GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

1st Snag - IPOD Adapter Missing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL 450
1st Snag - IPOD Adapter Missing

OK, had the 550 2 weeks now. LOVIN' it. Can't say enough good things about it. I know, still no pics, but the weather has been terrible here in NJ and now I have to clean it up.

Here's my snag. I ordered the vehicle with the IPOD Adapter and the salesperson neglected to place the order (although he DID charge me for it!). So he's making good on it by installing it after the fact (his cost) but now I have to have some electronics boutique hacking up my new car. They use a local shop to do their electronics installs and this place does have a good rep, but that still doesn't comfort me all that much. I would have preferred that this was done right in the first place.

I know some people have had complaints about their factory IPOD adapters with sound level, etc. Does anyone have advice on an aftermarket install? Maybe I can make the best of this by asking for a different type of adapter or having them install an extra piece or something to make this better than the factory one. Any thoughts?

Oh yeah, as a bonus they forgot to give me my headphones and remote control for the RSE. So when I went to play a movie for the kiddies over the weekend, I went from Champ to Chump. They better have that waiting for me tomorrow as well.

I guess if those are the only problems I ever have I will choke it up as a big win.

I will also install the tail light/head light chrome this week. Today I received and installed the Chrome MB Star Trailer Hitch cover. At first I thought it was waaay to blingy but I think it's growing on me. You guys can vote when I finally get some pics posted. Hopefully this weekend.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by patsy1099
OK, had the 550 2 weeks now. LOVIN' it. Can't say enough good things about it. I know, still no pics, but the weather has been terrible here in NJ and now I have to clean it up.

Here's my snag. I ordered the vehicle with the IPOD Adapter and the salesperson neglected to place the order (although he DID charge me for it!). So he's making good on it by installing it after the fact (his cost) but now I have to have some electronics boutique hacking up my new car. They use a local shop to do their electronics installs and this place does have a good rep, but that still doesn't comfort me all that much. I would have preferred that this was done right in the first place.

I know some people have had complaints about their factory IPOD adapters with sound level, etc. Does anyone have advice on an aftermarket install? Maybe I can make the best of this by asking for a different type of adapter or having them install an extra piece or something to make this better than the factory one. Any thoughts?

Oh yeah, as a bonus they forgot to give me my headphones and remote control for the RSE. So when I went to play a movie for the kiddies over the weekend, I went from Champ to Chump. They better have that waiting for me tomorrow as well.

I guess if those are the only problems I ever have I will choke it up as a big win.

I will also install the tail light/head light chrome this week. Today I received and installed the Chrome MB Star Trailer Hitch cover. At first I thought it was waaay to blingy but I think it's growing on me. You guys can vote when I finally get some pics posted. Hopefully this weekend.
I can't imagine a dealership in NJ sending your NEW MB to a "local shop" to do a dealer-installed accessory...i would bet money that they are saving money (as it is their mistake and the new car department is obligated to pay service department a certain rate), as i can't imagine they can't handle that...I would raise you know what as my own dealership installed mine after it came without what was ordered...took them an hour and a half, but it works just fine
Old 12-18-2007, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450
My 2007 GL450 came without the iPOD adapter installed at the factory even though I ordered it from the factory.

The dealer had it installedm later.

The dealer used an outside auto accessories shop to do the installation of the MB iPOD intergration kit. It is a high quality shop and the install was fine.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I had the same thing happen. They told me that car had iPod kit and charged me for it but it was missing. Dealer installed it for me at the factory price eating the 2 - 3 hours of labor. I would be hesitant to go to an outside shop for work that was supposed to be done at factory else should be done by dealer. But that is just me.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
If the car came without IPOD adapter, I am sure the dealer will blame MB and charge MB for labor to install. Unless of course somehow the dealer did not select IPod option when ordering.. but then you should not be charged for IPod because the final invoice is created from order placed.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:05 AM

