GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Electrical Problem - MB says no fix currently available?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 06:00 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Exclamation Electrical Problem - MB says no fix currently available?

I'm back from my world tour. Prior to my departure my GL stsrted exhibiting strange behavior.

On a random basis (anywhere from once a day, to a couple times a block), the Command system turns off, then either the door locks activate, or I get the big red message "Drive directly to workshop without shifting gears".

While I was away, Patricia took the truck in, diagnosis:

...Unable to duplicate, stored codes for overvoltage in several systems, alternator load OK, information from foreman meeting in June found glow plug realy causing voltage spike they are still in the testing phase of a new relay...

I'm going to ring them this morning, seems weird that the glow plug would be active whilst driving. They claim the car is safe to drive, but obviously I can't trust the message centre or whatever if it is giving out false alarms. Plus, command drops my BT calls when it shuts off, kinda rude for the people on the other end. Anyone else out there with a similar issue?

Just got in, hope all is well with everyone, I'll try to catch up with the forum at the weekend.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
I'm back from my world tour. Prior to my departure my GL stsrted exhibiting strange behavior.

On a random basis (anywhere from once a day, to a couple times a block), the Command system turns off, then either the door locks activate, or I get the big red message "Drive directly to workshop without shifting gears".

While I was away, Patricia took the truck in, diagnosis:

...Unable to duplicate, stored codes for overvoltage in several systems, alternator load OK, information from foreman meeting in June found glow plug realy causing voltage spike they are still in the testing phase of a new relay...

I'm going to ring them this morning, seems weird that the glow plug would be active whilst driving. They claim the car is safe to drive, but obviously I can't trust the message centre or whatever if it is giving out false alarms. Plus, command drops my BT calls when it shuts off, kinda rude for the people on the other end. Anyone else out there with a similar issue?

Just got in, hope all is well with everyone, I'll try to catch up with the forum at the weekend.

What a bummer! Electrical problems are the worst. I hope they get to the bottom of this for you. I never had anything weird like that, just dead batteries My paperwork ALWAYS said "Unable to duplicate customer concern", even when I had it towed in DEAD twice!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
Old 12-12-2008, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450

Welcome back Brocktoon....

Kaila got her GL lemoned, now patiently waiting for the replacement. We're dying to seen new photos, can't imagine how antsy she must be.

There's a thread where we're all telling how brainless we are in getting scratches on our GL's. The rear hatch and garage door are a surprisingly common occurrance

A couple of us got the new Blackberry Storm and reported that it integrated with the BT just fine.

I'm sure there's many more, but there's the cliff notes.

Last edited by JimBarnhart; 12-12-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
Welcome back Brocktoon....

Kaila got her GL lemoned, now patiently waiting for the replacement. We're dying to seen new photos, can't imagine how antsy she must be.

There's a thread where we're all telling how brainless we are in getting scratches on our GL's. The rear hatch and garage door are a surprisingly common occurrance

A couple of us got the new Blackberry Storm and reported that it integrated with the BT just fine.

I'm sure there's many more, but there's the cliff notes.
Just having a look at that stuff now, thanks for your summary!

-Can't wait to see Kaila's new GL, happy she did not go all Escalde on us...
-Yes, I have two nice chunks gouged out of my paint on either side of the licence plate from the same garage door move.
-Gonna need a new Blackerry soon, my first gen Pearl is beat up and acting funny.

Saw lots of neat stuff and did lots of business. As a recap, I was in London, Kiev, New York, Frankfurt, Prague, Istanbul, Tashkent and Ashkabad, 35,000 miles of flying. Have my fill of mutton, horse and vodka for the foreseable future, now looking forward to a quiet hlidays, but 15cm of snow and -35 F tonight makes me feel I should have defected to somewhere warmer when I had the chance.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
-Gonna need a new Blackerry soon, my first gen Pearl is beat up and acting funny.
My wife's quite happy with her Blackberry 8830 World Edition. What's nice about it is at home it's on the local system and for overseas it's got a SIM chip in it. I think it'd be perfect for a globe-trotter such as yourself.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices...d=H0,C201,P463

That SHOULD bring up the phone (Canadian region was selected).

Now, as for the other - wasn't there someone having amazing amounts of electrical problems that found there was a leak in the car, causing water to affect the electronics? Did they check that?

STP
Old 12-13-2008, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot

Now, as for the other - wasn't there someone having amazing amounts of electrical problems that found there was a leak in the car, causing water to affect the electronics? Did they check that?

STP
No Mojitos found...
Old 12-14-2008, 01:00 AM

'13 MB GL350 BLUETEC, '10 MB E63 AMG, '95 MB S600, '84 MB 380 SEL
Just having a look at that stuff now, thanks for your summary!

-Can't wait to see Kaila's new GL, happy she did not go all Escalde on us...
-Yes, I have two nice chunks gouged out of my paint on either side of the licence plate from the same garage door move.

Saw lots of neat stuff and did lots of business. As a recap, I was in London, Kiev, New York, Frankfurt, Prague, Istanbul, Tashkent and Ashkabad, 35,000 miles of flying. Have my fill of mutton, horse and vodka for the foreseable future, now looking forward to a quiet hlidays, but 15cm of snow and -35 F tonight makes me feel I should have defected to somewhere warmer when I had the chance.
Welcome back! Hope you had a great time. I always do. When's the next time you're going again?
Old 12-14-2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Joyride
Welcome back! Hope you had a great time. I always do. When's the next time you're going again?
Maybe February to Moscow.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:00 PM

'13 MB GL350 BLUETEC, '10 MB E63 AMG, '95 MB S600, '84 MB 380 SEL
Maybe February to Moscow.
For me it looks like St. Petersburg and Astana in January...
Old 12-17-2008, 06:49 PM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Joyride
For me it looks like St. Petersburg and Astana in January...
What are you up to over ther anyway? You can PM me if you prefer.

Perhaps we can do some biz?