Tire "chains" for GL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:25 PM
ecm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS63, 2015 GL63
Tire "chains" for GL?

I live in Northern CA and when driving to Tahoe I believe that tire chains (of some sort) may be required on some roads if caught in a snowstorm. I called an MB dealer but they were no help. I've got 19" wheels on GL450.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:49 PM

2002 BMW 330i, and GL 450
Originally Posted by ecm
I live in Northern CA and when driving to Tahoe I believe that tire chains (of some sort) may be required on some roads if caught in a snowstorm. I called an MB dealer but they were no help. I've got 19" wheels on GL450.
The 19" tires on your GL are snow tires. I went to tahoe a few weeks ago during a storm, and the GL perfomed really well. No need for chains.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The 19 in tires on your GL are "all season" tires which are VERY far from being snow tires.

Your owners manual discusses chains.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by ecm
I called MB about chains when planning a trip up north. They recommended a brand I ended up calling on, they were about $800 for a set, if I recall correctly, but apparantly very good. Of course, with tires down to where they needed to be replaced, I found excellent control with my all-seasons even on the few patches of ice we did hit. German engineering.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:07 AM

2002 BMW 330i, and GL 450
Originally Posted by lkchris
The 19 in tires on your GL are "all season" tires which are VERY far from being snow tires.

Your owners manual discusses chains.
I have some Pirelli Scorpions snow and ice tires in my garage and the thread is pretty similar to the contis I could've sworn the contis were rated for snow and ice?? If not, I stand corrected.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 GL450
I have the Conti tires on my GL and they are rated S+M, snow and mud.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:07 AM

2006 WRX STI
Almost every single all-season tire is marked "Mud and Snow." However, it doesn't mean that they are a proper winter tire.

The "M+S" designation was made based simply upon tread pattern, but tread pattern by itself cannot guarantee proper performance in the winter when temperatures drop. All-season tires stiffen up considerably at low temperatures, which makes them bad at gripping and good at sliding (kinda like a hockey puck on ice). That means that on ice your car will travel much further after you hit the brakes than it would have if you were on true winter tires. And that can mean the difference between a near miss and a crash.

For a true winter tire, you need to look for the mountain snowflake symbol which means that the tire is designed to stay soft and flexible and retain traction at low temperatures.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:12 PM

2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
ecm,

If you are simply taking the GL up to Tahoe every once in a while, you really don't need to invest in a specific set of snow tires.

In some conditions Cal Trans will require tire chains if you have a 2 wheel drive and M+S tread pattern if you have a 4 Wheel Drive... And if its really snowy they will just simply close the roads.

In reality Specific Snow Tires are indeed the safest, but if you use the M+S all season tires that came with your GL you will be fine. Just keep in mind that these tires are all-season and take it really easy.

If you want the ultimate in safety, you can get tire chains for all 4 wheels of your GL, but it is not necessary simply to get past the Cal Trans checkpoints.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Ford Expedition
Tire Chains

You can try:

SCC online.This section of the website contains facts and information about "Winter Traction Products". Web Site: http://www.scc-chain.com/

or

Tire Chains Required; Web Site: http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/snow-chains.html

or

Milz AG a pioneer in snowchain fast mount;
Web Site: http://www.milzproducts.com/index_e.php

or

Snow chains; For secure grip on slippery ground such as ice and snow, fast and easy mounting, comfortable handling. Web Site: http://www.rud.com/en/home.html

CA Dept of Transportation:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/chcontrl.htm
Road Information - Winter Driving Tips - Chain Controls

Before driving, check with the Caltrans Highway Information Network [Caltrans manages more than 45,000 miles of California's highway and freeway lanes] (CHIN)
Types of Chain Controls:

During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
Snow-tread Tires:

The California vehicle code section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows, " A 'Snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewall.
Tire Traction Devices:

The California vehicle code section 605 defines tire traction devices as follows: " Tire Traction Devices are devices or mechanisms having a composition and design capable of improving vehicle traction, braking and cornering ability upon snow or ice-covered surfaces. Tire traction devices shall be constructed and assembled to provide sufficient structural integrity and to prevent accidental detachment from vehicles. Tire traction devices shall, at the time of manufacture or final assembly, bear a permanent impression indicating the name, initials or trademark of the assembling company or primary manufacturer, and the country in which the devices were manufactured or assembled in final form."

If you would like to view a full version of the California Vehicle Code it can be located at the following location, under California Law: http//www.leginfo.ca.gov

The Department of Transportation does not sell nor recommend specific brands of tire chains. It is best to check your vehicle manufacturer's specifications for use of tire chains/traction devices.

