a Japanese pinball machine in my dashboard with graphics and what not. So it doesn't recognize the artist, can't your ears do that? I'm pretty sure you can program that in anyway (try looking in the OM), but again I don't live with navi everyday.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Nav system (extra)

Yup Mr schwarzwagen (aka Jon)... you are right... I did read your posting... I just wanted to "add" my 2 cents on this... AND then some!!!

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 04-26-2004, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Hey Wiedermann,

I'm sorry to hear that your navi has random "blackout" conditions. I have yet to experience that particular irritation. I would welcome the suggestion of having the street blocks called out, that would definitely be helpful in finding one's way.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Nav systems

Mr Jon:

I have seen the version of Nav ssytems on Jeep cars (made under the Chrysler corporation, owned now by M Benz) that have that feature that call the blocks... so the technology is there... is just that M Benz doesn't use it...

I had the problem with the "black out" in my Nav sytem once before... I am in the middle of a well known freeway... still going to my destination... all the sudden the car said I was "off the road" and the entire Nav system map disappeared from the screen... I just had the dot of what my car was... that was it.. few moments later, the whole map returned... next time I went I was driving my Lincoln Navigator, and it didn't have the same problem...

What I would like to see on M Benz is them fixing those bad "cup holder" designs they have on ALL their vehicles... what a piece of crap!!!... they are fancy looking and open, flip and do anything "nicely" but they can't hold the drinks like any of my other vehicles can so different size drinks can be held by the car's cup holder.. and coin holders please on all cars!!!!

When I was at their plant last year, I went and looked at their cars... most of them didn't have coin holders... well I was in Germany where denomination is different... but they told me... not all their cars had it even for a US edition vehicle... which I told them was "un-acceptable" as any cheap car here has them!...lol

Of course, I would not question the technology and power AMG vehicles and M Benz have!!... by far they are better than any competition that you throw at them... so is difficult to be "completely" disappointed...

Cheers!!

Wiedermann
Old 04-26-2004, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
So Cal gathering

Mr Jon:

It seems we live just near by each other... I live in Thousand Oaks, Ca, and for what I see you are in Westlake Village, Ca I would assume... this upcoming weekend I am planning to meet another forum member Silva32 to see his car with all the mods he is put into it... FrankW from the forums is also coming from Diamond Bar. If you are interested, we could all go to this meeting in Santa Barbara and take some pics, etc

Let me know if you are interested (time is flex and will not be an all day event, we are shooting for mid afternoon sort a thing)

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 04-26-2004, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Wiedermann,

The MB cupholders are designed for 12oz cans in my best estimation and if you think your's suck, well you should see the lame excuse for cupholders I have in my W126! I have two recesses on the backside of the glovebox door...

My sister is graduating from Pepperdine on May 1st, so I sadly cannot attend the gtg. I am open to future gtg's though, I can bring my W126 and perhaps I can convince my friend to bring his E55k...
Old 04-26-2004, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
So Cal gathering

What: Benz, BMW, Audi, Porsche etc Get Together
Where: Pasadena Rosebowl Parking Lot K
Time: 10:30am
Schedule: Basically we all try to meet up at around 10:30ish at the parking lot and then talk and check out each others cars and stuff. Then leave around 11:30am-12:00p.m. or so to get lunch and such. Then discuss what everyone wants to do after that. Pls no fancy driving or doing burnouts and drive safely.
The date is May 8th
The time has been moved to 10:30 for the "non-early birds" Hopefully this will make it easier for people to get ready and come out. I am hopin this will be a good meet.

I also have a new E55, maybe we can check mine against your friend's one

Let me know if you can for that one

Cheers

Wiedermann
Old 04-27-2004, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I'm in Thousand Oaks as well and will be going to the May 8th GTG. If you guys want to caravan there let me know.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Thousand Oaks!

Hey there:

Where in Thousand Oaks do you live???... though --as you may know-- there are plenty M Benz in our town -- and all the other nice brands for that matter--... for some reason people just keep them stock!!!... which kinda sucks... if you have time throughout the week to get together, let me know... I am off of Lynn Road and Janns...

Cheers

Wiedermann
Old 04-27-2004, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
I'm up by Westlake and Kanan.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Thousand Oaks, Ca meeting

Ok Mr. awiner... let me know if you have time to meet in the next few days... and we will set up the time to meet..

Wiedermann
Old 04-27-2004, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
I live at the end of Westlake Blvd, so awiner (Adam) and myself are pretty near each other. I didn't realize there were so many Westlake/TO ppl on the board, this is a pleasant surprise.

I can attend the May 8th gtg, so if you guys want to caravan that's cool. I also talked to my friend with the E55k and he said he wouldn't be apposed to attending either.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
So Cal gathering May 08th, 2004

Ok Mr schwarzwagen (Jon) and awiner (Adam): It seems we are all going to the gathering on May 08th. I think I am the farthest away from you guys (Lynn & Janns Rd), if you two don't mind, I would meet you guys right up where you live and we caravan in multiple cars (I want to take my car that day and follow you). As Mr schwarzwagen said, it is a pleasant surprise that there are several people from the Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village and hopefully some others will surface up from maybe Moorpark and Simi Valley (California for those that are not from familiar with the cities ). We should swap out info and check via email for the time, point where we will meet, etc. My email is: Wiedermann@aol.com, please do send me your info ...

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 04-29-2004, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
See:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&postid=692975

for more info on the GTG and Caravan.