GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2009 - no more offroad package?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 02:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G55
Thumbs down 2009 - no more offroad package?

Just tried play on mbusa.com with the 2009 configurator - seems like offroad package is not available for any 2009 US GL models
Old 07-22-2008, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
In general, I’d give the new site some time before I read anything on there as gospel. People are reporting all kinds of problems and omissions.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by gollard
Just tried play on mbusa.com with the 2009 configurator - seems like offroad package is not available for any 2009 US GL models
I think for '09 there will be no off road package available for any model GL.

I understand the Vented Seat and Nappa Leather option for the GL550 will be posted by the end of this week.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:44 AM

'08 320 CDI
No more off-road package

I talked with MB in Alabama about 2 weeks ago regarding a technical question. In the conversation I asked them about future possibility of off-road package in CDI. The guy on the phone, who was from the Alabama factory, said that they were going to completely discontinue the off-road package for N.A. due to low demand. We will see, but I am not surprised that it is not there.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
What a shame.......I have the ORP on my GL, and, of all the vehicles I have ever owned with "off-road capability" to get to my vacation home in the mountains of Vermont, the GL has been the most capable combination of luxury and rough road utility. If they are truly discontinuing the package then my next similar vehicle will have to be a Land Rover and I really don't like that idea
Old 07-25-2008, 09:47 PM

1972 Chevy Vega 2300 - Panel Express
Originally Posted by blittle
What a shame.......I have the ORP on my GL, and, of all the vehicles I have ever owned with "off-road capability" to get to my vacation home in the mountains of Vermont, the GL has been the most capable combination of luxury and rough road utility. If they are truly discontinuing the package then my next similar vehicle will have to be a Land Rover and I really don't like that idea
How can it be said that the GL is not "off-road capable"?

agreed, that diff locks help in extreme situations, but off-roading is more than just loose boulders and ravines.

The GL is an off-road vehicle.

The Off-Road driving program (ORP) is standard and allows the driver to simultaneously engage programming recalibrations of the traction system, antilock brakes, engine management, and automatic transmission (into an equivalent "lo" range).

The GL also comes standard with independent double wishbone suspension in front and independent 4-arm multilink suspension in the rear, unibody construction, 4MATIC 4-wheel drive, Hill start assist, Four wheel adaptive air suspension, height adjustable suspension, and a driver-activated Downhill speed Regulation (DSR) which automatically modulates the throttle, brakes, and ABS to maintain a preset crawl speed when descending hills in off-road conditions.

...more than I'll ever require on terrain I would take a GL (or LandRover)

just my $.02

Last edited by GL Fahrer; 07-25-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by GL Fahrer
How can it be said that the GL is not "off-road capable"?

agreed, that diff locks help in extreme situations, but off-roading is more than just loose boulders and ravines.

The GL is an off-road vehicle.

The Off-Road driving program (ORP) is standard and allows the driver to simultaneously engage programming recalibrations of the traction system, antilock brakes, engine management, and automatic transmission (into an equivalent "lo" range).

The GL also comes standard with independent double wishbone suspension in front and independent 4-arm multilink suspension in the rear, unibody construction, 4MATIC 4-wheel drive, Hill start assist, Four wheel adaptive air suspension, height adjustable suspension, and a driver-activated Downhill speed Regulation (DSR) which automatically modulates the throttle, brakes, and ABS to maintain a preset crawl speed when descending hills in off-road conditions.

