GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Anybody here own a Premier Edition GL450?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends where I'm going.
Anybody here own a Premier Edition GL450?

My Premier Edition came with 20" wheels and tires. I am having an ongoing tire issue with the 20" Michelin Diamaris tires that came with the car. They started cupping and howling at 5k miles. It got progressively worse until I couldn't stand it any longer at 15k miles. Despite greater than 50% treadlife remaining I elected to replace them with new ones and did an alignment at 15k miles. Now it's 7k miles later and they are starting up again. Anyone else with this issue? I don't want to be dropping $1800 on tires and alignment every 10-15k miles.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 S350 ,2013 ML350,'08 C300
I haven't had any problems at all with the 20" Diamtris tires. A little noisy, but that is to be expected with that big footprint. 16K miles and still trucking!
Old 04-14-2008, 11:05 PM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
I had to replace my rear tires this past summer after the truck had been in for service at 12,000 miles. I was in New York with my family and my motorcycle trailer in tow. For some reason, despite proper inflation pressure, the rear tires wore down to the belts, and by chance I noticed. Thank God we took the Amtrak AutoTrain up, so we hadn't driven much on those bad tires. The tires were replaced at a dealer in NJ and we were on our way. My dealer in Miami, who possibly overlooked something while the truck was in service a few days before, was kind enough to reinburse me. Now, at 23,000 miles, the fronts will need replacing. They've been howling for a while ( loudest at 50 mph) and now they're down to where the wear bars are visible, which means it's time for new tires. I've always been OCD about tire pressures and rotation, and with the lease being up next September, I don't want to put on four new tires. By the time the lease is up, the rears will likely be nearing the end of their lifespan, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. As long as they hold air, MB won't care. If you haven't already done so, I think you ought to check if your tires are always properly inflated and balanced, which may be a contributing factor to your problem. These tires are expensive and I hate to see anyone having to spend money needlessly. Good luck in solving the problem.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
I had uneven tread wear around 6k (more in the rear). So bad that the tires could not be rotated. The road noise and wet traction was terrible around 12k. By the time I traded the truck at 14K, the tires were very low on tread (not enough to pass inspection (PA)).

I dont know if you have other options when it comes to tires. IMO these tires were terrible for wet (car felt like it was losing grip 50mph+) and were not very well at getting a good grip to stop the car in snow.

Good luck
Old 04-15-2008, 08:59 PM

20" tire replacement?

I just lost a tire to a nail at 15k miles. I need to replace as anyway since the tread is down to warning. Anyone have a replacement tire they advise for 20" wheel? 15k is pathetic for tread life.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by SeattleGL450
I just lost a tire to a nail at 15k miles. I need to replace as anyway since the tread is down to warning. Anyone have a replacement tire they advise for 20" wheel? 15k is pathetic for tread life.
Don't put a performance tire on your vehicle. It'll be harder to find one with the correct sidewall size that isn't a performance tire, but if you want more that 15-20k on a set, go for a cross-terrain or all weather, something with a longer treadlife. Of course, you'll lose out on speed performance, and on handling. You might, however, get some better comfort.

I got a little over 20k on my OEM Michelins, 265/60 R18 (18 inch rims), without really working them that hard. Sort of.

STP
Old 04-16-2008, 04:45 AM

Depends where I'm going.
Interesting about the tire wear you guys have experienced. I replaced mine at 15k miles and they looked like they easily had 60% tread life remaining. The problem with the PE 20" wheels is that there are only 2 tires available for it, the Michelin Diamaris and a Continental (not sure of which tire). The PE is the only MB that uses these 20" wheels so it's kind of messed up. I have considered picking up a set of the regular 19" wheels so I can have more tire options. Either that or it's time for the 21" GL550 wheels and some fender flares!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:29 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
i wonder if the treadwear is heavier in colder climate? My GL did spend a winter driving on cold roads.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:21 PM

Porsche Cayenne Turbo
i had a similar issue with my cayenne, got 2 of 4 replaced by dealer. since then i've had those conti's as well and now a new set of bridgestones that just came out in that size (cayenne oem) and they have been fantastic and cost a lot less to boot - highly recommended.

you already did it, but might wanna recheck alignment as that can definitely get thrown off and cause the uneven wear you spoke of
Old 04-24-2008, 05:14 AM

Depends where I'm going.
Update. Picked up my car Monday and the dealership put on 2 new front tires as a goodwill gesture. They said the toe was a little off so my guess is they screwed up the alignment they did when the tires were replaced 7k miles ago. I didn't ask for new tires so I would imagine if the dealership ate the cost there must have been a reason. Regardless, I'm not complaining because the car is silent again!

Now for the bad stuff. I had a cracked windshield and I had it replaced it while it was in for the 25k service and tire issue. The inside of the car is completely covered in dust like they had taken the window out and let it sit for a few days! No big deal, I cleaned it up and it's taken care of. I get a call tonight (I'm out of town) and my wife tells me that the steering wheel is not centered and the truck has a little shake. I guess I need to take it back.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:59 AM

GL550
Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Update. Picked up my car Monday and the dealership put on 2 new front tires as a goodwill gesture. They said the toe was a little off so my guess is they screwed up the alignment they did when the tires were replaced 7k miles ago. I didn't ask for new tires so I would imagine if the dealership ate the cost there must have been a reason. Regardless, I'm not complaining because the car is silent again!

Now for the bad stuff. I had a cracked windshield and I had it replaced it while it was in for the 25k service and tire issue. The inside of the car is completely covered in dust like they had taken the window out and let it sit for a few days! No big deal, I cleaned it up and it's taken care of. I get a call tonight (I'm out of town) and my wife tells me that the steering wheel is not centered and the truck has a little shake. I guess I need to take it back.
I hope this isn't the Fresno dealership!