NJ Edison, ACURA TL , GL450
Hi

May I ask what dealership it is
Old 12-27-2007, 02:06 PM

2013 GL 450
Update

IPOD adapter that they neglected to install at the factory: they were supposed to do it last week, picked up the vehicle, then called me and told me they didn't have the parts because they didn't coordinate with the electroincs place that was installing it. Don't ask. To make matters far worse, they were supposed to bring my vehicle back at 5pm (pickup and dropoff service) but didn't show up until 6:15---the guy was driving around lost in my neighborhood for 1 1/2 hours. HELLO, the vehicle has GPS!. Got my car back, lighter on gas, no IPOD adapter and I noticed that one of the rims had been scraped against a curb (I guess). They are picking my vehicle up next week and will have the IPOD adapter installed and the rim fixed by someone who does this for a living. Rather than lose my freakin mind right now, I'll get the work done and if I'm not satisified I will have them replace it. I figured I'd start by being reasonable (although my patience has been depleted). The scrape doesn't appear to have dented or gone too deep so some minor cosmetics should suffice. But I am pissed. On a good note, they told me the aftermarket IPOD adapter is actually better since their isn't a volume issue and the tracks/info is displayed on the Command screen. I'll post follow-up comments once installed.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:13 PM

2014 GL 450
To make matters far worse, they were supposed to bring my vehicle back at 5pm (pickup and dropoff service) but didn't show up until 6:15---the guy was driving around lost in my neighborhood for 1 1/2 hours. HELLO, the vehicle has GPS!
Sorry, but this statement got a good laugh out of me. Sorry to hear about the problems you're having.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
IPOD adapter that they neglected to install at the factory: they were supposed to do it last week, picked up the vehicle, then called me and told me they didn't have the parts because they didn't coordinate with the electroincs place that was installing it. Don't ask. To make matters far worse, they were supposed to bring my vehicle back at 5pm (pickup and dropoff service) but didn't show up until 6:15---the guy was driving around lost in my neighborhood for 1 1/2 hours. HELLO, the vehicle has GPS!. Got my car back, lighter on gas, no IPOD adapter and I noticed that one of the rims had been scraped against a curb (I guess). They are picking my vehicle up next week and will have the IPOD adapter installed and the rim fixed by someone who does this for a living. Rather than lose my freakin mind right now, I'll get the work done and if I'm not satisified I will have them replace it. I figured I'd start by being reasonable (although my patience has been depleted). The scrape doesn't appear to have dented or gone too deep so some minor cosmetics should suffice. But I am pissed. On a good note, they told me the aftermarket IPOD adapter is actually better since their isn't a volume issue and the tracks/info is displayed on the Command screen. I'll post follow-up comments once installed.
I would flat out tell then I wanted a new AMG rim!

On the iPOD, I am far from a novice on this thing but make sure the "electronics place" is familiar with the the COMAND system since they will be connecting to it somehow.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:20 PM

2013 GL 450
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
Sorry, but this statement got a good laugh out of me. Sorry to hear about the problems you're having.
At least I can provide fodder for the forum! LOL
Old 12-27-2007, 05:28 PM

'08 GL320 CDI, 2001 996 C4S
With regards to the Ipod integration kit, I think they are just going to get the integration kit from Mercedes and have the shop install it. I have no heard of an aftermarket Ipod integration for the Mercedes command not unless it will be those generic that go thru the FM frequency. Anyone who better know can comment on this
Old 12-27-2007, 05:32 PM

2013 GL 450
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I would flat out tell then I wanted a new AMG rim!

On the iPOD, I am far from a novice on this thing but make sure the "electronics place" is familiar with the the COMAND system since they will be connecting to it somehow.
I am "told" that this place handles all of this dealership's electronics installs and they are very experienced. I actually had this place do an alarm for me many moons ago and they were professional. Still not happy about them messing with my GL. The only thing I can say so far is that even though the dealership has messed up a few things here (maybe more than a few) they are very apologetic and want to make things right. I am guessing at some point they might stop being so accomodating, if things start to get "old" or too expensive for them. They at least want to make me happy while the satisfaction survey is still pending.

I was going back and forth on whether to demand a new rim or not. I know that I am in within my rights to do so but I'm not sure if that's the best path. If I do that they might say no way, because it's so expensive, and say "prove we did it", "you could have done it yourself". In which case I would have to sue them and it would probably not be worth it. Plus my relationship with them would be over at that point (assuming I care). My first reaction was to demand a new rim. Period. Then I thought that I should let their guy have a look at it and determine if he can make it look like new. If so, I give it a try and if I don't like it then I tell them, hey I tried to be nice and do it your way but it looks like garbage and I want a new rim, you can sell this other one or something. I might have more leverage because I gave it a shot. I don't know, maybe I am just getting soft. I am bummed though.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:35 PM

