GL 450 Minor Dislikes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 SL55
GL 450 Minor Dislikes

I like this car but.....

1. seat/wheel/mirror positions should be specific to each key.
2. analog clock is useless. A clock should display in the nav screen
3. outside mirrors could be a bit bigger
4. i wish i could search through the list of sat radio station names and THEN choose one, rather than have the station change as I am scrolling.
5. I'd like a lock/unlock button inside the rear gate
6. too much stuff is only accessible through the little display in the center of the dash. Why not use the NAV screen for an easier to read/select menu system
7. I like the hatch opening limiter idea... just wish the degree of opening were programmable
8. excellent power 3rd seats... why not make the 2nd row power also... at least the 3rd row access... that latch is too hard to move for kids.
9. a heads-up display should be offered.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL65
I agree with most of your suggestions. I have a lock button inside the rear hatch. I would like a permanantly visible odometer and temp gauge. My wife wanted dynamic seats. Also the side seat controls with the memory should be on the door.

Even with the gripes, we are still enjoying a very nice vehicle.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
In my E class I can scroll through the SAT radio channels by name by using the buttons on the display (Nav) screen. The left / right arrows scroll through the categories and the up / down arrows scroll through the channels in each category.

Maybe there is a key dependent option available in the settings menu, like there is in the E class. I can select it, then each key will automatically set the seat, etc when the car is unlocked. I do not use it, however, because I often take both keys (keyless go here and there might be a conflict) so I will have a back up copy if one fails.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by can drive 55
In my E class I can scroll through the SAT radio channels by name by using the buttons on the display (Nav) screen. The left / right arrows scroll through the categories and the up / down arrows scroll through the channels in each category.

Maybe there is a key dependent option available in the settings menu, like there is in the E class. I can select it, then each key will automatically set the seat, etc when the car is unlocked. I do not use it, however, because I often take both keys (keyless go here and there might be a conflict) so I will have a back up copy if one fails.
Re the key dependent seat positions, etc. I have this in my 05 E however it went away in 06. I love this feature and when selecting a replacement for my 06 E if they have not brought it back I will certainly consider other makes, not because I want to but because this feature is so nice when 2 people drive the same vehicle. My ML has the easy exit feature with both seat and wheel moving away but its not key dependent as so far as seating position, always returns to the position it left. Believe the 06 and up E did away with seat easy exit also and now just the wheel moves away.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:42 AM

2022 GLE 350; 2016 BMW 428i gran coupe; 2014 Audi Q5 tdi
Originally Posted by teeth
I like this car but.....

1. seat/wheel/mirror positions should be specific to each key.
2. analog clock is useless. A clock should display in the nav screen
3. outside mirrors could be a bit bigger
4. i wish i could search through the list of sat radio station names and THEN choose one, rather than have the station change as I am scrolling.
5. I'd like a lock/unlock button inside the rear gate
6. too much stuff is only accessible through the little display in the center of the dash. Why not use the NAV screen for an easier to read/select menu system
7. I like the hatch opening limiter idea... just wish the degree of opening were programmable
8. excellent power 3rd seats... why not make the 2nd row power also... at least the 3rd row access... that latch is too hard to move for kids.
9. a heads-up display should be offered.

Excellent list of suggested improvements. I agree with most of them.

One item I would add to the list is a better interface for the Nav system. I would use the system more if it was easier to enter the destination (either touch screen or voice command). For those who were smart enough to order the voice command module from the factory, does this improve the interface with the Nav system? If it does, I may consider adding voice command if MB USA comes up with a retrofit.

The GL is a great vehicle!
Old 12-15-2006, 12:37 PM

2007 GL450, 2006 Porsche 911, 2004 VROD
Excellent list. I agree with most of them.
One item I would add to the list is

- Moving Control for Second row Seats.
- Some angel of reclaining is required for second row seats.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:06 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by ksdprasad
- Moving Control for Second row Seats.
- Some angel of reclaining is required for second row seats.
The GL's I have tested all had various positions (reclining angles) for the second row seats.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by carpersn
The GL's I have tested all had various positions (reclining angles) for the second row seats.
Without that Default reclaining angel in the current 2nd row, it make u feel like sitting at a wall. personally, I dont think that reclining is not enough for longer drives..
Old 12-15-2006, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL65
I wish I had the same Nav in my E55(05). The GL nav seems to be much improved to me. Not as nice a screen as the one in my MDX but it still works quite well.

On my E55 I can't even punch in the State(US). It makes you punch in a city and then search through a list of cities to find the state. I tried to find Southhaven, MS on my E55 today and it wasn't even there. It was listed on the GL Nav and also had the address listed that I was looking for.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:59 PM
LDH

07 GL450,
sirius radio sucks compared to $40 standalone unit.
mirrors are way too small and pass. side is partially blocked by door. Gauge panel is seriously lacking in info, only shows 1 or two items at most. Center comand screen does'nt offer much either.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:03 AM

07 GL450
Originally Posted by waxking1
I wish I had the same Nav in my E55(05). The GL nav seems to be much improved to me. Not as nice a screen as the one in my MDX but it still works quite well.