A chart depicting the proper placement of traction devices is available in Adobe Portable Document format. You can easily print this file for your records. When printing the file use the printer button in the Acrobat Reader not the printer button from your browser. If you do not have the most current version of Acrobat Reader from Adobe click here to download.

Last edited by Quicks; 02-23-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:24 PM
MKW

08 GL450
As someone who owns a home on Lake Tahoe and goes there twice a month from the Bay Area , my GL 450 with OEM 19" ' M+S Contis does just fine in all conditions . Just remember to watch for black ice in the early morning , as even vehicles with snow tires will slide in such a " no-wheel drive " situation !

In R2 conditions with check points , the Caltrans workers pretty much wave through all SUVs ( they can't tell whether AWD or RWD versions ) , Subarus and Audis . Typical spin out vehicle is the first timer yahoo with his new SUV with bling 26 inch summer steamroller tires , weaving in and out at high speed because he believes too many of the laughable winterplay SUV commercials .

Caltrans will shut I80 completely if conditions are bad . This east/west interstate is too important and busy to ever invoke R3 status requiring chains even on AWD vehicles with snow tires .

Last edited by MKW; 02-23-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 GL450
Originally Posted by MKW
As someone who owns a home on Lake Tahoe and goes there twice a month from the Bay Area , my GL 450 with OEM 19" ' M+S Contis does just fine in all conditions . Just remember to watch for black ice in the early morning , as even vehicles with snow tires will slide in such a " no-wheel drive " situation !

In R2 conditions with check points , the Caltrans workers pretty much wave through all SUVs ( they can't tell whether AWD or RWD versions ) , Subarus and Audis . Typical spin out vehicle is the first timer yahoo with his new SUV with bling 26 inch summer steamroller tires , weaving in and out at high speed because he believes too many of the laughable winterplay SUV commercials .

Caltrans will shut I80 completely if conditions are bad . This east/west interstate is too important and busy to ever invoke R3 status requiring chains even on AWD vehicles with snow tires .
I see you travel to north Lake Tahoe area via I80? What is your experience traveling on US 50 with your GL during the winter months? We are in the process of purchasing a vacation home in the South Lake Tahoe area and wondered if we would need to invest in some good chains/cable. Thanks.

Steve
Old 02-23-2008, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by SteveY
What is your experience traveling on US 50 with your GL during the winter months? We are in the process of purchasing a vacation home in the South Lake Tahoe area and wondered if we would need to invest in some good chains/cable. Thanks.
I don't know US-50 that well but if you're truly worried, you could always do this; http://www.mattracks.com/

STP
Old 02-23-2008, 05:19 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Originally Posted by SteveY
I see you travel to north Lake Tahoe area via I80? What is your experience traveling on US 50 with your GL during the winter months? We are in the process of purchasing a vacation home in the South Lake Tahoe area and wondered if we would need to invest in some good chains/cable. Thanks.

Steve

Since our home is on north Lake Tahoe's Carnelian Bay lakefront, we never travel via 50 , even in the summer , as that puts us too far south. And as you know, 89 on the west shore is closed between south Lake Tahoe and north Lake Tahoe pretty much all winter and who wants to drive all the way around the Nevada side to get from one end to the other in bad weather . The only reason one would need snow tires or studded snow tires would be if you had a place with a long pvt minimally plowed access road in steep terrain .
Chains are useless, as 50 or 80 would be closed in conditions that wouldn't allow traversing with AWD/M+S tires only. You're not gonna use chains ( or even be allowed to clank around in them ) in the urbanized Tahoe Basin once over the summit.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:35 PM

Mercedes GLE 63S / GL 420 CDI / C250 Diesel 4 MATIC
No Chains At All

Originally Posted by ecm
I was in 4Matic driving course with MB pilots and technicians in Andorra / Pirinees / Europe and they said with the 4matic no chains are needed. The car performs very well in very icy conditions. If by any chance you want to use chains because you feel more confortable, use them only in the directional wheels, the front wheels.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by MERCFAN
I was in 4Matic driving course with MB pilots and technicians in Andorra / Pirinees / Europe and they said with the 4matic no chains are needed. The car performs very well in very icy conditions. If by any chance you want to use chains because you feel more confortable, use them only in the directional wheels, the front wheels.
Sorry, owners manual says rear wheels only.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:59 PM

Mercedes GLE 63S / GL 420 CDI / C250 Diesel 4 MATIC
Which one is right??

Originally Posted by lkchris
Sorry, owners manual says rear wheels only.
Which one is right??
Tha manual or the techs from MB with the hands on the job??
Dificult decision.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:28 PM

2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Here is a link to Winter Driving section of the MZB GL Class Interactive Owner's manual...

http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars...19.html#N21C1B