GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Wierd things after MCS II Navigation upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450, 2006 Porsche 911, 2004 VROD
Wierd things after MCS II Navigation upgrade

I have recently got the new Navigation DVD, version 2007.1 MCS II Alpine model. And i have inserted in my 2007 GL (My GL came with 2006.1 Navtech DVD). After inserting the new Nav DVD, it says "updating your software for newer version". and it took 5 min for that. after that it returned back to same old Navigation screen. ...And now i see the below wierd things ...

1. It is giving the directions over the houses and asking me to proceed to that route.
2. the next day, i am in 200 main st. and gave a address in 778 main st. and this street is straight without any curves & no oneway's. still it gives me route with lot of turns even if i can go direct.

Did anyone got upgraded thier nav DVD to newer version. and had any issues?

BTW What is the latest nav update for GL?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:06 PM

2014 GL 450
According to the Navteq website, you have the most current version. I bought this version last year before I went on a trip. It does have some oddities...my house is listed as being in a gated area (it's not) so it can only find my road, not house number. The building I work in has been in place for 10 years yet the NAV system says that address doesn't exist.

I have used Navteq's feedback to let them know about these issues, but so far, no 2008 update has been released.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by ksdprasad
2. the next day, i am in 200 main st. and gave a address in 778 main st. and this street is straight without any curves & no oneway's. still it gives me route with lot of turns even if i can go direct.
I've had an issue where going along a straight street, it wants me to make a right, go up a couple blocks, make a left, cross a street, make another left, then get back to the street I was originally on by making another right. For some reason, there are spots where the nav thinks you can't go through.

Keep in mind, however, I've had this happen (though less often) with my wife's Lexus nav, my old Avic Z1 I had in my Lexus, and my Garmin nüvi.

STP
Old 08-26-2008, 10:16 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
I've said it before: the nav in the GL sucks. I mean it really sucks.

Compared to my wife's M5, which is not great because of iDrive, the MB nav still sucks.

How much did the new nav disc cost you? I'm thinking it might be better to just turn the damn thing off and get a nuvi....
Old 08-27-2008, 12:08 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Originally Posted by oinick
I'm thinking it might be better to just turn the damn thing off and get a nuvi....
Yep. I ordered mine without the Nav, but it meant having to pass on the power tailgate and camera in this market... I might now think I would have wanted that stuff, but the nav? No way.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
I'm thinking it might be better to just turn the damn thing off and get a nuvi....
That's a good one. My wife absolutely hates the GL's NAV and I must admit that I can't blame her. It's pretty poor to say the least.

Last weekend, my wife posited it'd be fun to bring her Nuvi into the GL and see what would happen. My daughter thought it was hilarious too. I'm not to keen on the idea, because it'll drive me nuts, but we may just try it to satisfy everyone's curiosity.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Almost a Member!

08 MB GL 320CDI, 07 MB S550, 02 Porsche Cabriolet, 98 MB 450SL, 64 Citreon 2CV
I used the Nav driving to Iowa and it was so totally screwed up; it was worthless and we turned it off. My wife got frustrated with it; I thought she was going to break the screen.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Past use of nav

The only problem I found with the nav in my GL550 was that lousy joy stick which never allowed you to get the right selection. I see they have replaced it in the '09's.

As far as navigating it was fine. Used it on a 5000 miles trip across country and return and never once had an error or wrong direction. It is not as up to date as some others with a lot of fancy screen art but it did the job well. The '09 unit should be much better with the upgrades.

YMMV
Old 08-27-2008, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
Last weekend, my wife posited it'd be fun to bring her Nuvi into the GL and see what would happen. My daughter thought it was hilarious too. I'm not to keen on the idea, because it'll drive me nuts, but we may just try it to satisfy everyone's curiosity.
I've done that and found the difference to be negligible. I was kind of surprised.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:35 AM

2008 GL320CDI
I've said it before: the nav in the GL sucks. I mean it really sucks.
Agreed. I leave it off and use my Garmin 376.

Driving in eastern Canada last month, the nav quit working. The maps went blank (kind of a baby**** yellow blank) and there was no detail. I played with it a bit before realizing that there are no maps for eastern Canada. Apparently 'North America" ends between Fredericton and Moncton New Brunswick. No Nova Scotia, no PEI, no Newfoundland. Period.

Couple that with the joystick, the annoying woman whose volume gain is higher than anything else, and the lousy map fidelity up here in the boonies, and the Garmin gets the nod every time.

Though I have to say it peeves me to have to resort to a portable GPS in an $85K car.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:59 AM

2014 GL 450
I have a Nuvi as well and frankly, it's not a whole lot better than the GL's nav. We used the nav on our trip to Montana last year & had no problems with it.

My only issue with it is when you input an address, it does not display the house/building number when you approach your destination. Say you're going to 123 Main Street. The nav will get you to Main Street & say "your destination is on the right/left" but it doesn't display the house/building #.

I've used it a few times to find a restaurant and that's really hit or miss. Then again, I used the Nuvi in Louisianna to find a restaurant & it directed us to a vacant lot.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:19 PM

How much did the new nav disc cost you? I'm thinking it might be better to just turn the damn thing off and get a nuvi....
I got this new disc from my friend.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kaumajet
Couple that with the joystick, the annoying woman whose volume gain is higher than anything else, and the lousy map fidelity up here in the boonies, and the Garmin gets the nod every time.
Adjust the volume as she speaks. Weirdest thing I'd ever discovered about the nav. Just back-asswards.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:35 AM

today i selected one existing destination address from nav memory and it took me to wrong address (another street near to actual address) saying you reached your destination. TOTALLY pissed off.. .

i thought MB nav guys did some programmatic changes in the software in MCS2007.1 version, and i tried entering the same address manually and it took me to destination correctly.

So my conclusion is your saved nav memory addresses using old nav DVD may not work right with MB's New 2007.1 MCS II disc.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:25 PM

GL 320CDI
The extremes are a bit overdone here. The MB system is a bit old school, but it works fine. I have a new Garmin Zumo that switches between my BMW K1200LT and a Triumph Speedmaster motorcycles. We have original equipment navigation systems in our BMW 335 convertible, Mini-Cooper S, Honda Ridgeline, Toytota Prius, and Mercedes GL320. We also have Raymarine chartplotters in two of our boats, and a handheld Uniden Mystic GPS for jetskiing and kayaking. I also had an aftermarket Pioneer AVIC N-2 integrated navigation system in my recently retired Ford F-250 diesel.

Our experience with all of these systems is that the hardest one to use by far is the Mini-Cooper, which has all kinds of backwards input logic, and the BMW is only slightly better due to the ridiculous I-Drive. The easiest to use by far is the Honda system. The most error-prone system is in the Toyota Prius (tells you to make right turns off freeways onto side streets where there is no exit or you are in an underpass).

The bottom line is that all of these systems work fine most of the time. The Garmin Zumo has been the most consistently reliable in terms of directions, just sligtly better than the GL's system. Both are the only ones that have our mile-long driveway in Pungoteague, VA by its private road name.

The Pioneer and Toyota systems won't let you program while the vehicle is moving. They all have their pluses and minuses, but none are as advanced as the Raytheon systems made for marine use (and they are just as cheap as the automotive options). All of the systems rely on one of two third-party software makers for the mapping quality, directions, points of interest, etc. The GL system isn't as pretty as some of the other ones we have, but we use it all the time and would never feel compelled to use a portable even though we have a couple handy.