Automatic liftgate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 GL 450 Black/Black
Automatic liftgate

I've noticed that the liftgate symbol turns on briefly after each close of the liftgate and sounds like it finally closes (or is engaging the lock?) when I put the car into drive or reverse and start to drive.

The symbol then turns off immediately after I start to drive off. It almost sounds like it is putting the last touches of a soft close as I put the car into motion. Is this the normal protocol for the rear liftgate or should I not be seeing any symbol at all when using the liftgate?
Old 12-16-2008, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I assume you mean by 'symbol' it shows in the dashboard. You will also notice that your interior dome lights are probably on and the interior liftgate switch is lit.

There are two actions to close the liftgate, one to lower it and one to latch it. The latch portion seems to fail to close the door sometimes - seems more prone in cold weather. Driving seems to give some backpressure that causes it to catch.

This is adjustable/fixible by the dealer.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Almost a Member!

08 GL 450 Black/Black
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
I assume you mean by 'symbol' it shows in the dashboard. You will also notice that your interior dome lights are probably on and the interior liftgate switch is lit.

There are two actions to close the liftgate, one to lower it and one to latch it. The latch portion seems to fail to close the door sometimes - seems more prone in cold weather. Driving seems to give some backpressure that causes it to catch.

This is adjustable/fixible by the dealer.
Thanks Jim. I noticed an old thread on page 2 addressing various liftgate issues so I apologize to all for bringing this up again. I just wasn't sure if the dashboard liftgate light going on was a normal occurrance just before it completely latched. I'll have them take a look at the 3K mile mark.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Almost a Member!

08 GL 450 Black/Black
Originally Posted by dskmd
Thanks Jim. I noticed an old thread on page 2 addressing various liftgate issues so I apologize to all for bringing this up again. I just wasn't sure if the dashboard liftgate light going on was a normal occurrance just before it completely latched. I'll have them take a look at the 3K mile mark.
I'm going down the dreaded path! Completely dead battery when I got home. All the threads about the liftgate draining the battery, no return calls from my SA. At least I got to try out the Tele Aid and they're sending out the tech to my house as I write. The guy says he sees this all the time and his theory is that when you close the liftgate, it pushes an awful lot of air into a tightly sealed car causing the delay or incomplete gate closure. This then leads to battery drain. He recommended cracking the window open just a tad to release the pressure inside when closing the gate.

I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
He recommended cracking the window open just a tad to release the pressure inside when closing the gate.
Try it but I don't think that is the root cause of tailgate not shutting. IIRC, folks had the rubber backstops for tailgate changed/modified. I am pretty sure someone has documented it on the forum.

All the best.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
I'm going down the dreaded path! Completely dead battery when I got home. All the threads about the liftgate draining the battery, no return calls from my SA. At least I got to try out the Tele Aid and they're sending out the tech to my house as I write. The guy says he sees this all the time and his theory is that when you close the liftgate, it pushes an awful lot of air into a tightly sealed car causing the delay or incomplete gate closure. This then leads to battery drain. He recommended cracking the window open just a tad to release the pressure inside when closing the gate.

I'll keep y'all posted.
A good theory by the tech. However, the tailgate closes so slowly that this 'pressured air' just wouldn't occur to any appreciable amount, imho. BTW, we've never had an issue with the tailgate not closing completely.

Bish
Old 12-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Almost a Member!

08 GL 450 Black/Black
Originally Posted by thebishman
A good theory by the tech. However, the tailgate closes so slowly that this 'pressured air' just wouldn't occur to any appreciable amount, imho. BTW, we've never had an issue with the tailgate not closing completely.

Bish
I was impressed by the tele aid tech that came out in within 30 minutes of my call to take care of the issue. Then again, it really was only a jump start, but he had on rubber gloves and took care not to even leave finger prints on the hood. I fortunately didn't have to reset everything like the windows, the sunroof, warning lights, but he ran through all the maneuvers to reset these things before he left.

I tried to see if the liftgate closed like it should by keeping a window open and so far, it's one for one without giving me the open latch signal. Tomorrow may be a different story, but for now, I guess I'll still keep it

I think my sales associate is avoiding me cause I must've sounded like a raving lunatic on his voicemail. Once their little survey from their higher ups was returned by me with all things listed as exceptional (as they beg at each dealership it seems), I think they could care less. It must be the last little weapon we hold before their little month end bonus - but that's probably for another discussion.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
I was impressed by the tele aid tech that came out in within 30 minutes of my call to take care of the issue. Then again, it really was only a jump start, but he had on rubber gloves and took care not to even leave finger prints on the hood. I fortunately didn't have to reset everything like the windows, the sunroof, warning lights, but he ran through all the maneuvers to reset these things before he left.

I tried to see if the liftgate closed like it should by keeping a window open and so far, it's one for one without giving me the open latch signal. Tomorrow may be a different story, but for now, I guess I'll still keep it

I think my sales associate is avoiding me cause I must've sounded like a raving lunatic on his voicemail. Once their little survey from their higher ups was returned by me with all things listed as exceptional (as they beg at each dealership it seems), I think they could care less. It must be the last little weapon we hold before their little month end bonus - but that's probably for another discussion.
My first step after buying a new car is to ask around and identify a really good SA at the dealership. That person can make your life much less stressful.

Bish
Old 12-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Almost a Member!

08 GL 450 Black/Black
Originally Posted by thebishman
My first step after buying a new car is to ask around and identify a really good SA at the dealership. That person can make your life much less stressful.

Bish
True. My SA called first thing this morning. He told me he was technically off yesterday even though he was there physically on his day off. What bugs me is that the receptionist never gave a straight answer and must be trained to say they are with another customer or off on a test drive. It would have been nice if she said it was his day off instead.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:30 PM

'16 528i MSport
Service advisor was supposed to fix this problem with my 450 as well. They said they did but I opened it up last night and tried to close it and it didn't close until I put the car in reverse.

I stated this to the Service advisor initially and he said that it wasn't normal. Will take it back again to have it checked