...more than I'll ever require on terrain I would take a GL (or LandRover)

just my $.02
Agreed......and I would never actually consider taking the GL over rocks and into ravines , however, I have 3 miles of a one and half lane unmaintained dirt ( mud in spring and fall) road that can be covered with a foot of snow and/or ice in the winter and flooded by the local beaver family at times as well. In 37 years of driving over that road ..... there have been occasions when the diff locks were helpful ( I had a land cruiser that did that ) and the ability to raise the whole vehicle helps in the winter. The ORP lets you take it up further than the standard suspension. My point is that the GL with the ORP is the best combination of luxury to ride the 500 miles I drive to get there and max capability for the last 3 miles of potential challenge. Nothing like knowing you have multiple possible solutions in an area where cell phones don't work!! Good thing it's an MB.....because now I'll probably drive it till it quits! Particularly with the decline in trade values for SUVs.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Orygunchris
I talked with MB in Alabama about 2 weeks ago regarding a technical question. In the conversation I asked them about future possibility of off-road package in CDI. The guy on the phone, who was from the Alabama factory, said that they were going to completely discontinue the off-road package for N.A. due to low demand. We will see, but I am not surprised that it is not there.
How friggin' ridiculous. That sounds like the old arguments from about five years ago when we tried to expand bus service in the Phoenix area. "We don't need to expand bus service, nobody uses it." "Well, nobody uses it because at its current level, it's useless and so we need to expand it!"

To offer the ORP on one of the three GL models, then discontinue it for "lack of demand" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Stupid.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:16 AM
MKW

08 GL450
Originally Posted by blittle
Agreed......and I would never actually consider taking the GL over rocks and into ravines , however, I have 3 miles of a one and half lane unmaintained dirt ( mud in spring and fall) road that can be covered with a foot of snow and/or ice in the winter and flooded by the local beaver family at times as well. In 37 years of driving over that road ..... there have been occasions when the diff locks were helpful ( I had a land cruiser that did that ) and the ability to raise the whole vehicle helps in the winter. The ORP lets you take it up further than the standard suspension. My point is that the GL with the ORP is the best combination of luxury to ride the 500 miles I drive to get there and max capability for the last 3 miles of potential challenge. Nothing like knowing you have multiple possible solutions in an area where cell phones don't work!! Good thing it's an MB.....because now I'll probably drive it till it quits! Particularly with the decline in trade values for SUVs.
I think Alabama figured out that most GL buyers in the US are more concerned about brake dust and assoc brake squeal and the thought of taking their shiny $75K MBZ 's wheels through two feet of mud is repulsive . Sure they've done that with their Range Rovers in Europe and Africa for ages, but then, they didn't have plentiful t beasts of burden alternates we have had here like Rubicon trail capable Jeeps and various trashable American branded AWD/4WD SUVs and pick ups that you can buy for $20-50 K with " zero down /zero interest for 72 months " !

Last edited by MKW; 07-26-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by MKW
I think Alabama figured out that most GL buyers in the US are more concerned about brake dust and assoc brake squeal and the thought of taking their shiny $75K MBZ 's wheels through two feet of mud is repulsive . Sure they've done that with their Range Rovers in Europe and Africa for ages, but then, they didn't have plentiful t beasts of burden alternates we have had here like Rubicon trail capable Jeeps and various trashable American branded AWD/4WD SUVs and pick ups that you can buy for $20-50 K with " zero down /zero interest for 72 months " !
I think you've got it ... and this forum clearly demonstrates your point, as most posts seem about chrome foglight rings, etc.

BTW, in the UK the off-road package is standard on all models.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
How friggin' ridiculous. That sounds like the old arguments from about five years ago when we tried to expand bus service in the Phoenix area. "We don't need to expand bus service, nobody uses it." "Well, nobody uses it because at its current level, it's useless and so we need to expand it!"

To offer the ORP on one of the three GL models, then discontinue it for "lack of demand" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Stupid.

AMEN, Steve..................
Old 07-27-2008, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by StevethePilot

Apparently, I am not the only one who feels strongly about the arbitrary way MBUSA offers options (like Distronic).
Old 07-27-2008, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by oknish
Apparently, I am not the only one who feels strongly about the arbitrary way MBUSA offers options (like Distronic).
Distronic isn't available in '09 so why would you be upset...:-))))))))
Old 07-28-2008, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Distronic isn't available in '09 so why would you be upset...:-))))))))
Ouch.......