The engine dilemma

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 11:46 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2011 GL350
The engine dilemma

Well guys

I been on the fence on what new vehicle to get.

My current situation is 2 kids (one is 2 years 9months, the other 8months old) and the wife. Here is things I kind of like to have

1) bucket seats are nice simple because my wife is able to climb in the back and deal with the kids as needed.

2) Space behind third row enuff for a stroller

3) Decent power and handling (I currently have an Fx35)

4) decent fuel consumption

5) the abiltity to take a couple more people with me like maybe the kids grandma and aunt.

I had started by looking at the 450 then I kind of got stuck on the 320CDI but availablility and every dealer wanting sticker kind of threw that out for a while (I started looking 6months ago).

There is still a part of me that saids the cdi is the smart choice all that torque and better fuel econemy.

Have any here regretted there cdi purchase on there GL? Has anyone thought of maybe the R-Class as well? Or something else like the Audi Q7 or even one of those cousin cars like the Buick Enclave, Saturn outlook and etc?

Sorry but I am undecided and can use some feedback.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carlosrg
Well guys

My current situation is 2 kids (one is 2 years 9months, the other 8months old) and the wife. Here is things I kind of like to have

1) bucket seats are nice simple because my wife is able to climb in the back and deal with the kids as needed.

5) the abiltity to take a couple more people with me like maybe the kids grandma and aunt.

I had started by looking at the 450 then I kind of got stuck on the 320CDI but availablility and every dealer wanting sticker kind of threw that out for a while (I started looking 6months ago).

There is still a part of me that saids the cdi is the smart choice all that torque and better fuel econemy.

Have any here regretted there cdi purchase on there GL? Has anyone thought of maybe the R-Class as well? Or something else like the Audi Q7 or even one of those cousin cars like the Buick Enclave, Saturn outlook and etc?

Review some of the threads that relate to the intercooler hose problem on the 320cdi. A couple of members probably don't regret the purchase of the GL, but do regret MB's lack of response/success in dealing with a problem on the 320.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by carlosrg
Well guys

I must say that if my kids were young again, I might - MIGHT - consider the R-type. But as I've stated elsewhere, its styling cues and light handling didn't inspire in me the confidence the GL has.

I've had two hose pops on the 320, but I don't regret getting it - I do regret not having the information beforehand (IOW not checking here first, before buying) and the GL's been on two major highway trips without a problem (on a Q2 hose which, if it ain't broke, I ain't fixing). Now as I stated earlier, the 320CDI has been selling in Europe for a couple of years, but a tech at my dealer told me the engine is in fact a newer one, first year production, and that would've taken me back.

If you can get a CDI without BlueTech you'll reduce the complexity of the vehicle you'll get and won't have to worry about pee in the vehicle. I don't think the R-type is selling well, so you might be able to swing some weight around on that one (I don't know if a company versus independant dealership will make a difference or not). What I would not do is go for the Touareg diesel as unless they've made big improvements it's US version has been plagued with all kinds of minor little problems.

There is the 450, and there's supposed to be a 420 BlueTech in the works but I don't know how soon that is or how soon you need to move on vehicles. The only other brands I've had a lot of experience with are Ford (trucks) (don't bother) and Lexus (excellent fit-n-finish, overall very reliable, not to terribly exciting, lower price point).

There's always the Sprinter ... isn't that the V-type in Yerrup?
Old 06-02-2007, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
We had a situation similar to yours, carlosrg, with young kids and family to drive around. Ended up with a 450 based on space with 3rd row up, extremely comfortable 3rd row, and, handling/power/styling/etc.

320 wasn't an option for us since it was not available in CA but from what I have read besides the hose issue most have been satisfied. I know I am very happy with 450. Hope that helps.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00 BMW 528it, 03 Duramax, 07 GL320
I have two young children also(2 and 4) and went through the same dilemna as you.

