GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Engine lost power and steering locked during turn

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gl420
Exclamation Engine lost power and steering locked during turn

I have a GL420 CDI (bought new; 20months old, 20k miles; no off-road use; typical mixture of town and freeway driving). I was driving on a country lane at around 30mph. On reducing speed to about 20 mph and turning on a tight bend the steering suddenly locked and the engine cut-out. I managed to bring the car to a halt. Engaging park, I was easily able to restart the car and drive home normally (about 5 miles).

Has anyone experienced this? What could the cause be?

Fortunately there were no other cars around at the time otherwise there might have been a serious collision.

MB accepted that the car should be recovered to the dealership rather than be driven there by me. The dealership has not found any fault yet.

(For your information here are the other issues I have had with the car, some of which I think other owners have mentioned on this forum.:
1) Intermittent 'oil level too high' warning. Incidence reduced after software upgrade but it still happens sometimes, usually after driving for some time at over 60mph
2) 'top up coolant' warning. Cured after software upgrade
3) Urgent safety recall P117- to replace crankshaft sensor which, MB quote, ‘an electrical discontinuity in the crankshaft sensor could occur under unfavorable circumstances. If this problem occurred, the engine would loose power. It could also be no longer possible to start your vehicle.’. Work completed in December 2008
4) Auto gearbox control unit problem in January 2009. Symptom was the gearbox stuck in D2. Fixed when gear box control unit replaced.)
Old 02-11-2009, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by driver2000
I have a GL420 CDI (bought new; 20months old, 20k miles; no off-road use; typical mixture of town and freeway driving).
Sadly, the majority of us on these forums are unfamiliar with the 420 engine as we cannot get it in the U.S. That said, there are quite a number of non-US members as well, but I haven't seen a lot who have the 420.

I've never heard of this issue with the 320, either CDI or BlueTec.

STP
Old 02-11-2009, 01:36 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Sounds to me like you hit the key with your knee, turning the engine off, and locking the column. I have also coasted the GL down a hill without power, and the steering becomes very heavy.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:42 PM
orn

2007 GL450 PE
Yes, this has happened to my GL450. Check out this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ddle-road.html

Orn
Old 02-11-2009, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Happened to me before on my W211 AMG and others as well. I was slowing down and just beginning a right turn into a parking lot and it just dies. There were no codes but the dealer wanted to flush the fuel system. But since it didn't sputter, I didn't do it. It had to be a one time ECU crash because it never happened again. It's not very confidence inspiring but I did forget about it after a while.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:35 AM

gl420
Hi all

Thanks for the replies. It is a bit disconcerting that a number of drivers have had similar experiences. I get the impression that the crankshaft sensor recall was for diesels only, yet the problem seems to have also occurred on the petrol models. Maybe it is an ECU crash. Regarding knocking the key - it was still in position 2 when the engine cut-out.

The car is still at the dealership. So far they haven't found anything; the ECU already had the latest software upgrades. They've done a road test with diagnostics and haven’t found anything. I put it to them that the crankshaft sensor might still be faulty but their view is that the crankshaft sensor problem not only cuts out the engine but prevents the car from being started. Right now I don’t accept that view as the recall letter makes it clear that you might be able to start the engine.

I'll keep you posted on developments. It turns out there is a UK MB club website (remarkably similar in look and feel to this one). I will post my query to the UK club site today.

By the way, apart from this problem I think the GL is a great car. Just for

for 7 seat comfort alone it trounces the Audi Q7, Volvo XC90. I’ve driven a GMC Yukon and although it has a lot more room, the GL has a far better ride and handling. I haven't checked out the Land Rover discovery (7 seat option) but I prefer the look of the GL.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:08 AM

gl420
Smile

Hi all,

MB did several long distance (20miles) road tests with diagnostics and found nothing wrong. For my peace of mind they replaced the crankshaft sensor (already been replaced because of the recall), although they didn't think that was the problem they did acknowledge that even replacement components could be faulty and that the symptoms were identical to that described in the recall letter from MB.

I've driven the car for the past week including freeway driving. Everything is fine. Interestingly the mpg on the freeway driving has improved to 29mpg (UK) with average driving conditions (speed < 80 mph).

