GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Is it just me?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Question Is it just me?

I recently bought the GL450 - i was so excited that there was a luxury vehicle that I could take to the mountains and pull the motorcycle trailer. (Used to take the wife's Excursion for these quarterly trips)...

I have a big family so the third seat is a must have. Considered the Escalade but always wanted a Mercedes...

Now that I have it - the family is miserable. The a/c doesn't cool the rear seat. (Barely cools center seat) Since we live in Florida - thats a big deal in a black car with black interior. I have talked to the dealer a couple of times - they said people do not use the third seat for passengers...although he knew i have 5 kids.

Am I the only one unhappy with the hot rear seat?

By the way .... I also have the airmatic suspension problem i've been reading about. I've had my car about 5 weeks - airmatic problems the first week. Now I know this is not just me... Thanks to all who post.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Almost a Member!

I guess you didn't get the 3 zone climate control? Or do you have it but still unhappy with its performance?

I have had the car a month now and both myself and my wife love it. We've had no problems whatsoever.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:17 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by jayj
I guess you didn't get the 3 zone climate control? Or do you have it but still unhappy with its performance?

I have had the car a month now and both myself and my wife love it. We've had no problems whatsoever.
I imagine if you're going to have black on black then you'd need the 3-zone. I'm not even going to consider one without it. Sorry for your issues. I doubt that could be retrofit.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:48 PM

GL450
didn't know about the 3 zone until a few days ago. Can only blame myself. Didn't do enough homework.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:13 PM
LDH

07 GL450,
manually boost the fan to high speed as the fan runs at a low speed once the front area is satisfied. THis is a common problem in most vehicles.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Bax
Almost a Member!

2007 GL450 Capri Blue
Sorry to hear about that oldlucky. I agree that black on black in Florida with no 3 zone A/C is tough. I like LDH's suggestion with the fan speed though.

What airmatic troubles are you having specifically? I only have 850 miles but I haven't noticed anything wrong.

Just got back from a 500 mile shakedown cruise and drove about 15 miles in a tremendous downpour. Some people have complained about hydroplaning but I was extremely impressed with the hold (19" wheels). At some points the rain was cascading across the road - not sure of the depth but it was definitely a heck of a wake behind the other cars. No hydroplaning at all...I was driving about 45 to 50 mph.

Bax
Old 09-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by oldlucky
didn't know about the 3 zone until a few days ago. Can only blame myself. Didn't do enough homework.
You may want to consider changing your salesman next time around. Not only should the salesman be a walking interactive brochure but a consultant as well. He/she failed in both respects IMO.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:34 PM

'08 SL55
Originally Posted by Bax
Sorry to hear about that oldlucky. I agree that black on black in Florida with no 3 zone A/C is tough. I like LDH's suggestion with the fan speed though.

What airmatic troubles are you having specifically? I only have 850 miles but I haven't noticed anything wrong.

Just got back from a 500 mile shakedown cruise and drove about 15 miles in a tremendous downpour. Some people have complained about hydroplaning but I was extremely impressed with the hold (19" wheels). At some points the rain was cascading across the road - not sure of the depth but it was definitely a heck of a wake behind the other cars. No hydroplaning at all...I was driving about 45 to 50 mph.

Bax
Here in So Cal, 3 zone is a must have. In fact, other than premium package and sunroof, it's the only option I bought. Rear air blows so hard, I sometimes have to assume control of unit from the fromt and override the kids. Love the car so far.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A160 CLASSIC (The Tardis), VW Passat Diesel
not your fault the salesman should help you to make an informed decision.

I would go back to the salesperson in question and let them know your dissatisifaction if no resolution go straight to the top... Perhaps they can offer an exchange on a vehicle with 3 zone at a minimal cost?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:48 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by WishforE55
not your fault the salesman should help you to make an informed decision.

I would go back to the salesperson in question and let them know your dissatisifaction if no resolution go straight to the top... Perhaps they can offer an exchange on a vehicle with 3 zone at a minimal cost?
Mercedes dealership=minimal cost....I'm gonna laugh all day at that one. I understand the logical thought, but ...
Old 09-25-2006, 08:55 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
I have 3-zone and it cools down quite fast.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should of looked ata a brochure, clearly shows the 3 zone or looked at other cars. Seeing it was a priority as you have a full car load, you dropped the ball on that one.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 MB C63s Coupe, 2004 Audi S4, 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder, building Cobra Daytona Coupe now
Looking for more details

It seems that most of the posts indicating a strong need for the 3-zone are black-interiored cars in CA or FL. I've got a beige (Macadamia if I'm worthy) interiored car on order and based on the salesman's recommendation passed on the 3-zone. I live in Connecticut and do plan on using the 3rd row with some frequency. If it's clear the regular air just doesn't cut it I'll try to switch it before it's too late (late Oct build date).

