GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Vance, we have another problem!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 07:49 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Nor can I speak for Jack, but I agree, Jack...make it right from the factory. Jack, any word on your wounded soldier?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E320 Sedan
Late tonight I received word that the new clamp and hose is not working either. The hose is coming off when pressure is forced through. Supposedly the tech is working with a MB design engineer who may come to look at it.

The dealership was not very optimistic during my conversation today. I may need to start looking at a backup plan. Wait many months for another CDI that is not going work, go for a 450 or look at a different vehicle. I have a very numbing feeling right. I can't believe I'm going through this. I really like this truck, alot!
Old 02-21-2007, 09:54 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
What I really can't understand is the fact that this engine has been around, its not that new. Why is this a few isolated cases?
Old 02-21-2007, 10:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jack, that sucks.

Who knows the reason - there are a lot of possibilities. Maybe the hose supplier used a new type of lubricant in their process and it's just too slick now. Maybe the hose mfg's polymer supplier mixed a bad batch.

On a different tact, what are the chances (have they checked this) that the hose is ok, but the pressure is way off the charts? Maybe due to a blockage/restriction on one end of excessive input pressure on the other?

Either way, it sucks. :thumbdown:
Old 02-21-2007, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
AS - that does suck major league. But I am sure things will work out. It is a good truck indeed but then again it's good as long as you get to drive it. All the best with this ordeal and hang in there.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by AutoSaurus
What I really can't understand is the fact that this engine has been around, its not that new. Why is this a few isolated cases?
Make some noise Jack. Get on the horn with MBUSA, call Vance, get the zone reps # and call him, send email follow-ups to MBUSA with copies to MBUSI, and find out Dr. Z's email and send him a missile. Be nice but be firm and state your case as a two car MB owner. Copy the dealer on your emails. Let them know who you are and that you are not pleased with this experience. Tell them you are not interested in lemon laws, lawyers or the like...tell them you want your $70K car to drive and perform like a Mercedes should and you want it fixed now! You don't want excuses, you want action to correct whatever is wrong so you can enjoy the diesel GL that Mercedes Benz expounds in it's commercials.

Go get em Jack...get your truck back!
Old 02-22-2007, 12:47 AM
EWT

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I can't speak for Jack but I don't think he really is interested in having his tech apply a non-MB clamp or "hairspray" to solve the problem. The car is two weeks old and MB should send a replacement clamp and hose that meets their specs or spec a new clamp and hose that will eliminate the hose coming loose from the intercooler. It is a design flaw and should be rectified by MB.
I agree, but it sounded like his tech was trying to find a (temporary?) fix locally.

I'm at a loss to understand how something like this could have made it into production.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Almost a Member!

04 F250 crew cab
I have a GL320 since november and have around 7000 km on it so far. It has been trouble free and the engine is starting to break-in now. I love this car and it still impresses me everytime I drive it (although I have to wrestle my wife to take it). I sincerly hope they figure your problem out because I know that in the long term you will be glad you went diesel.

Steve
Old 02-22-2007, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
All Alloy? Not!

Originally Posted by harkgar
MBSLK:

The V-6 is all alloy with the turbo located on top of the V.
Not according to MBUSA.
Engine 2,987-cc 3.0L DOHC 24-valve V-6. Cast-iron cylinder block. Aluminum crank case with cast-in grey iron liners. Aluminum-alloy heads.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:22 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
UPDATE:

Nothing new other than there is something wrong with a pressure building or leaking in the 'bypass' (I was on the cell phone and didn't get the entire story). I don't understand these turbos so I'm not very good describing the situation. Going to the dealership on Monday to find out.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Almost a Member!

GL450
Had same problem with a Ford Diesel. Dealer finally got it to hold. May want to call local Ford service and ask for tips. This was a widespread problem for '05 Ford diesels. Don't know what they done to fix. I will call dealer and ask if you want.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:08 PM

UPDATE:

Nothing new other than there is something wrong with a pressure building or leaking in the 'bypass' (I was on the cell phone and didn't get the entire story). I don't understand these turbos so I'm not very good describing the situation. Going to the dealership on Monday to find out.
In general, turbos utilize a "wastegate." If the exhaust gasses cause the turbo to spin too fast, the wastegate opens to allow some of the exhaust gas to escape and thereby slow down the turbo, reducing boost pressure. The wg can be operated by spring or solenoid or some other method - maybe a sensor that detects the amount of boost and varies the wg opening to vary the boost.

Perhaps you have a defect in the opening portion of the wg system OR you have high pressure on the off side of the wg that prevents it's opening correctly (such as an exhaust system restriction.) The end result in either case would be the turbo spinning too much, developing too much boost (psi), and then blowing your hose off. Actually, the hose blowing off is much better than not, as running too much boost can be disaster for your engine!