2013 GL 450
Originally Posted by gas-man
With regards to the Ipod integration kit, I think they are just going to get the integration kit from Mercedes and have the shop install it. I have no heard of an aftermarket Ipod integration for the Mercedes command not unless it will be those generic that go thru the FM frequency. Anyone who better know can comment on this
It certainly better not be an FM transmitter. I think I will call them and ask to speak to the guy. My sale guy told me specifically that they deal with this place exclusively and they do tons of MB's. He also said he had to order this part. Maybe it is the original MB part but they put something else "in-line"?? I will call them tomorrow and ask them directly and will post my findings.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
My first reaction was to demand a new rim. Period. Then I thought that I should let their guy have a look at it and determine if he can make it look like new. If so, I give it a try and if I don't like it then I tell them, hey I tried to be nice and do it your way but it looks like garbage and I want a new rim, you can sell this other one or something. I might have more leverage because I gave it a shot. I don't know, maybe I am just getting soft. I am bummed though.
Patsy, IMHO you are taking the high road. I know it's really tough to grit your teeth and smile through the whole thing, but to them it's your money and not theirs so they know they can basically say, "tough cookies, you did it not us" and walk away. It'll be impossible for you to try and prove they did it or at least as expensive as it would be for you to replace it yourself. They're trying to fix it, give them the chance, be patient, and it may all work out well. If you are not satisfied (and you have every right to be picky) you say, "Okay, we tried it your way and it didn't work, I think we better try it my way now." Dive in with demands and they'll tune you out faster than an iPod FM transmitter. (That's called 'a callback' in comedy.)

STP
Old 12-27-2007, 10:56 PM

BMW 335 Conv.; MB GL 320CDI
I am with STP; you can always play hardball after trying the reasoned approach. What do you have to lose letting them try to buff out the scratch. Same is true with the Ipod adapter. Ultimatley, your approach with them, firm but reasonable should win the day. Unfortunatley, there is always litigation if that approach fails, but it is hard to imagine that it will make financial sense-a couple hours with an attorney and you paid for the rim
Old 12-28-2007, 07:16 AM
XJ9

C350
It certainly better not be an FM transmitter. I think I will call them and ask to speak to the guy. My sale guy told me specifically that they deal with this place exclusively and they do tons of MB's. He also said he had to order this part. Maybe it is the original MB part but they put something else "in-line"?? I will call them tomorrow and ask them directly and will post my findings.
They are talking about one of the aftermarket optical bus kits which are actually more expensive and nicer than the factory kit. They work very well.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am "told" that this place handles all of this dealership's electronics installs and they are very experienced. I actually had this place do an alarm for me many moons ago and they were professional. Still not happy about them messing with my GL. The only thing I can say so far is that even though the dealership has messed up a few things here (maybe more than a few) they are very apologetic and want to make things right. I am guessing at some point they might stop being so accomodating, if things start to get "old" or too expensive for them. They at least want to make me happy while the satisfaction survey is still pending.

I was going back and forth on whether to demand a new rim or not. I know that I am in within my rights to do so but I'm not sure if that's the best path. If I do that they might say no way, because it's so expensive, and say "prove we did it", "you could have done it yourself". In which case I would have to sue them and it would probably not be worth it. Plus my relationship with them would be over at that point (assuming I care). My first reaction was to demand a new rim. Period. Then I thought that I should let their guy have a look at it and determine if he can make it look like new. If so, I give it a try and if I don't like it then I tell them, hey I tried to be nice and do it your way but it looks like garbage and I want a new rim, you can sell this other one or something. I might have more leverage because I gave it a shot. I don't know, maybe I am just getting soft. I am bummed though.
Become the "pack leader" patsy...:-)

You have to exert your power and energy as a customer, not follow the pack which in this case is the service department. I don't mean growl and show your teeth, but firmly indicate that they are at fault with the rim and you want a replacement. If they are willing to try and fix it, it means they admit they must have messed it up. You are (in your own words) "afraid you may lose the good relationship with them." It is up to them to earn your loyalty, not up to you to appease them and "hope" they are nice to you. You spent $80K with them and it is up to them to provide you service at your level of acceptance.

Time to put the training collar on them...:-)

I watch the Dog Whisperer a lot as you can see...:-)
Old 12-28-2007, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by XJ9
They are talking about one of the aftermarket optical bus kits which are actually more expensive and nicer than the factory kit. They work very well.
Ex-Jay-Niyen (I believe that's how it's properly pronounced), where might we find literature on these aftermarket bus kits?

