GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Vance, we have another problem!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack,

I don't get this explanation from MB. I suspect there maybe other issues like a potential block in the induction system or other issues with the variable geometry turbo system. My understanding is that the variable geometry turbo system adjusts the pressure to engine speed. Is it possible that this unit is malfunctioning on your car?

If it was the hose, I can't imagine why no other car has the same problem, if it is a design flaw. These engines have been out for a while.

I just don't buy the hose explanation. I think it has to do with the variable geometry turbo appling more pressue than it should be for the engine speed.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by mercara
Jack,

I don't get this explanation from MB. I suspect there maybe other issues like a potential block in the induction system or other issues with the variable geometry turbo system. My understanding is that the variable geometry turbo system adjusts the pressure to engine speed. Is it possible that this unit is malfunctioning on your car?

If it was the hose, I can't imagine why no other car has the same problem, if it is a design flaw. These engines have been out for a while.

I just don't buy the hose explanation. I think it has to do with the variable geometry turbo appling more pressue than it should be for the engine speed.
Jack can give you first hand information, but his is not the only one having this problem. There is another poster who had an identical problem and Jack indicated earlier today that a GL320 in Mobile had the same problem.

I have no knowledge of the technical aspects of this engine but since there have been a host of engineers working on the problem it appears that the hose is the problem. I certainly hope so and that is is not something more sinister going on in the engine. The engine has been running too long to have a fatal flaw in my estimation.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:05 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
There are now 5 known vehicles with this condition. The problem is the hose is too short and therefore crimps when it is connected at the other end which causes a narrow passage.

I'll have photos of all three hoses soon. My dealer has been directed to notify me when the new one arrives so that I can take some photos of all. They are very accommodating.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:17 PM

I am not suggesting that there is a major flaw in the engine design. I was only wondering if there was an issue with the turbo in jack's car and the other cars. A flaw in hose should surface more often than just in a couple of cars.

Anyway as long as MB is taking care of it, guess it will be fine.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:19 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
I am not suggesting that there is a major flaw in the engine design. I was only wondering if there was an issue with the turbo in jack's car and the other cars. A flaw in hose should surface more often than just in a couple of cars.

Anyway as long as MB is taking care of it, guess it will be fine.
I agree. There could be more but we just don't know.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A flaw in hose should surface more often than just in a couple of cars.
It could be that the hose is fine if installed perfectly, but a little twist or turn during installation results in the crimp (e.g. Monday morning cars.) I've installed/repaired lots of different hoses and tubes in a lot of different things, and sometimes a little twist can result in a restriction or weak spot. I'm just thinking out loud here.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:07 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
Well she is back home now! I've attached a photo of the original hose (bottom) and the interim hose (top) that were used. The new and hopefully final hose is identical and not actually longer as previously reported. However, it is made of a slightly different material that is hard to detect with the naked eye or so I'm told.

So its like I've just taken delivery for the first time! Smooth roads ahead (I hope)!
Attached Thumbnails Vance, we have another problem!-hose.jpg  
Old 02-28-2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by AutoSaurus
Well she is back home now! I've attached a photo of the original hose (bottom) and the interim hose (top) that were used. The new and hopefully final hose is identical and not actually longer as previously reported. However, it is made of a slightly different material that is hard to detect with the naked eye or so I'm told.

So its like I've just taken delivery for the first time! Smooth roads ahead (I hope)!
So the hose that's on now would be the third hose, not picured? Here's hoping the 3rd time is the charm!
Old 02-28-2007, 09:09 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
Originally Posted by boxboss
So the hose that's on now would be the third hose, not picured? Here's hoping the 3rd time is the charm!
That would be correct.

When they called me this morning to say it had arrived I was unable to get there to take photos and inspect so I gave them the go ahead to install b/c they told me it looked nearly identical.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:35 PM

That would be correct.

When they called me this morning to say it had arrived I was unable to get there to take photos and inspect so I gave them the go ahead to install b/c they told me it looked nearly identical.
So AS, how do you feel about this? Confident, or are you concerned to try a run over to NO to check? I'd be skiddish, but hopeful.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:15 AM

3/30/07: B/B GL450 01 319 323 324 334 396 550
Looks like something off of Darth Vader...
Old 03-01-2007, 08:33 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Well, despite what i know was a crappy ordeal for you, Jack, especially on a new vehicle, I am REALLY impressed with MB's response time on this-to have a newly designed part in the field within +/- one week means that they are taking things seriously on this vehicle.

Good luck for totally trouble-free roads ahead.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:34 PM

2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
What's the latest, Jack? A good, troublefree day or two, I hope!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:41 PM

3/30/07: B/B GL450 01 319 323 324 334 396 550
Originally Posted by carpersn
Well, despite what i know was a crappy ordeal for you, Jack, especially on a new vehicle, I am REALLY impressed with MB's response time on this-to have a newly designed part in the field within +/- one week means that they are taking things seriously on this vehicle.

Good luck for totally trouble-free roads ahead.
Or working on it for a while....