For more general info on turbos, check here*: How Turbos Work

*I'm not a mechanic or engineer, but have a little knowledge of them.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
iron head vs alloy head vs block head

Originally Posted by DUTCH
Not according to MBUSA.
MB had been touting the Bluetec V-6 as the first production diesel engine in the world with an all alloy construction. I think there is an iron lining in the cylinder head though.

There is nothing wrong with an alloy block as long as it can endure the high compression ratio.

As I stressed this is not a straight 6 versus V-6 competition and the Bluetec package is very nice too. I was pointing out why I purchased a 2006 CDi instead of a Bluetec. Money was one factor as I got a sweet deal.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by harkgar
MB had been touting the Bluetec V-6 as the first production diesel engine in the world with an all alloy construction. I think there is an iron lining in the cylinder head though.

There is nothing wrong with an alloy block as long as it can endure the high compression ratio.
All alloys are fine - less weight, high strength. They do need iron sleeves in the cylinders for wear reasons. Imagine those steel piston rings scraping against alloy cylinder walls...not a good mix.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:43 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
Update as I know it now:

Went by the dealership right after lunch wanting an update from all parties. I was told they were waiting on another hose to arrive and once it was installed it would be tested and I would be notified. This hose is also for the intercooler. While there I was informed that they had towed another GL320CDI to the dealership over the weekend with the same problem. I don't know the status of it other than that.

Moments ago, I was called and informed that the new has arrived, it was installed and appeared to be holding much better. This new hose appeared to be much longer and of different quality than the original. The new hose was sent directly from MB too. They test drove for nearly 20 miles without problems however, they want to drive it more and hope to have it back to me sometime tomorrow. Stay tuned.....
Old 02-26-2007, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update as I know it now:

Went by the dealership right after lunch wanting an update from all parties. I was told they were waiting on another hose to arrive and once it was installed it would be tested and I would be notified. This hose is also for the intercooler. While there I was informed that they had towed another GL320CDI to the dealership over the weekend with the same problem. I don't know the status of it other than that.

Moments ago, I was called and informed that the new has arrived, it was installed and appeared to be holding much better. This new hose appeared to be much longer and of different quality than the original. The new hose was sent directly from MB too. They test drove for nearly 20 miles without problems however, they want to drive it more and hope to have it back to me sometime tomorrow. Stay tuned.....
Making progress Jack...hope the longer hose does the job. The other GL at least indcates it is not a specific problem with your car...
Old 02-26-2007, 05:00 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
More news....the longer hose prevents the hose from binding and building up pressure. The feel very good about this fix.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

More news....the longer hose prevents the hose from binding and building up pressure. The feel very good about this fix.
Sounding better with each post Jack...you will be waiting at the door in the morning to get rid of that C and drive that diesel machine again...:-)

Wonder how many they have produced with this problem and if they are now installing the longer hose on the production line?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:15 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
Wonder how many they have produced with this problem and if they are now installing the longer hose on the production line?
I certainly hope so. I still don't get why this hasn't turned up in the EU version though.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:16 PM

3/30/07: B/B GL450 01 319 323 324 334 396 550
as the hose turns....

AS; Not owning a diesel, nor in possession of my GL yet, I've followed the trials and tribulations of the beleaguerd CDI owners. Sounds like your torment is coming to an end. Maybe MBUSA will send you a shirt or give you an extra special factory tour for your troubles.

Hoping not to read anything more other than positive results from you. :-)
Old 02-26-2007, 05:26 PM

Good news, AS. Here's hoping they can drive it all day today without a hitch - and you can do the same tomorrow!
Old 02-26-2007, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Abscam
AS; Not owning a diesel, nor in possession of my GL yet, I've followed the trials and tribulations of the beleaguerd CDI owners. Sounds like your torment is coming to an end. Maybe MBUSA will send you a shirt or give you an extra special factory tour for your troubles.

Hoping not to read anything more other than positive results from you. :-)
They were going to send him a shirt but ran out of his size...also, Blue is not available until June 2009...:-)
Old 02-26-2007, 06:55 PM

They were going to send him a shirt but ran out of his size...also, Blue is not available until June 2009...:-)
Well I do hope they do something other than a free car wash to compensate you for your trouble. This has been a serious inconvenience to you and your family. Perhaps, your next set of tires on the house?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Actually MB was nice enough to give him a free tire. It just happens to be the spare

Jesting aside, hang in there AS. Once you drive the GL those C class are no fun.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:00 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
UPDATE:

No go on the return of my GL. Apparently the hose they put on works but is not the final fix for the problem. MB engineering in CA is sending a new and maybe the first of the new final fix directly from Germany to the dealership. I will be lucky to get the truck back on Fri or Monday at this point. They would allow me to take it today but MB suggested that I didn't b/c it couldn't be guaranteed to hold so they are being cautious. I don't blame them as I don't won't to be stuck again. So the wait continues....

Also, I was informed that the Mobile, AL dealership also has a GL320CDI in for the same problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Vance, we have another problem!