GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Gl550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 04:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
19 MB G63, '18 RR Dawn, '15 RR ATB LWB, '14/'08 MB GL550, '11 MB CL63 AMG, '11 X5 50i etc etc
Wink I'm In

After multiple visits to MB dealers and much internet reasearch I went ahead and ordered an Obsidian Black/Black Leather 08 GL550 through my local dealer.. Should be in by early Sept barring factory meltdown.. Very excited and now wishing away time until it gets to me.. Seems like real nice package. Bigger engine and very few options to chose from as it seems to be loaded... Had to order it without a price but really needed a new truck and it had to be this one for many reasons.. Dealer says it will sell at sticker and he anticipates that to be around 75K.. Seems almost like a bargain in comparison to range rover which can touch 100K and doesn't even have a third row.... Bought my last car this way as well, since timing had me as 1st buyer of newly released car.. I'm sure this car will turn many heads and more importantly put a nice grin on my face.. Will Sept come soon enough???
Old 07-06-2007, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
Originally Posted by Waiting-4-550
After multiple visits to MB dealers and much internet reasearch I went ahead and ordered an Obsidian Black/Black Leather 08 GL550 through my local dealer.. Should be in by early Sept barring factory meltdown.. Very excited and now wishing away time until it gets to me.. Seems like real nice package. Bigger engine and very few options to chose from as it seems to be loaded... Had to order it without a price but really needed a new truck and it had to be this one for many reasons.. Dealer says it will sell at sticker and he anticipates that to be around 75K.. Seems almost like a bargain in comparison to range rover which can touch 100K and doesn't even have a third row.... Bought my last car this way as well, since timing had me as 1st buyer of newly released car.. I'm sure this car will turn many heads and more importantly put a nice grin on my face.. Will Sept come soon enough???

Keep us posted on the progress of your order. I am very interesting in driving the 550 to see how it compares to the 450. I think your dealer is a bit light on his/her estimate of the sticker price........
Old 07-06-2007, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 A6 & '08 GL550
After multiple visits to MB dealers and much internet reasearch I went ahead and ordered an Obsidian Black/Black Leather 08 GL550
Way to go Waiting! Keep us abreast of your progress and if you hear of any additional options becoming available.

Can't wait to see the pics!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:22 PM

19 MB G63, '18 RR Dawn, '15 RR ATB LWB, '14/'08 MB GL550, '11 MB CL63 AMG, '11 X5 50i etc etc
Oh well

Maybe dealer was being gentle on pricing.. Either way I think I'm hooked
Old 07-06-2007, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Wink GL550 Order Finalized Today

I have never purchased a vehicle without knowing the price, but there seems to be a first for everything. After getting further information, I finalized my order for my '08 GL550 today. Now... don't throw-up when you find out what I got.

It's going to be Verde Brook on the exterior. Our dealer had a 450 with Verde Brook and Ash. After all the drab comments on the board, I was very leery of that exterior color. But, happily, I must say that the pictures don't do the exterior color justice. With the sun behind you, one can see the olive green color nicely. If the sun is in front of you, the color looks almost black. If the vehicle is in the shade, the color turns a very nice looking dark brown. Overall, the uniqueness of Verde Brook really took me by surprise, as I was leaning towards Pewter as the exterior color when we arrived on the lot.

The interior will be Macadamia Leather. I really liked the Ash on the dealer's 450, but my wife's A6 has the same leather, and I didn't want to have both our vehicles to be so similar inside.

The beast will be loaded to the gills. I don't know where GL Fahrer has been getting his information, but everything he has shared so far, seems to be accurate. No Off-Road package (major bummer), no distronic (major bummer for Oknish), but it does include the multi-contour seats. And, I can tell you, he has always had information before my dealer has known. I've confirmed it all.

GL Fahrer... I've doubted you from the beginning and I have neither enjoyed your writing style, nor appreciated you dodging all of the requests from multiple members for your source of info, but now, I must admit, you've earned my trust. Thanks for your info and I look forward to your future posts about the vehicle.

From what I understand, MB added another individual option to the system today that wasn't included in my earlier post. It's 053, Cargo Area Tray and Cargo Box.

Okay... here's how I tricked out the rest of the vehicle
$510 #550-Hitch
$2,670 #864-Rear Seat Entertainment-Dual Screen/Source
$1,110 #889-Keyless Go
$365 #057-iPod Kit
$??? #053-Cargo Area Tray & Cargo Box
I decided to forgo the heated steering wheel (GL Fahrer is right... it's a free swap out for the 550), and the illuminated door sills. The Chrome Grill Guard option (#064) that my dealer provided earlier in the week is no longer listed in NetStar. As much as I hate to say it, chalk another one up to GL Fahrer.