Have a great trouble free weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 03-02-2007, 09:05 PM

I'm hoping he's having so much fun in the GL that he's not around to post.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:26 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
Wonderful so far. I've really put it through the paces the last day and half! Fingers are still crossed.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:29 PM

Wonderful so far. I've really put it through the paces the last day and half! Fingers are still crossed.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Because it's not a gimmick

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
If MB had put that straight 6 diesel in the E wagon I may well be driving one today...still cannot understand why the US does not get a diesel wagon. I would have chosen it over the GL320CDI.

You have a sweet car for sure...:-)
Because it doesn't say "Hybrid" on it, so nobody believes the US market (where hybrids are almost universally useless) will purchase it. I have visited friends in Europe and I cannot understand why we don't universally require modern common-rail diesels here. Now with the new US emissions junk, we're making it even harder! I've got a nieghbor with a Ford F350 that he wakes the nieghborhood up with every morning. It's like 5.3 on the Richter scale.

Now, if my GL320 has something more than a loose intercooler hose tomorrow, I'll let you guys know! Where do I find the production date on the car, on the door plate?
Old 05-14-2007, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sgresser

Because it doesn't say "Hybrid" on it, so nobody believes the US market (where hybrids are almost universally useless) will purchase it. I have visited friends in Europe and I cannot understand why we don't universally require modern common-rail diesels here. Now with the new US emissions junk, we're making it even harder! I've got a nieghbor with a Ford F350 that he wakes the nieghborhood up with every morning. It's like 5.3 on the Richter scale.

Now, if my GL320 has something more than a loose intercooler hose tomorrow, I'll let you guys know! Where do I find the production date on the car, on the door plate?
Sorry to hear you are involved with the "intercooler hose problem." The build date is on a plate on the drivers door and that would be informative.

Your dealership should be aware of this problem and should be able to fix it with the new hose and proper clamping. Let us know the outcome.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Sorry to hear you are involved with the "intercooler hose problem." The build date is on a plate on the drivers door and that would be informative.

Your dealership should be aware of this problem and should be able to fix it with the new hose and proper clamping. Let us know the outcome.
Verified via door plate, build date of 01/07, thanks for the info and WilCo on the outcome update.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Verified via door plate, build date of 01/07, thanks for the info and WilCo on the outcome update.
Yes that is an early build and would have the old hose. I think AutoSaurus build was 1/10 or so.

Too bad MB did not notify all dealers to perform the hose update to all in stock GL's prior to sale...
Old 05-15-2007, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

First hill climb a sad one ...

This is NOT how I wanted her first off-highway hill climb to look! This was yesterday, I'm still waiting to hear from my Service Advisor today.

s

PS That weird oil-looking stuff, my wife said someone was blowing out of the back of a pickup truck on I-40 and pulled in front of her. Hopefully they'll wash it off, or I'll have to. The loaner car, C230, was dirty outside and the windows hadn't been properly cleaned. No way to treat an MB!
Attached Thumbnails Vance, we have another problem!-p5140824.jpg   Vance, we have another problem!-p5140825.jpg   Vance, we have another problem!-p5140826.jpg   Vance, we have another problem!-p5140827.jpg  

Last edited by StevethePilot; 05-15-2007 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention
Old 05-15-2007, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The saga continues ...

For those who've not read carpersn's message on the CDI hose problem, after picking my GL at the dealership, stopping to get some Honey Bear's BBQ for lunch (http://www.honeybearsbbq.com/) and accelerating to get back on the highway, this time it was me driving when the hose came off and I both felt and heard it. All I can say is, thank goodness for the paddle shifters because the auto tranny was NOT getting the information it needed to shift properly. My experience with a manual turbo diesel in the UK told me when to shift, but without the turbo I had to avoid any inclines.

Five working days to get it from Deutchland, as there aren't any here. It had better work this time.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:42 PM

For those who've not read carpersn's message on the CDI hose problem, after picking my GL at the dealership, stopping to get some Honey Bear's BBQ for lunch (http://www.honeybearsbbq.com/) and accelerating to get back on the highway, this time it was me driving when the hose came off and I both felt and heard it. All I can say is, thank goodness for the paddle shifters because the auto tranny was NOT getting the information it needed to shift properly. My experience with a manual turbo diesel in the UK told me when to shift, but without the turbo I had to avoid any inclines.

Five working days to get it from Deutchland, as there aren't any here. It had better work this time.
DANG-I'd better have the new part as my GL was towed to the dealer 1 hour away, they fixed, and they re-delivered to me...if i was you i'd ask your dealer to get the part from another dealer as 5 days is UNACCEPTABLE.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

DANG-I'd better have the new part as my GL was towed to the dealer 1 hour away, they fixed, and they re-delivered to me...if i was you i'd ask your dealer to get the part from another dealer as 5 days is UNACCEPTABLE.
Not another dealer, another country! There are not any available in the US, according to my dealer, which may mean that as part of the "recall that isn't happening," they're sending something different. If I hear anything ... well, if I hear from them, I'll be surprised. I've heard a heck of a lot more from you guys than from them.

MBUSI should have someone reading these forums regularly!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Vance, we have another problem!