On my E55 I can't even punch in the State(US). It makes you punch in a city and then search through a list of cities to find the state. I tried to find Southhaven, MS on my E55 today and it wasn't even there. It was listed on the GL Nav and also had the address listed that I was looking for.
Sounds like you need new Nav. DVD.

I have to agree with most of the complaints. Touch screen Nav. would have been great.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:30 AM

Question hate to admit it guys...

but all the gripes you just mentioned are in the new gmc acadia, which i just sat in at the dealership....now mind you, i'm not comparing mb luxury to the gmc. or the nameplate for that matter..looking beyond that...but those complaints are all rectified here...from large mirrors,touch screen, heads up display, dual sunroofs....easy slide 2nd row...and not to mention more room than the gl...total cubic feet is an amazing 117!..and epa is 18/26..17/24 for awd...using reg. fuel...not bad.

i'm really scratching my head whether i should consider the acadia?....

opinions?
Old 12-16-2006, 03:09 PM

You should also look at the Buick Enclave. Same basic crossover vehicle as the Acadia, but much more upscale, and IMHO a much better looking car. Again, I agree, not in the same league as the MB GL, but a nice car none the less.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by sosh
Re the key dependent seat positions, etc. I have this in my 05 E however it went away in 06. I love this feature and when selecting a replacement for my 06 E if they have not brought it back I will certainly consider other makes, not because I want to but because this feature is so nice when 2 people drive the same vehicle. My ML has the easy exit feature with both seat and wheel moving away but its not key dependent as so far as seating position, always returns to the position it left. Believe the 06 and up E did away with seat easy exit also and now just the wheel moves away.
Really? That's shocking. My wife and I have enjoyed that feature on every Audi, Volkswagen, and BMW we've had since we got married. I like to rotate through the cars. And sometimes I may drive to dinner and she may drive back, etc.

I hope my new S isn't missing this feature, too!
Old 12-16-2006, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by eddietr
Really? That's shocking. My wife and I have enjoyed that feature on every Audi, Volkswagen, and BMW we've had since we got married. I like to rotate through the cars. And sometimes I may drive to dinner and she may drive back, etc.

I hope my new S isn't missing this feature, too!
The S seats are key dependent and have the full easy exit feature. In fact you can adjust the passenger seat from the driver controls.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
The S seats are key dependent and have the full easy exit feature. In fact you can adjust the passenger seat from the driver controls.
Oh, good. I looked through the manual and I didn't see any reference to this. I see the entry/exit feature though. I'll ask about this in the W221 section if you don't mind...

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Almost a Member!

R320, GL320, E320cdi's, 500SEL Pullman
The 'analog' clock IS part of the Navigation. Wait until you live on a border state. Every time I go over the bridge into California, the clock goes back one hour, or forward one hour automatically. It is accurate to a couple feet past the 'Welcome to California/Arizona' sign.

The clock is so accurate that it sets itself faster than a Border Patrol SUV......
Old 12-17-2006, 09:54 AM

'08 SL55
Originally Posted by 07_R & G 320's
The 'analog' clock IS part of the Navigation. Wait until you live on a border state. Every time I go over the bridge into California, the clock goes back one hour, or forward one hour automatically. It is accurate to a couple feet past the 'Welcome to California/Arizona' sign.

The clock is so accurate that it sets itself faster than a Border Patrol SUV......
You heard me wrong. I don't need the clock connected to the NAV system, although that is cool. I just want a clock display on the NAV screen all the time, so passengers can see the time. For that matter, a lot more should be on the NAV screen instead of in the little tiny box in front of the driver, such as the vehicle setting, mileage, etc. That box in front of the driver should really be reserved for time, temp, odometer, CLOCK, radio station, and maybe NAV instructions. All the other stuff belongs on the larger screen.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:27 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Nice car but shadows seem perplexing! Looks like the sun was different on trees and on the car. But forget about the shadows, the car is indeed nice.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Paxfobiscum
Nice car but shadows seem perplexing! Looks like the sun was different on trees and on the car. But forget about the shadows, the car is indeed nice.
It's a Photoshop image and I am not that proficient yet to deal with sun angle..:-))) Thanks...it is indeed a nice car.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Almost a Member!

DVD Operation is a pain

DVD is like mission impossible to operate when driving or in front passenger seat. Why is the DVD underneath the backseat?
Old 12-29-2006, 01:02 PM

Sunglass Holder

let me add one more thing to the list
- Sunglasses holder.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Almost a Member!

- ipod control only from steering wheel and nothing displayed on main screen
- sat radio doesn't display info by default
- (as mentioned already) no easy entry/exist
Old 12-30-2006, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Taz0369
You should also look at the Buick Enclave. Same basic crossover vehicle as the Acadia, but much more upscale, and IMHO a much better looking car. Again, I agree, not in the same league as the MB GL, but a nice car none the less.
Enclave won't be available for a while. I wouldn't count on it being THAT much further upscale, but definitely a different look. Might be less roomy.

GL vs. Acadia, there's a large difference in the quality of the interior, as you'd expect given the price difference. The GMC actually handles better, while the MB is quicker and more rugged, and generally more of a conventional SUV.

I've reviewed the similar Saturn Outlook here:

Saturn Outlook review