So there you have it. The dealer had absolutely no base pricing information, but he offered up his guestimate for our vehicle to come in right around $80K. We shall see??? If that's the case, then that'll make the base price right around $75K without any individual options. Our NetStar order configuration print out showed a price of $448,734. I told my 8-year old that we were selling the house and going to live in the truck along with our Bernese Mountain Dog. Her response? Cooooooool!

Last, but not least, our dealer has a total of 9 of the 550's on order. The first 3 were locked down in the system and no changes could be made to them. From what I could tell from looking at the NetStar screen very quickly, each one had the same options. 2 were going to be white and 1 black. Their build dates were 8/14, 8/15, and 8/17.

4 of the remaining 6 had customer names attached to them. Happily, mine has a build date of 9/4. If all goes according to plan, my rep thought it would arrive at the dealership 10/9. I'm curious, when would you all estimate it to hit our dealer here in Colorado?

The remaining 2 vehicles didn't have an exact day assigned, but showed a build date in the first 10 days of October.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try and answer them as best as I can. I'm going to be out-of-pocket for the next 3 days (camping in the back country with no internet access), so bear with me.

Last edited by Stumblefoot; 07-07-2007 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Very nice setup. Should be a beauty!

Based on my GL320 shipping schedule my rep told me that it is usually about 13-14 days after release of the vehicle to carrier from Vance to CO. They have a rapid delivery with a local hauler who delivers them almost the day they arrive.

I also agree with you on GL Fahrer's input...wish he would loosen up and join the crowd as more than just a concise source of information (which has been very accurate.)
Old 07-07-2007, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Thanks, Stumble, for the details. I can't believe that Distronic is not being offered on 550. Maybe next year but it sucks since I was ready to trade up.

Question on the Off Road package - so what is missing in 550? The entire package? Or are skid plates and Active Damping System II (ADS II) included and just locking differentials are not there?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by oknish
Question on the Off Road package - so what is missing in 550? The entire package? Or are skid plates and Active Damping System II (ADS II) included and just locking differentials are not there?
GL Fahrer... please confirm for Oknish, but from what I can tell it's missing the locking differentials and 2-speed transfer case. I'm pretty sure it includes the stainless steel skid plate, but don't know if it has the full underbody protection plates.

Enjoy those ribs!
Old 07-07-2007, 04:17 PM

1972 Chevy Vega 2300 - Panel Express
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
GL Fahrer... please confirm for Oknish, but from what I can tell it's missing the locking differentials and 2-speed transfer case. I'm pretty sure it includes the stainless steel skid plate, but don't know if it has the full underbody protection plates.

Enjoy those ribs!

The GL550 does not get the option to order the "Off-Road" package
ADSII and s/s skid plates are however, installed as standard.

The GL320 CDI also will not be able get the ORP. If you really want the skid plates and crossbars, just get the 19" wheel package.

Last edited by GL Fahrer; 07-07-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:54 PM

It's going to be Verde Brook on the exterior....

The interior will be Macadamia Leather. ...

Congratulations,
Your choice of Verde Brooke with Macadmia leather was the exact same vehicle M-B displayed at the N.Y. Auto show.
Very nice!
(Your interior however, will be trimmed with the much richer Burl Walnut wood)

Check out the photo gallery:

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshow...enz-gl550.html

Last edited by GL Fahrer; 07-07-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interior showing Mac and Burl

Here is a good shot of the interior showing the Burl Walnut and Macadamia along with the Wood Wheel.
Attached Thumbnails Gl550-mt-interior-mac.jpg  
Old 07-07-2007, 08:11 PM

It's going to be Verde Brook on the exterior. Our dealer had a 450 with Verde Brook and Ash. After all the drab comments on the board, I was very leery of that exterior color. But, happily, I must say that the pictures don't do the exterior color justice. With the sun behind you, one can see the olive green color nicely. If the sun is in front of you, the color looks almost black. If the vehicle is in the shade, the color turns a very nice looking dark brown. Overall, the uniqueness of Verde Brook really took me by surprise, as I was leaning towards Pewter as the exterior color when we arrived on the lot.
Beautiful color combo! I have seen several Verde Brook GL's and ML's in person, and I agree 100% with your assessment...the pictures just do not do the color justice. Every subtle change in lighting brings out a different hue to the color.

