GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Child protected rear door lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL 450
Child protected rear door lock

Cannot find a child protective lock on the rear doors of GL -450.
Am I missing something?
Old 01-28-2009, 05:38 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
you lock the door with the button on the front door. Note there is no button on the back. Seems simple enough, but nobody could figure it out so apparently there is a switch somewhere for '09. There is an online manual stickied at the top of this forum. It should be in there.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:58 PM

GL 450
Most of the cars nowadays have child-protected rear door locks. They lock rear doors in a way that they could be opened only from the outside. Gl-450 does not seem to have one. Unless I am missing something it appears to be very strange for the car that claims to be kid-friendly.
I could not find where it locks in the manual too. I called my dealer and he said that GL-450 does not have this feature. I am still thinking that he may be missing something too. It is hard to imagine that MB missed to implement such an easy device.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the update. I know exactly what you are talking about, and I told you exactly how it works on a GL. Not quite sure what you are trying to achive with your lecture...

If your question is "I'm looking for a little child lock thing on my door", the answer is easy, it's not there. You lock the back doors from the front. There is no unlock button back there. Simple.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL550, 2019 GLC350e
Originally Posted by Ailizarov
Most of the cars nowadays have child-protected rear door locks. They lock rear doors in a way that they could be opened only from the outside. Gl-450 does not seem to have one. Unless I am missing something it appears to be very strange for the car that claims to be kid-friendly.
I could not find where it locks in the manual too. I called my dealer and he said that GL-450 does not have this feature. I am still thinking that he may be missing something too. It is hard to imagine that MB missed to implement such an easy device.
It is different how MB designs for this feature. At first i was bummed it didn't exist but as i realized, in order to open a rear "locked" door, you would have to reach back and pull up the lever (to unlock the door), then pull the handle to open the door. (knock on wood) my kid has yet to figure this out. Besides, being in a child seat, it's pretty hard for them to reach back and be able to pull the lever up. He can pull the lever all he wants and the door will not open. With the auto-lock feature active, it's almost like having a child-lock active every time you drive off.

Now for the front doors, you can simply pull the lever to unlock and open them at the same time.

Maybe the MB engineers thought it would be a safety hazard to never be able to open the door if the standard child lock was engaged.

that's my .02
Old 01-28-2009, 09:22 PM

GL 450
I understand your explanation.
Yet, locking back doors from the front requires your presence in your the driver seat.
What if in the interim of your getting in the driver-seat after securing child in the car-seat child manages to open the door. This is not a theoretical exercise. My wife goes through this ordeal daily.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:30 PM

GL 450
Thank you very much guys for your explanations. I never expected my kid to be so swift in opening the door before my wife gets in her driving seat. She literally has to ask other kids to hold his hands before she locks doors from the front button. Real life, real story. Thanks again for your time.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:49 PM

2015 GL550, 2019 GLC350e
Yet, locking back doors from the front requires your presence in your the driver seat.
What if in the interim of your getting in the driver-seat after securing child in the car-seat child manages to open the door. This is not a theoretical exercise. My wife goes through this ordeal daily.
I guess your wife will have to push down the lock lever before closing the door. Not ideal but I that's what we have on the GL.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:18 PM

GL 450
Thanks for your help.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:28 PM

Put the kid in, lock it via fob then get in the front.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
you lock the door with the button on the front door. Note there is no button on the back. Seems simple enough, but nobody could figure it out so apparently there is a switch somewhere for '09. There is an online manual stickied at the top of this forum. It should be in there.

Yes the 09's do have the feature now. Bummer they didn't do it earlier.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:06 AM

GL 450
Yep, sad but true. '07 and '08 do not have child protected rear door locks. Too simple a device to be considered by MB.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
I feel your pain, as I'm sure do others here with toddlers.

My 2005 Audi not only had the child lock feature, but it was electrically operated from the driver's door - very handy when trapped adults start squawking. That was really the ideal solution.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:19 PM

GL450
I asked about this on my ML a couple of years ago. I was told that it is a safety issue - MB didn't do it because in the event of an accident the rear seat passengers could not exit the vehicle if it was an emergency and the driver was incapacitated.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by KristenGood
I asked about this on my ML a couple of years ago. I was told that it is a safety issue - MB didn't do it because in the event of an accident the rear seat passengers could not exit the vehicle if it was an emergency and the driver was incapacitated.
Which is what I was told but now, in hind sight, seems like a bunch of BS since they are offering it on 09 models.