GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Is adjustable suspension available even without Off Road Package?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS500, 05 Range Rover, 00 Landcruiser
Is adjustable suspension available even without Off Road Package?

I read couple of car magazines about the GL450 ( Car and Driver and Motortrend, i think) and noticed on their interior photos the presence of adjustable "sport or comfort" suspension button. They also mention that the GL has standard adjustable suspension ie. keep it in comfort mode for carpeted freeway ride.

Upon looking closely on the photo, it appears its a GL without off road package (no locking differential dial etc. ) This suspension button is usually blank on regular GL with no off rod package. How can this be? Unless MB specifically made this special GL for magazine testing. Is it possible now to get this feature outside the ORP package? Quite misleading to think that the regular GL with no ORP has this adjustable suspension feature.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:27 PM
LDH

07 GL450,
Maybe they slipped in a ringer or pre-production units, more likely they just offered test units that have the off-road option. Seemed to work as they are winning all the shoot-outs.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:21 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
No.............you can only adjust the suspension setting with the off-road package. Standard GL's only allow you to raise the vehicle.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:24 PM
JAM

SL600
Here's the real deal... BTW, I have the off road package.

With ot without, both cars have the airmatic suspension.

Without the off road pkg, there is a Sport/Comfort switch, and the vehicle can be raised (on setting).

Off road pkg adds the ability to raise the car to three different levels. MAx level is limited to driving 20MPH. I believe it raises the car 6-7". Also adds the ability to lock the center and rear differentials. Center only, or center and rear. The controls for the offroad package replace the compartment below the climate control. The buttons for LR and DSR move to the offroad control panel. The Parktronic switch moves to a small switch next to the hazard switch, and the switch for parktronic and vehicle raising are blank when equipped with offroad.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by JAM
Here's the real deal... BTW, I have the off road package.

With ot without, both cars have the airmatic suspension.

Without the off road pkg, there is a Sport/Comfort switch, and the vehicle can be raised (on setting).

Off road pkg adds the ability to raise the car to three different levels. MAx level is limited to driving 20MPH. I believe it raises the car 6-7". Also adds the ability to lock the center and rear differentials. Center only, or center and rear. The controls for the offroad package replace the compartment below the climate control. The buttons for LR and DSR move to the offroad control panel. The Parktronic switch moves to a small switch next to the hazard switch, and the switch for parktronic and vehicle raising are blank when equipped with offroad.
So ADS-II is engaged with the sport setting on for models without the off-road package?
Old 12-10-2006, 10:01 AM
JAM

SL600
Well, ADS-II is what you get with the off-road package, but the sport, normal, and comfort modes are user selectable Airmatic ride control programs in GLs without the offroad package.

It seems that the off-road package gives you ADS. Without the off-road package you just get Airmatic.

This is from MB's website regarding GLs without the off-road pkg: "Selecting off-road driving program raises shift points automatically. Shift into Optimum Gear programming allows one-touch selection of the best gear for maximum acceleration or engine braking by holding a Touch Shift button in the downshift position for one second. Driver-selectable Comfort mode starts vehicle moving in 2nd gear, or 2nd Reverse gear, and upshifts at lower rpm to help improve control on slippery surfaces." "Off-road driving program One-button off-road program allows driver to simultaneously engage programming recalibrations of the traction system, antilock brakes, engine management and automatic transmission designed to enhance control in conditions typical of off-highway driving"

It appears that there is no-low-range mode without the OR pkg.

And, whereas in GLs with OR, the comfort mode actually varies the shock rates, with non-OR GLs, the comfort mode only changes shift points and starts in 2nd versus 1st gear.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:03 AM
JAM

SL600
More from MBs website regarding the Airmatic that you get without the OR pkg.

Air Suspension Four-wheel air suspension with spring-struts. Automatically compensates for changes in passenger and load weight. Vehicle level raised by up to 3.1" via a button on the dashboard.

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Almost a Member!

ML500
My salesman said that there is no sport/comfort setting switch without the off road package. Anyone out there with a GL without off road package that has this sport/comfort/automatic setting switch for the suspension?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:00 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
Originally Posted by kenfried
My salesman said that there is no sport/comfort setting switch without the off road package. Anyone out there with a GL without off road package that has this sport/comfort/automatic setting switch for the suspension?
Your salesman is correct.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:26 PM
JAM

SL600
Without off-road, there should be a switch for C/S, comfort/standard. Comfort changes the shift points and starts off in 2nd gear, but will not alter the suspension.