We actually ordered a Saturn Outlook but my wife nixed it because she wanted something more luxurious. The Saturn was $45,000 fully loaded and our 320CDI ended up being $68,000 without a few options(entertainment system). Big price difference, but the Mercedes makes the very nice Saturn seem pedestrian in comparison. It is just a gorgeous vehicle inside and out.

Are we happy we switched? Yes. I shopped and drove literally every competitor with a third row seat and can unequivically say that the GL has the best user friendliness/utility of any SUV out there as long as you don't need a monster like a Suburban or need to tow a heavy boat or trailer.

As for the engine choices we went with the diesel and are very happy. It has plenty of power(not as smooth or powerful as the 450 though), and the fact that it gets MUCH better mileage AND diesel is currently cheaper than gas makes us sure that we made the right choice. Imagine if gas goes to $5/gallon how much you'll save. I bet the resale will be better with the diesel too.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:24 PM

I am waiting for my GL CDI to be ready for pick up. I had looked at the Tourege and the rear seat is a joke; no room whatsoever.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by StevethePilot

There's always the Sprinter ... isn't that the V-type in Yerrup?
The Sprinter and V-class are two different cars. The V-class is called Viano as far as I can remember. The Sprinter being larger and more suited for moving companies or tour-operators while the Viano is smaller and more for large families or carpenters etc.

Trending Topics

Old 06-05-2007, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mushroom
The Sprinter and V-class are two different cars. The V-class is called Viano as far as I can remember. The Sprinter being larger and more suited for moving companies or tour-operators while the Viano is smaller and more for large families or carpenters etc.
Thank you for the clarification! I do wonder whether Dodge will continue to sell the Sprinter (which, by the way, they've done some amazing passenger-type things with here - see http://www.midwestautomotivedesigns.com/ among others) now that Mercedes has wisely sold Chrysler?

Oh, and ... why carpenters?

Steve
Old 06-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Almost a Member!

I've just noticed that the Vitos/vianos are quite popular among carpenters, electricians etc. They usually buy the version without any windows or interior in the back, and instead covers it with wood plates.

Forgive my poor spelling :>
Old 06-06-2007, 02:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'07 Carrera S, '31 A 5W hot rod, 4Runner. Sold CLK55
I'm in the same boat as you, now have 2nd child, looking to move up from a 4Runner. I'm waiting for the introduction of the GL420 and the new Lexus/Land Cruiser to cross shop. I've looked at everything else and think it will come down to these 2 trucks.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mushroom
Forgive my poor spelling :>
I see nothing spelled incorrectly?

I only asked about carpenters because it seemed like such a random profession to pick!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by H-MAN
I'm in the same boat as you, now have 2nd child, looking to move up from a 4Runner. I'm waiting for the introduction of the GL420 and the new Lexus/Land Cruiser to cross shop. I've looked at everything else and think it will come down to these 2 trucks.
Coming from a very long affiliation with Toyota products, I've got to say I am in no way unhappy with them. They will definately go the distance, they're damned reliable, they usually have excellent fit-n-finish, and they're well supported both by the manufacturer and the aftermarket. Particularly with the Lexus line, I've found service - even routine service - to be done with a great deal of professionalism and personal attention. It's what you expect when you pay this much for a vehicle, of course!

Moving away from the LX470, I've found that (short the hose problem) the Mercedes has generally the same fit-n-finish (this coming from a vehicle assembled in the US!), the ride is a heck of a lot more stable, and the mileage cannot be beat. Other than the fact it was 8 years old and had gone to the moon and back, the biggest problem I had with the Lexus was high speed maneuverability and disgusting mileage. Cut to Mercedes; sorted.

My wife right now has an RX330 she's leasing and has discussed buying it off in November when the lease is up. I think I might prefer going either to the RX350 - a really great car - or the hybrid RX, as she's generally driving it only in the city where a hybrid will shine. The other option is the ML320, or (God willing!) the ML420 Bluetec, and become an all-diesel, all-Mercedes family, but my wife oddly likes the RX and not the ML. I can't see so much physical difference, myself, on the outside.

Best of luck with your decision! You're kind of choosing between the top contenders, so you'll do well either way.