GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
congratulations! the wheels alone made me stop to crunch the numbers for the gl550 but i remembered the kids still need to eat.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Nevada Jack and Stumblefoot's Big Day

Hi Folks! What an exciting day to say the least.

Jack and I were both at the dealership shortly after opening this morning and were heading out on the open road by 1:15p. We had a great time and both purchases went smoothly. I've posted some pics of the big day below.

Pic #1 is Greg Weiler and Jack getting ready to take several shots.
Pic #2 is Nevada Jack and Stumblefoot trying to contain their excitement.
Pic #3 is NJ's OB on Black on the left with Stumblefoot's VB on Mac on right.
Pic #4 is NJ's 550
Pic #5 is Stumblefoot's 550

My first impressions of the GL are nothing short of amazing. Either the Colorado Dept. of Transporation fixed every road on my return path home, or the GL has an incredible suspension. I couldn't believe how smoothly it hid every bump along the road. I was also amazed by how quiet the interior cabin is. I don't know how I'm going to know how fast I'm going without looking at the speedometer. I kept catching myself going over 80mph and it felt like I was crawling along at 55mph. INCREDIBLE!!! It didn't even break a sweat climing up to 7,500 feet above sea level.

One of the things I think is cool is the touch control on the turn signal. Press down, let up and it flashes the left turn signal 3 blinks to merge or pass. Very cool! I also really like the chrome cross bars (didn't notice any wind noise at all), as well as the bicycle hitch carrier. Oh yeah... those tires are unbelievable! The footprint is the widest I've ever seen.

I struggled with a couple of things on the way home. The first was the small side mirrors. It's going to be interesting when we pull our camper how well they will work. The second thing is that I couldn't see the right front of the GL due to agressive stamping on the hood. It's going to take a little getting used to before I feel comfortable getting the right side close to curbs, garage doors, etc. Obviously, both of these items are very neglible in my overall initial assessment.

Jack is heading back to Vegas right now and plans to stop somewhere along the route tonight. So, depending on the hotel he stays in, you may get to some much better pictures.

In closing, thank you to everyone on the forum for the excellent advice and insights throughout the entire buying process of my first Mercedes-Benz.
Attached Thumbnails Delivery-greg-weiler-nevada-jack.jpg   Delivery-nevada-jack-stumblefoot.jpg   Delivery-nj-stumbefoot-s-550-s.jpg   Delivery-nj-s-ob-black.jpg   Delivery-stumblefoot-s-verde-brook-macadamia.jpg  

Old 09-14-2007, 05:59 PM

2014 GL 450
Thanks, Brian, for letting us share in your & Jack's excitement!

I, too, love the turn signal thing. Parktronic will help with judging where the front of the vehicle is. I'll admit I've become very dependent upon Parktronic.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:02 PM

'13 Q7, '13 A6
Twins! Congrats gentlemen!
Old 09-14-2007, 06:17 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
Just spoke to NJ an hour ago as he was approaching Grand Junction. He says the 550 is a great ride and is enjoying so far.

He'll be home mid-morning on Saturday.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500, GL550, Escalade, 66 Corvette
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot

Hi Folks! What an exciting day to say the least.

Jack and I were both at the dealership shortly after opening this morning and were heading out on the open road by 1:15p. We had a great time and both purchases went smoothly. I've posted some pics of the big day below.

Pic #1 is Greg Weiler and Jack getting ready to take several shots.
Pic #2 is Nevada Jack and Stumblefoot trying to contain their excitement.
Pic #3 is NJ's OB on Black on the left with Stumblefoot's VB on Mac on right.
Pic #4 is NJ's 550
Pic #5 is Stumblefoot's 550

My first impressions of the GL are nothing short of amazing. Either the Colorado Dept. of Transporation fixed every road on my return path home, or the GL has an incredible suspension. I couldn't believe how smoothly it hid every bump along the road. I was also amazed by how quiet the interior cabin is. I don't know how I'm going to know how fast I'm going without looking at the speedometer. I kept catching myself going over 80mph and it felt like I was crawling along at 55mph. INCREDIBLE!!! It didn't even break a sweat climing up to 7,500 feet above sea level.

One of the things I think is cool is the touch control on the turn signal. Press down, let up and it flashes the left turn signal 3 blinks to merge or pass. Very cool! I also really like the chrome cross bars (didn't notice any wind noise at all), as well as the bicycle hitch carrier. Oh yeah... those tires are unbelievable! The footprint is the widest I've ever seen.

I struggled with a couple of things on the way home. The first was the small side mirrors. It's going to be interesting when we pull our camper how well they will work. The second thing is that I couldn't see the right front of the GL due to agressive stamping on the hood. It's going to take a little getting used to before I feel comfortable getting the right side close to curbs, garage doors, etc. Obviously, both of these items are very neglible in my overall initial assessment.

