Brake action. Mushy.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Brake action. Mushy.

We've had our GL320 for about a week, and my only gripe is with brake pedal action. I like a firm pedal that you modulate by force. The GL seems to have a brake pedal that works like the gas pedal! The further down you push, the stronger the force. I suppose that's fine for the dainty, but I'm still getting used to it.

Anyone else have this gripe? Is there any solution, or should I just get used to it?
Old 06-01-2008, 03:11 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
My wife was having the same problem on our test drive. I didn't even notice until she pointed it out, I just got in and strtaed driving as smoothly as any other car, she was ripping my head of with the braking action.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Or, should I just get used to it?
I know you're not going to like this, but +1.

Brake feel is one of those items that is highly dependent on the individual user. What one person likes, another hates.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 500E, 2006 E500, 2007 GL 450
It seems that the brake feel you describe is common to modern MB's. Its not my cup of tea either.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:30 PM

GL550
We've had our GL320 for about a week, and my only gripe is with brake pedal action. I like a firm pedal that you modulate by force. The GL seems to have a brake pedal that works like the gas pedal! The further down you push, the stronger the force. I suppose that's fine for the dainty, but I'm still getting used to it.

Anyone else have this gripe? Is there any solution, or should I just get used to it?
Stainless steel brake lines are supposed to help.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 958 Likes on 575 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60

My daily driver is a '06 BMW M5, which like your other vehicles has a good quality feel to the brake pedal; especially since I had the OEM fluid replaced with Motul 600.

I notice the exact same thing with the brake action of our brand new 320 CDI, in that the first few cms of pressure don't do much, then the brakes really seem to 'kick-in'. Retardation seems excellent though when you really push down hard. It's something I find 'odd' but am getting used to it quickly.

Our trade on the CDI, a '06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, had bloody big Brembos on the front, and also had good feel. Even though my wife had been driving it primarily for the last 15 months, she mentioned nothing re: difference in brake feel. Go figure!

Perhaps you and I should stay off of the track! lol.

Bish
Old 06-02-2008, 12:20 AM

2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
It’s one of the few things that’s not perfect about my beloved GL. It’s not that hard to get used to. I don’t really notice it much anymore.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:25 AM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by LEOSOPHIE
They definitely make a difference on a motorcycle.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:55 AM

2008 C350
This seems to be a very common complaint of the GL...it's mentioned in just about every review I've read. I eventually got used to the feeling and don't mind it at all now. During the first test drive, I about gave everyone riding in the car whiplash from pressing the brake just a tad too hard.

Originally Posted by nantucketsleigh
It seems that the brake feel you describe is common to modern MB's. Its not my cup of tea either.
Has anyone experienced the mushy brake on other MB's?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by nantucketsleigh
"Modern" must have started in the last few years. My C32 has a nice, hard pedal.

I'm sure I'll get used to it. I suspect it is programmed into the system and is not something that will be easily fixed.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by LEOSOPHIE
Can that actually be done on the GLs?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:38 AM

GL550
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Can that actually be done on the GLs?
Brembo supplies stainless lines with all their big brake upgrade kits but i can't find an application for the oem brakes.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:33 PM

2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
The feel you describe is almost the same feel that I have experienced on nearly all big heavy SUVs that I have ever driven.

Perhaps it has something to do with the weight of the vehicle... Or better yet the GVWR of the vehicle that the brakes are on...

Vehicles designed to carry a lot of weight and tow a lot of weight need to have brakes designed differently (more durable) than sports cars that will typically not vary in weight from one trip to another.

It just takes a bit of getting used to... especially if you are coming from a sports car.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
"Modern" must have started in the last few years. My C32 has a nice, hard pedal.

I'm sure I'll get used to it. I suspect it is programmed into the system and is not something that will be easily fixed.
Your C is an AMG, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. My W163 has a kind of mushy feel to it, but I don't really mind it.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Danno4x4
The feel you describe is almost the same feel that I have experienced on nearly all big heavy SUVs that I have ever driven.