BTW, IMO, the OR pkg does provide a smoother ride, as a result of having ADS-II.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:23 PM
ON PROBATION

ADS II AND the Off-Road Pkg really is the way to go on a GL, IMO -- the question is, who can, and who can't, get it?

Is it only in the USA that we're without? And what are the chances that once the greedy little ba$tard$ have managed to sell a couple of thousand GL's here in the States that we will gain the option from MBUSA of being able to order the OR Pkg on a USA-bound GL?

Anyone?

I am going to try to order my US GL's WITH the OR Pkg - even if it costs me more in total than the option price to do so....
Old 12-10-2006, 10:44 PM

Order a GL450 with OR - no problem ...

... just don't try to order a GL320 with it. How stupid was that corporate decision?!
Old 12-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by ClayJ
ADS II AND the Off-Road Pkg really is the way to go on a GL, IMO -- the question is, who can, and who can't, get it?

Is it only in the USA that we're without? And what are the chances that once the greedy little ba$tard$ have managed to sell a couple of thousand GL's here in the States that we will gain the option from MBUSA of being able to order the OR Pkg on a USA-bound GL?

Anyone?

I am going to try to order my US GL's WITH the OR Pkg - even if it costs me more in total than the option price to do so....
What is ADS II? The MBUSA web site indicates the Off Road package is available and it includes ADS. It does not mention ADS II. Thanks. And, BTW, I might get a GL instead of an ML, so I am doing some indepth studying of the 2 vehicles.

Edit: the following is from MBUSA

2007 Packages
334 Off-Road Package
The GL-Class may be refined, but with an Adaptive Damping System (ADSII), two locking differentials, 2-speed transfer case, front/rear skid-plate protection and roof rail crossbars it proves it's not afraid to get dirty.

Maybe it is available.

Last edited by Can Drive 55; 12-10-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by can drive 55
What is ADS II? The MBUSA web site indicates the Off Road package is available and it includes ADS. It does not mention ADS II. Thanks. And, BTW, I might get a GL instead of an ML, so I am doing some indepth studying of the 2 vehicles.

Edit: the following is from MBUSA

2007 Packages
334 Off-Road Package
The GL-Class may be refined, but with an Adaptive Damping System (ADSII), two locking differentials, 2-speed transfer case, front/rear skid-plate protection and roof rail crossbars it proves it's not afraid to get dirty.

Maybe it is available.
It is definitely available on the GL450, but not on the diesel GL320CDI...apparently something to do with the additional torque of the diesel engine not playing nice with the locking diffs.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
Thanks. I think I would go with the 450 engine or maybe the 550 if it becomes available. So, that shortcoming won't be a concern to me.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:57 AM
ON PROBATION

Wow - what a relief!

I will cross that bridge when I come to it, so to speak - but I couldn't see ordering a GL, myself, without having the benefit of the Off-Road Pkg....

can drive - I do think that you are going to have to at least consider the question of the size/capacity/off-road ability of the GL vs. the same attributes plus the performance and handling of an ML63 into a purchase decision....

And then there's the G55....

Nice to have such nice choices, huh?
Old 12-11-2006, 11:32 AM
JAM

SL600
ADS-II = Adaptive Damping System (part of the GL's Off-Road pkg.). I had ADS (version I) in mny 97 SL600. The ride quality that it provides is amazing. Definately a difference with and without.

I wonder if they will ever offer ABC (Active Body Control) which is a fully active (versus partially with ADS) in the GL. ABC almost entirely eliminates body roll.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by ClayJ
can drive - I do think that you are going to have to at least consider the question of the size/capacity/off-road ability of the GL vs. the same attributes plus the performance and handling of an ML63 into a purchase decision.... Have thought about it and I can find a valid use for both sizes. I will have to do a cost benefit analysis when the time comes.

And then there's the G55.... A definite consideration, but lack of keyless go is a problem

Nice to have such nice choices, huh? Yeah, buddy!

And a premature congrats on the big 5K.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:41 PM
ON PROBATION

LOL - yep we're off-topic here for a sec, but yeah, 5K....

Old 12-11-2006, 01:42 PM
ON PROBATION

Oops - Now 5K.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Almost a Member!

R320, GL320, E320cdi's, 500SEL Pullman
GL320cdi's ONLY sold with Off Road Package on RHD Models???

Well thought I would comment on this one. I hear the bridies say down Unda in Australia that only GL's with the OR suspension will be sold, either the GL500 or the GL320cdi - which has been sold there for months...

Whatcha got down unda?

(My new GL 320cdi awaits on-top of a car carrier, somewhere in Texas, on it's way home right now.... Was "released to carrier" a few days ago...