GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Mercedes to sell chrysler?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Mercedes to sell chrysler?

I was watching the news and they said benz might be selling chrysler. Wonder what happens to all the american made benz.

GL R and ML?

I think is better to sell chrysler away it is ruining the name of benz anyways.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NY_SG
Wonder what happens to all the american made benz.
I don't think anything would happen. No different than BMW's made in Spartanburg.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Almost a Member!

'07 GL450
IMHO: If the divorce goes through, it will have no effect on MBenz's cars, quality, or support in the US...same as how the actual purchase of Chrysler had no effect on MBenz.
Daimler merged with Chrysler in hopes of achieving great economies of scale (by sharing parts, platforms, and procurement) and increaseing US market share. I don't buy the talk of lower quality after the merger, but yes Daimler did suffer after the aquisition from a corporate perspective.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:01 PM

I suspect buying and selling of companys is just another way to fool uncle sam on taxes, see how many times AT&T is buying and selling Cable and wireless partners :-). Only those finance guys knows all the secrets.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:25 PM

S550
True, just was kinda sudden they wanted to sell. I always thought they were doing alright.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:25 PM

True, just was kinda sudden they wanted to sell. I always thought they were doing alright.
Seems like I heard that the Chrysler division lost $1.2 billion last quarter. Not quite as bad as Ford's $12 billion last year, but Germans might not have the stomach for such a thing.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
I was watching the news and they said benz might be selling chrysler. Wonder what happens to all the american made benz.

GL R and ML?

I think is better to sell chrysler away it is ruining the name of benz anyways.
Nothing that happens with Chrysler will effect the factory in Alabama or the Mercedes line...it will just return to Daimler/XXXX. Also, there is no firm decision to sell Chrysler. Only making it known that as an option to get Chrylser turned around. If that option works, then they will sell it.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Nothing that happens with Chrysler will effect the factory in Alabama or the Mercedes line...it will just return to Daimler/XXXX. Also, there is no firm decision to sell Chrysler. Only making it known that as an option to get Chrylser turned around. If that option works, then they will sell it.
Their announcement of the layoff of ~13,000 workers was sited as a reason the stock market did so well yesterday (Wednesday.) Looks like someone has decided the division will either turn around or be sold.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by boxboss
Their announcement of the layoff of ~13,000 workers was sited as a reason the stock market did so well yesterday (Wednesday.) Looks like someone has decided the division will either turn around or be sold.
The "someone" is the German stockholders. They have been putting pressure on the DCX board for over a year to "get rid of Chrysler." See this paragraph from Detroit News story...

"Its (sic the DCX Board) unexpected decision to reiterate that Chrysler's future is uncertain follows a barrage of criticism of the U.S. operation's deteriorating performance from DaimlerChrysler's German shareholders."
Old 02-15-2007, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
The "someone" is the German stockholders. They have been putting pressure on the DCX board for over a year to "get rid of Chrysler." See this paragraph from Detroit News story...

"Its (sic the DCX Board) unexpected decision to reiterate that Chrysler's future is uncertain follows a barrage of criticism of the U.S. operation's deteriorating performance from DaimlerChrysler's German shareholders."
And there you have it.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:04 PM

More than rumors about the sale - seems to be true, with GM a likely buyer:

In CNN Money