Perhaps it has something to do with the weight of the vehicle... Or better yet the GVWR of the vehicle that the brakes are on...

Vehicles designed to carry a lot of weight and tow a lot of weight need to have brakes designed differently (more durable) than sports cars that will typically not vary in weight from one trip to another.

It just takes a bit of getting used to... especially if you are coming from a sports car.
We drove an Acura MDX for years, and the pedal action was not nearly as mushy as the GL. I'm an amateur brake technician (I do all my own brake work), and a brake system is basically a hydraulic pump, and if all the "slack" is out, it should hit a firm bottom. I think the gradual action of the GL is something that was designed into the system. Someone decided that a system with gradually building boost would be more acceptable. It's a good system, just kind of unconventional.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Brake Assist

Couldn't it have to do with "brake assist.?" As I understand it the quicker you take your foot off the gas pedal and apply the brakes in a hard stop, the system (computer calculates this) will apply 100% braking power to stop the car as quickly as possible. Perhaps this is why the pedal feel is "mushy." I can't remember but I think the S550 had a softer pedal feel also.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:57 PM

GL320 CDI, SL550
I find the brake action on the GL to be very good. The car I had before this was a nasty 2003 BMW 745 and I hated the brakes on that car - the ride was very herky / jerky by applying just a little pressure on the brakes.

When I got my GL I was worried I wouldn't like the brakes and was particular since I had come from a car that had terrible brake action - it is a little different but then again it is a truck / SUV and not a car...I got used to it after about a week and never thought about it again.

As with almost everything else with the GL - it is all good
Old 06-03-2008, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Yes, the GL brake feel sucks.

Wish it had the sensotronic system we have on our E.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by lkchris
Yes, the GL brake feel sucks.

Wish it had the sensotronic system we have on our E.
The sensotronic system is being discontinued so I understand in the new model due in 2009. There were many complaints on that system and I know on my 2003 E it took a great deal of getting used to. My wife who was no longer driving always mentioned the "jerky" motion while braking. It did smooth out eventually but the complaints level was very high.

I don't have a real problem with the softer pedal on the GL... I am accustomed to it now and when I need to brake, it always responds well.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:30 AM

2008 GL 550
Originally Posted by cjh.
Has anyone experienced the mushy brake on other MB's?
Used to have an ML320 which had unbelievably mushy brakes. This was a huge known problem with the earlier models. I upgraded to steel braided lines but that did not do anything (earlier years actually had a recall on the lines). I was told by my mechanic that short of upgrading entire braking system (e.g. Brembo kit) at a cost of $4-5k there wa snot much to be done.

I also find my GL brakes mushy and sometimes inconsistent in feel and reaction - one of the few complaints I have with the GL. Having said that they are a vast improvement from my ML brakes.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Sensotronic, aka SBC was removed with the 2007 E class. The SL, and SLR still have SBC though.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Perhaps some firmer pads will help with this soft pedal feel. Hopefully, with the 2009 models the engineers address this minor issue.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by slim nicky
Used to have an ML320 which had unbelievably mushy brakes. This was a huge known problem with the earlier models. I upgraded to steel braided lines but that did not do anything (earlier years actually had a recall on the lines). I was told by my mechanic that short of upgrading entire braking system (e.g. Brembo kit) at a cost of $4-5k there wa snot much to be done.

I also find my GL brakes mushy and sometimes inconsistent in feel and reaction - one of the few complaints I have with the GL. Having said that they are a vast improvement from my ML brakes.
Good thing you didn't spring for the big-brake kit. I seriously doubt it would have had any effect. Given the odd, non-linear way that the brakes work, I think the pedal action is governed by software and other system components. Changing calipers and rotors (e.g. Brembo kit) would not likely change anything.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:41 AM

GL550
Brembo upgrade for front and rear sell for 7598.02 from Tire Rack, well over 8000.00 installed. I am considering them but most likely the spare won't fit and the service dept. is warning me about any brake related warranty problems.