Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Poor experience Mercedes Benz of USA and CPO warranty 40+ days at the dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLS450
Poor experience Mercedes Benz of USA and CPO warranty 40+ days at the dealer

Bought CPO GLS 450 with 40K miles on it in July of 2021 from one of the local dealers. The car had all the options I wanted, real leather seats and driver assistance.

1. In the first 30 days had to take the car back to the dealer as the car was shaking above 60mph. The dealer diagnosed the car and replaced 2 of the tires and the problem went away. (the car at the dealer for 7 days)

2. Two month later the rear of the car would go all the way down if not driven for two days. Called the dealer and they told me its normal, another 30 days goes by and now suspension lowers every day. Take the car to the dealer they find a leak in rear suspension, 7 days later I get my car back

3. I come back after new years vacation start my car and the engine is shaking, I let the car warm up and the shaking goes away. The car is fine for a week and the engine starts shaking again. Every time the temperature is in the 20 the engine will shake until warmed up. I call the dealer and explain the situation to them. They told me that they do not have any loaners and made an appointment for me in 3 weeks. I bring the car in and they call me in a couple of days and say there is an issue with camshafts and they will fix the issue, two weeks go by and the car is not ready. I call them and now its an issue with an oil pump. The dealer says that they need a special technician with some certification to work on the car 30 days goes by and the car is still not ready. Spoke to sales manager and he said he will find out why its taking so long a few days later the manager calls me back and says that they are still working on the issue. I asked if they can buy the car back so I can get something else from them that is more reliable, he said he will check once the car is ready and let me know how much he can offer for my car. He told me to call MB of USA and see if they will buy the car back from me.

The car is still at the dealer after 40+ days, I had to call MB of USA multiple times a day leave messages and no one would call me back and finally today I get a call back from Roman Hunt Executive Referral Manager at Mercedes-Benz USA. I spent about 30 min with him on the phone explaining to him that both me and my wife had Mercedes cars for 25+ years and that I would like to get another Mercedes and just need a credit of what I paid for my car to be applied to another Mercedes. During the lengthy conversation with Roman I was very polite and tried to explain to him the situation, he was not interested in helping me at all he was just reading from a script and was saying the same thing over and over again that he can offer the sales credit of $1500. At the end of conversation he started getting very angry and said that he is the top manager and no one at MB of USA will be able to overrule his decision and that I cannot talk to anyone else. He was not even willing to pay for half of 2 year extended CPO warranty and just refused to listen and work with me. 40+ days with out my car with no apology or help offered every week they say that car will be ready next week. I am at the point where I do not trust my car to last very long before it ends up at the dealer again and at the same time I no longer have trust in MB of USA. This is not the same company as it used to be, I bought my first Mercedes about 25 years ago and never really had any major issues, my wife leases and I usually buy CPO. The service is not the same as it used to be. It feels like I am calling HP support that is outsourced and all they do is just read from the script and are not really interested in helping or understanding the issue.

Last edited by leogsx97; 03-16-2022 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:29 AM

Received 143 Likes on 118 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Unfortunately, your experience is not unusual. The bottom line is that CPO means very little and "buyer beware" is still the order of the day. I bought a CPO car and had to deal with an "Executive Referral Manager" as well, and despite the sound of it, that title does not indicate someone high up the food chain (he's lying when he says there's no one above him). Mine was every bit as disinterested as yours was, did nothing but regurgitate scripted responses, and repeatedly promised callbacks that never came.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
1991 964 Turbo, 2002 Black E55, 2002 Black E55 " The Beast"- 2014 E63s
CPO means ****... Save that certification money and buy a good extended warranty instead. Even if the car is CPO, ask them to take the certification off and buy without it, you'd be glad you did.
Old 03-17-2022, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,449 Likes on 957 Posts
No more MB:(
CPO is only as good as the people performing inspection. Subjective and quite possibly unreliable.
Old 03-17-2022, 12:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,915 Likes on 3,082 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
MBUSA is a rubbish sales agent for a rubbish brand. Sorry to hear of your difficulties.
Old 03-17-2022, 01:32 PM
SPONSOR

Received 233 Likes on 179 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
CPO means ****... Save that certification money and buy a good extended warranty instead. Even if the car is CPO, ask them to take the certification off and buy without it, you'd be glad you did.
^ Exactly, CPO coverage compared to top tier 3rd party warranty coverage is terrible, especially for the terms and price.
Old 03-18-2022, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLS450
Finally got my car back after 45 days, was driving GLC 300 during that time. The GLC has a very rough ride and MSRP is 51K

Local dealer also not willing to help and just told me to get extended CPO warranty for additional 2 years which will bring my total warranty for 3 years.

I am not sure what to do at this point from what they told me and from the report it looks like there was a problem with oil pump seal which they fixed and tested oil pressure which is good. The car drives good but I am kind of worried and not sure if I should trade it in, buy additional warranty or just hope for the best. I heard too many stories about third parties warranty so I will only go for Mercedes warranty. Mercedes-Benz USA is not the same company anymore even Executive Referral Manager is just reading from the script felt like I called outsourced HP support.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,915 Likes on 3,082 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Dump the car and buy something else. MB doesn't care, sadly.
Old 03-18-2022, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
1991 964 Turbo, 2002 Black E55, 2002 Black E55 " The Beast"- 2014 E63s
it would be much easier to unload it with 3 year of extended warranty.... Buy the extra 2 years and unload the POS as fast as you can. I am sure with warranty you can ask more for it too.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (03-18-2022)