Originally Posted by GL Fahrer
Your choice of Verde Brooke with Macadmia leather was the exact same vehicle M-B displayed at the N.Y. Auto show.
Very nice!
What type of wood trim is shown in the GL550 photos on Car and Driver.com? It looks lighter than the standard Birds Eye Maple on the GL450 w/ MBTex. GL Fahrer, are you saying that the GL550 comes with the Burl Walnut found on the GL450 with leather and not the lighter wood shown in the photos?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:37 PM

The U.S. GL550 comes standard with Burl Walnut wood trim because the Leather package is standard.

The interior wood trim photos on the Car-n-Driver.com site show "Bright Birch" wood, which is not available on the U.S. GL-Class with MY'08.

Last edited by GL Fahrer; 07-07-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:58 PM

The U.S. GL550 comes standard with Burl Walnut wood trim because the Leather package is standard.

The interior wood trim photos on the Car-n-Driver.com site show "Bright Birch" wood, which is not available on the U.S. GL-Class with MY'08.
Darn it...I like the light "birch" wood!
Old 07-07-2007, 11:50 PM

2007 GL 450
I was at Limerock today for the ALMS race and saw a GL 550 and it had the light birch wood. The 550 looks amazing.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:38 AM

Good info

Good info here.. I hope you guys are right about mutilcontour seats being standard.. My production date is 8/21 so hopefully I will have the car by early sept before my other lease is due... Dealer says prices should be available in next few weeks...This truck is gonna be a nice one overall.. Hopefully MB quality is on the upturn.. Don't want to be spending my time in service instead of on the road... Think Tuscaloosa, Alabama is any better at making cars than Germany?? At these prices I sure hope so!
Old 07-08-2007, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good info here.. I hope you guys are right about mutilcontour seats being standard.. My production date is 8/21 so hopefully I will have the car by early sept before my other lease is due... Dealer says prices should be available in next few weeks...This truck is gonna be a nice one overall.. Hopefully MB quality is on the upturn.. Don't want to be spending my time in service instead of on the road... Think Tuscaloosa, Alabama is any better at making cars than Germany?? At these prices I sure hope so!
I think you can relax on the "quality" thing. My S has been superb and from all reports the GL buyers are well pleased with the fit and finish and performance. The GL320CDI hose episodes were not Bama related but were poor engineering from Germany.

This is going to be one great SUV and the leader in it's class.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:29 AM

Quality

I hope your right.. Maybe US products might be better than Germans.. Can 't help but be dubious.. My new 7 series has the worst radio reception I have ever experienced at 80K +.. Price has not proven to equal quality for me... And I 've heard MB to be worse than Bimmers
Old 07-08-2007, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hope your right.. Maybe US products might be better than Germans.. Can 't help but be dubious.. My new 7 series has the worst radio reception I have ever experienced at 80K +.. Price has not proven to equal quality for me... And I 've heard MB to be worse than Bimmers
The MB rep took a hit in the late '90's and early 2000's...but with the new S a year ago or more and other models they are back to being a true MB. I am not a fan of JD Powers but they did place 3 MB models in the top range in one of their recent reports.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:29 AM

mb rep

Like to hear encouraging info on MB brand as I am joing to club... Will look into JD and other ratings, since I love this car research stuff....
Old 07-09-2007, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by newtoMBGL
I was at Limerock today for the ALMS race and saw a GL 550 and it had the light birch wood. The 550 looks amazing.
Could you tell much difference in the nose badge vs. the 450? That's my only concern right now... the looks of that huge, honking logo.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Congratulations,
Very nice!

Check out the photo gallery:

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshow...enz-gl550.html
I bet I've looked at those pics a half dozen times or so and never noticed the wood being lighter. Thanks for pointing that out and to NJ for posting his interior shot. I really like that Burl Walnut with the Macadamia.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
I hope you guys are right about mutilcontour seats being standard
Should be as they are listed directly on my order.
Code #404 - Driver Multicontour Seat
Code #405 - Passenger Multicontour Seat

My production date is 8/21, so hopefully I will have the car by early sept before my other lease is due.
That's cool. You're a full 2-weeks earlier than mine. Where abouts are you located? You know we'll all be waiting for pics once you get it!

Dealer says prices should be available in next few weeks
Let us know when you hear and I'll do the same. There's a lot riding on this figure here on the forum as you know... a non-paid trip to Vegas provided by NJ.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:10 PM

-Multicontour seats should be nice...

-I'm in NY

-I'm betting 75,409 on price without options.... Vegas or bust
Old 07-09-2007, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
-I'm betting 75,409 on price without options.... Vegas or bust[/QUOTE]

I wish you were right but I just can't see the price being that low. A fully loaded GL450 is around that price. Add in the bigger engines, wheels, etc. and I really don't see how this thing is under $80,000. If you are right I might head to the dealership for a test drive.......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gl550