Does anyone have more detail to help me in the decision? For example, even with the regular on full blast does it still not cut it or is it more of a distribution issue (i.e. can't have the front on medium without the rear being hot)? Also, any owners w/o black interiors and also w/o the 3-zone?

Thanks from a newbie - this is my first post!
Old 09-27-2006, 08:51 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
For example, even with the regular on full blast does it still not cut it or is it more of a distribution issue (i.e. can't have the front on medium without the rear being hot)?

i think this is exactly the problem......the rear is two and a half times the size of the front.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:48 AM
MHK

MB S63 AMG Coupe
I have a desert silver with sand beige interior in South Florida without the three zone. We have had no issues with cooling the entire vehicle.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:46 AM

2007 GL450, 2006 Porsche 911, 2004 VROD
Smile

Originally Posted by ABuds
any owners w/o black interiors and also w/o the 3-zone?
Mine is Black on Black w/o 3 Zone. I dont have any problems so far in terms of cooling the whole car.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:00 AM

Depends where I'm going.
Originally Posted by ksdprasad
Mine is Black on Black w/o 3 Zone. I dont have any problems so far in terms of cooling the whole car.
You wouldn't be saying that if you lived in CA. It's so bad here that I had my moonroof tinted with one layer of limo tint even though my A/C blows ice cubes and I have 3 zone A/C! BTW: The rear moonroof is plexiglass and can't be tinted.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:13 AM

Just make sure all the cold air blows only thru the vents facing upwards, ie. towards the roof and little angled towards back aswell. This will force all the cold air travel to the back but will eventually go down (cold air always goes down) and circulate to front as well.

PS: I am waiting for my GL delivery mid next month, didn't order climate control, but I remember I had similar issues with previous ML and solved by above technique. I am in San Jose, CA, last summer was very hot.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
You wouldn't be saying that if you lived in CA. It's so bad here that I had my moonroof tinted with one layer of limo tint even though my A/C blows ice cubes and I have 3 zone A/C! BTW: The rear moonroof is plexiglass and can't be tinted.
I live in Florida and plan on ordering with 3 zone and without sunroof. I may be the only person with a highly optioned no sunroof GL. My wife has a 5 wagon with the beautiful panoramic roof, and I never even open the sunshade due to the heat and the extra windnoise. I figure the 1500 I save for the sunroof package can be put toward a custom K40 radar installation since I get the laminated front windshield with the 3-zone option.

I think this is a great thread as 3-zone is something I was back and forth on.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:11 AM

Depends where I'm going.
Forget the K40, get a V1. I now have 3 of them and wouldn't give them up for all the money in the world! There is a little cutout in the laminated glass at the center bottom of the windshield for a radar detector. There are also cutouts at the top on either side of the rear view mirror but they are more for toll passes and automatic gate transponders. Good choice, I would have deleted the front and rear moonroofs if I could but that's not possible on a PE.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:09 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Forget the K40, get a V1. I now have 3 of them and wouldn't give them up for all the money in the world! There is a little cutout in the laminated glass at the center bottom of the windshield for a radar detector. There are also cutouts at the top on either side of the rear view mirror but they are more for toll passes and automatic gate transponders. Good choice, I would have deleted the front and rear moonroofs if I could but that's not possible on a PE.
Thanks,

I've been running a V1 for the last ten years and have noreason to change, other than the concerns for effectiveness given the laminated glass. Glad to hear that you don't have any issues with yours working-->saves me money!!!
Old 09-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by reed
I live in Florida and plan on ordering with 3 zone and without sunroof. I may be the only person with a highly optioned no sunroof GL...
Reed, beware on your special order. I have been waiting 3 months on my GL because I ordered the 3-zone climate control. I am told by the dealer that I will have it in one more month...4 months!!! WTF!!! I am really pissed off that MB could offer options that it can not deliver. It's not like they have no experience building cars. Come on Dr. Z, let's get it together!!!
Old 09-30-2006, 11:41 AM

'08 SL55
Originally Posted by MBGLGuy
Reed, beware on your special order. I have been waiting 3 months on my GL because I ordered the 3-zone climate control. I am told by the dealer that I will have it in one more month...4 months!!! WTF!!! I am really pissed off that MB could offer options that it can not deliver. It's not like they have no experience building cars. Come on Dr. Z, let's get it together!!!
It's their vendor.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by teeth
It's their vendor.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by teeth
It's their vendor.
Yes, you are right. However, a mark of a good car manufacturer, or any business for that matter, is being able to manage appropriate expectations with vendors. In this, MB has failed. MB has been in business long enough to have built strong relationships with parts vendors who understand what is expected of them. Apparently, MB has underestimated the ineptness of the vendors with which they do business. I hate to sound like I am flaming MB, but come on...I am paying an exorbitant amount of money for quality, right? Either MB needs to lower the prices of their cars to match the quality provided, or replace their management and become MB again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it just me?