Jack is heading back to Vegas right now and plans to stop somewhere along the route tonight. So, depending on the hotel he stays in, you may get to some much better pictures.

In closing, thank you to everyone on the forum for the excellent advice and insights throughout the entire buying process of my first Mercedes-Benz.
Fantastic shots! You can see the slight difference in the two black colors. Can't wait to see them in person.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:46 PM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by AutoSaurus
Just spoke to NJ an hour ago as he was approaching Grand Junction. He says the 550 is a great ride and is enjoying so far.

He'll be home mid-morning on Saturday.
Thanks for the update, AS. I'm leaving Sunday for a week long trip without my laptop so I sure hope he posts more pics & his impressions before then!
Old 09-14-2007, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
AWESOME.......................and happy for you both, Jack and Brian. Glad that everything went smooth and ride home was even smoother.

Thanks for the great pics, Brian. Looks like it was jeans/brown suede shoes day at Wesminster MB

And, Jen, is absolutely right. Parktronic and B/U camera will spoil you in no time.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Hi

Great pictures Brian! I stopped just west of Grand Junction. I have not loaded any images yet but will after I find something to ear...I cannot survive on cheese crackers and bottled water.

The GL is a super truck! I am impressed with the quality and the ride is fantastic. Kept it in Auto and I would say the ride on the highway is as good as the S with ABC. It tracks like it was on rails.

I was cruising at about 65-70 and a BMW M5 and a Porsche Carrera passed me rather fast. I put the pedal to the medal and was about 500 feet behind then. Speeds were from 75-90 through curves and up and down grades. Stayed with them in tandem...when one of them turned off he gave me a thumbs up. This car is a true Beast!

Picture at 11:00...
Old 09-14-2007, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I was cruising at about 65-70 and a BMW M5 and a Porsche Carrera passed me rather fast. I put the pedal to the medal and was about 500 feet behind then. Speeds were from 75-90 through curves and up and down grades. Stayed with them in tandem...when one of them turned off he gave me a thumbs up. This car is a true Beast!

Drive safe, Jack.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500, GL550, Escalade, 66 Corvette
Great pictures Brian! I stopped just west of Grand Junction. I have not loaded any images yet but will after I find something to ear...I cannot survive on cheese crackers and bottled water.

The GL is a super truck! I am impressed with the quality and the ride is fantastic. Kept it in Auto and I would say the ride on the highway is as good as the S with ABC. It tracks like it was on rails.

What a thrill! Can't wait for the pix!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by oknish
Thanks for the great pics, Brian. Looks like it was jeans/brown suede shoes day at Wesminster MB
Nish, you've got one heck of an eye... jeans and brown suede shoes it was.

Looking forward to learning all about parktronic and b/u camera. They look to be unbelievably helpful.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:29 PM

2001 BMW 540i/6-speed, 2008 GL550
Great observations from Jack and Brian. Congrats to you both. I am a little concerned about the mirrors, but hoping that proper positioning and an adjustment period will take care of that. I'm also still a little worried about winter performance, and I'm already scoping out impact wrenches (battery powered for when the ice-covered trees bring down power lines) and winter tires. Sounds like the overall goodness of the truck will make up for these concerns. I look forward to posting my impressions on Monday night.

Jack, I would be interested to know more how you think the GL stacks up to the S.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by cc5731478
Twins! Congrats gentlemen!
That's great cc... cigars for everyone.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by sraj
I'm also still a little worried about winter performance,
Wait until you see your tires up close and personal. They are unbelievable! And, I can only imagine how they are going to perform in snow. I'll most likely be the first on the forum to experience a snow storm this fall, so I'll keep everyone abreast on how the tires perform.

Personally, I think they'll be fine in snow and slush. But, if it turns to packed snow, or ice, then look out. This GL is gonna skate like Dorothy Hamill.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:10 AM
MJH

2007 CL550 Black/Savanna Cashmere, fully loaded; 2006 Navigator; 2005 Corvette (Sold)

Sounds terrific Jack. Great Fun for you I know. See you and the beasty in Vegas!!!
Old 09-15-2007, 12:21 AM
MJH

2007 CL550 Black/Savanna Cashmere, fully loaded; 2006 Navigator; 2005 Corvette (Sold)
Thank you for all the pics Brian. I look forward to seeing your Verde GL in Vegas. I can understand your excitement about your first MBZ. The CL we got a few months ago was my first Mercedes too. I am still thrilled every time I drive it. Congratulations and enjoy!
Bill and Mary