Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Sure--Mercedes.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500, GL550, Escalade, 66 Corvette
Originally Posted by lkchris
Sure--Mercedes.
Do you have a part number? My dealer doesn't know of any.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Comes with the car when new, yours too.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C'mon someone must be making something....This 5.5L engine has a lot more power hidden that needs to be unleashed with simple mods like cold air intake system...
Old 09-20-2007, 10:50 AM

GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
I have not seen anything specific, but I'm sure K&N would have there generic kits that could be installed. I would think that those would not be that much better than the standard system that comes with the car which looks to be a pretty good setup in my opinion. I know the GM trucks run tubes down to the lower portion of the grill which funnel the air right into the air filter box. I am sure something like that could be rigged.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
C'mon someone must be making something
The advertising hype that convinces some folks they need this sort of thing is aimed at the lowest common denominator agricultural iron technology of the 1950s.

Real automotive engineers have done better than this for decades, but the hotrodding hype--NEVER backed up by data--persists.

I haven't seen a Mercedes since the 1970s that didn't come from the factory with a cold air intake capability.

But, if you do install a K&N be sure to advise everyone here of your VIN ... so we can adjust your resale value to zero.

Last edited by lkchris; 09-20-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:27 PM

SL500, GL550, Escalade, 66 Corvette
The advertising hype that convinces some folks they need this sort of thing is aimed at the lowest common denominator agricultural iron technology of the 1950s.

Real automotive engineers have done better than this for decades, but the hotrodding hype--NEVER backed up by data--persists.

I haven't seen a Mercedes since the 1970s that didn't come from the factory with a cold air intake capability.

But, if you do install a K&N be sure to advise everyone here of your VIN ... so we can adjust your resale value to zero.
I'm not sure: Do I take it that you don't think cold air intake helps?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by WordSmith
I'm not sure: Do I take it that you don't think cold air intake helps?
You can read better than that!

Mercedes installs cold air intakes on ALL its cars.

Of course they help.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:46 AM

You can read better than that!

Mercedes installs cold air intakes on ALL its cars.

Of course they help.
So what do other manufacturers sell their vehicles with that makes cold air intake an upgrade for their vehicles?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just a genuine inquiry to understand better...May be we need a crash course on intakes. I would humbly be willing to learn...

I was never into modding....a friend convinced me to install CAI in my SUV (not Mercedes) and I can tell the power delivery being smoother & power increase as well. May be its all subjective, but it was worth it.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by 03LX470
So what do other manufacturers sell their vehicles with that makes cold air intake an upgrade for their vehicles?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just a genuine inquiry to understand better...May be we need a crash course on intakes. I would humbly be willing to learn...

I was never into modding....a friend convinced me to install CAI in my SUV (not Mercedes) and I can tell the power delivery being smoother & power increase as well. May be its all subjective, but it was worth it.
I know nothing (completely nothing) about engine mods or "cold air intakes" but I do know about the 5.5 V8, 382 HP in the GL550, and the S5500. 5.4 seconds in the S and 6.2 seconds in the GL to 60mph is certainly all one needs to feel "powerful" behind the wheel. This engine coupled with the 7 speed transmission is smooth and you can feel the power shortly off the line or anytime at cruise should it be needed.

In my trip from Denver to home there were occasions when I was cruising at 70-75 and some left lane drivers refused to move right. A little pressure on the gas pedal and the GL "leaped" ahead with power and the transmission responded and they would be in my rear view mirror.

As you say, it is all subjective and depends on the driver. But the GL550 in my mind provides a great deal of power and adding some engine mod for more would be a waste of money. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 09-21-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 SL550, 14 E63 Wagon, 15 S550, 11 M3, 08 F430 Spider, 12 ML350
CAI, cold air induction systems simply deliver cooler air (as compared to engine compartment air) to the intake therefore bringing with it more oxygen to be available for more fuel to combust making more power. A true cai routes air from in front of the radiator where it is more or less ambient temperature. It would seem that all vehicles would benefit from this but that's not true as mileage and emissions can be adversely affected for a given design. Corvette for instance actually does not use cai in order to meet their emissions goals. It is also an additional expense to the manufacturers as there is more ductwork and design to make sure no water can ever enter the system. In the case of the Corvette a good aftermarket system may add 8 or so hp but it's already making 400+ so not a big deal for most drivers. For the Mercedes, it is already in place and I would not suggest altering their system in any way. As a note, it used to be desireable "in the day" to heat incoming air as the warmer fuel wouldn't fall out of suspension in the intake after mixing in the carburetor, remember all the metal ductwork bringing hot air up from around the exhaust manifolds. Now with direct injection that's not necessary. For me as far as cai goes, why bother changing anything from factory set up unless you're into modding or some kind of racing, just my opinion however.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban

OEM air intake systems are a compromise. Engineers look for the most efficient intake setup that produces the least amount of noise, especially on a luxury vehicle. Aftermarket systems usually trade noise for more power or a less favorable/more vulnerable filter placement.

There have been many vehicles where an intake tubing/aftermarket airfilter showed dyno and track improvements. Some systems are useless, but there are numerous cars out there that benefit from improved breathing before the TB.