Thanks,

STP
Old 12-28-2007, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You are (in your own words) "afraid you may lose the good relationship with them." It is up to them to earn your loyalty, not up to you to appease them and "hope" they are nice to you. You spent $80K with them and it is up to them to provide you service at your level of acceptance.
Oh, Jack, Jack, Jack, you are so young and naiive. Don't you know, it's a priviledge to have a Mercedes dealership take your money! If they screw up on the service end, well, we're just supposed to be honored they bothered to try at all to work on our vehicles.

I tuned him out as soon as he started supporting PETA-backed anti-dog-breeder legislation. Short sighted stuff that - it would mean that the only place your next pet's going to come from is Tijuana's "Dog Row." (over)

STP
Old 12-29-2007, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by StevethePilot

I tuned him out as soon as he started supporting PETA-backed anti-dog-breeder legislation. Short sighted stuff that - it would mean that the only place your next pet's going to come from is Tijuana's "Dog Row." (over)

STP

I watch the show because it really shows that the owner in most cases is the cause of the pets problems and requires the owner to change his/her methods along with the dogs. Regardless of his support for any PETA program he is an effective and good communicator to owners on how to enjoy your pet more.

With all the pets in foster homes and shelters, it seems that by taking action to adopt these poor animals instead of buying one, the puppy mills and "Dog Row" may disappear but I doubt it. PETA is just another organization who keeps stirring the pot for their own agenda and money making schemes.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:03 AM
XJ9

C350
Become the "pack leader" patsy...:-)

You have to exert your power and energy as a customer, not follow the pack which in this case is the service department. I don't mean growl and show your teeth, but firmly indicate that they are at fault with the rim and you want a replacement. If they are willing to try and fix it, it means they admit they must have messed it up. You are (in your own words) "afraid you may lose the good relationship with them." It is up to them to earn your loyalty, not up to you to appease them and "hope" they are nice to you. You spent $80K with them and it is up to them to provide you service at your level of acceptance.

Time to put the training collar on them...:-)

So does that mean when you first walk into the service department its "no touch, no talk, no eye contact" until the service techs settle down
Old 12-29-2007, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by XJ9
So does that mean when you first walk into the service department its "no touch, no talk, no eye contact" until the service techs settle down
I guess if the SA is already in an aggressive mode and barking that would be appropriate...:-)
Old 12-29-2007, 10:45 AM

2014 GL 450

I watch the show because it really shows that the owner in most cases is the cause of the pets problems and requires the owner to change his/her methods along with the dogs. Regardless of his support for any PETA program he is an effective and good communicator to owners on how to enjoy your pet more.

With all the pets in foster homes and shelters, it seems that by taking action to adopt these poor animals instead of buying one, the puppy mills and "Dog Row" may disappear but I doubt it. PETA is just another organization who keeps stirring the pot for their own agenda and money making schemes.
I agree that 90% of dog training is for the owner & 10% of it is for the dog. I'm involved in dog rescue (Labs) and I cannot tell you how many nightmare dogs we've gotten because of what their owners have done to them. Cesar Milan did some work with the rescue group I'm affiliated with a few years ago (before he went "Hollywood") and he is an amazing man who is able to quickly identify the problem & communicate how to fix it.

I currently am fostering a 1 year old yellow male Lab named Carver who was a stray at our shelter. There are many wonderful dogs at shelters, but most of them do need a little work...just like people
Old 12-29-2007, 11:16 AM

GL550
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
I agree that 90% of dog training is for the owner & 10% of it is for the dog. I'm involved in dog rescue (Labs) and I cannot tell you how many nightmare dogs we've gotten because of what their owners have done to them. Cesar Milan did some work with the rescue group I'm affiliated with a few years ago (before he went "Hollywood") and he is an amazing man who is able to quickly identify the problem & communicate how to fix it.

I currently am fostering a 1 year old yellow male Lab named Carver who was a stray at our shelter. There are many wonderful dogs at shelters, but most of them do need a little work...just like people
Leo and Sophie (German Shepherds) couldn't say it any better.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:03 PM

2013 GL 450
Sorry for the cross post, I just wanted to make sure this update was in the correct spot for future reference.

IPOD adapter, quick update. The after market one they are using is made by NAV-TV. While it is better in the sense that it will display all ipod info on the large Command screen, the connection has to be done through the CD Changer port which means no more cd changer (you still have the single disc in the dash). At first I wasn't happy about that but I guess in reality between Sat Radio and the IPOD, I really won't use cd's much anymore, and if I do, I'll have the single slot to use.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1st Snag - IPOD Adapter Missing