Thanks for your suggestions and comments.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've driven the car for the past week including freeway driving. Everything is fine. Interestingly the mpg on the freeway driving has improved to 29mpg (UK) with average driving conditions (speed < 80 mph).
This is a little but I do like the idea of improving gas mileage by increasing the size of a gallon of gas.

Have you taken the GL to Cornwall? I just can't imagine it being able to pass any oncoming traffic on those roads.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:48 AM

gl420
Not wanting to continue being but I thought I share my views. I've not driven to Cornwall, but where I live there are many country roads that are 7' wide so it's a tight squeeze. However I'm quite happy with the GL's size as I think that it isn't as large as some auto press commentators would have us believe. For instance it is marginally less wide and less long than the old Chrysler Grand voyager (USA Town and Country Van), 5cms less wide than an Audi Q7, 1cmm less wide than a BMW 7 series. Although these are all big cars, it seems that the press are want to criticize the size of the GL but happy to be silent on size of the other cars. But then that's the press for you!

I really wanted an MPV, but none of the MPVs were really designed to take 6 x 6' adults, a dog and a wheelchair - they either were deficient in leg room or the seat position meant your knees where near your chest. The GL can take 6 adults, a dog and a (collapsible) wheel chair in comfort on long journeys, and its off-road ability means that it makes easy work of the pot holes on many of our country roads, and I don't have to worry about driving on soft verges when trying to get past other cars. In short I’m really pleased with it.

On fuel consumption, I’m getting a long term average 20.1mpg (average speed 22 mph, last 1200 miles) - this is mainly local driving.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

... (A)nd its off-road ability means that it makes easy work of the pot holes on many of our country roads, and I don't have to worry about driving on soft verges when trying to get past other cars.
A huge advantage for going with a 4wd versus a people mover, IMHO.

Last time we were in Cornwall/Plymouth, we hired a Renault people mover. It was by far the worst engineered and most poorly thought out vehicle I'd ever been in!

Sorry, completely again.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:42 AM

gl420
Unfortunately the problem (engine cut out leading to loss of power steering and reduced braking) has reoccurred.

This time my wife was driving. The engine cut out on a bend and she was unable to turn the steering wheel sufficiently. There was oncoming traffic who fortunately reacted in time and we all narrowly avoided a head-on collision. Of course without engine power the brakes are not as effective. We were then able to restart the car and drive as if nothing had happened to the engine.

The car is back into the dealership, who have carried out a test drive and run diagnostic checks. Given that I have driven around 2000 miles without any issues since the last problem I wasn't surprised when their test drive didn't reveal anything. And as last time the diagnostic checks didn't reveal anything either (so far).
Since the last time we had another problem with the auto gearbox (a message appeared saying to go directly to the garage). This was eventually traced to a faulty battery. It turns out that the car has two batteries, and the second battery was showing quite low voltage. This may or may not have had a bearing on the engine cut out problem. They replaced the battery.

The issue happening once can but put down to chance, possibly. But twice then I'm afraid I'm beginning to conclude that there could be a very serious potentially lethal defect with the car. Not surprisingly we don't want to drive the car until the problem is resolved.

The car is at the dealership and I will keep you all posted.

(By the way, Mobilo is of no use in these circumstances: they made it clear that if they find that the car can be restarted and driven when they arrive to recover the vehicle then you pay for the call out, and full costs of the recovery if you want it recovered. Last time I had to argue with them to get the car recovered and they accepted eventually but only because they accepted that the brakes could be faulty. This time I didn't bother and drove carefully to the dealer. Sadly this service is not as good as I have come to expect from other manufactures.)

If anyone has any suggestions then they will be gratefully received.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If anyone has any suggestions then they will be gratefully received.
The BMW X5 xxDrive35d M Sport?
Old 05-13-2009, 02:28 AM

gl420
Update.

The dealer has decided to open a caase with MB. One thought they have is that the microchip in the key fob may be faulty. In the meantime I have a courtesy MB car (clk320)

Re BMW, I looked at it: two problems: it is not an off-roader and the 3rd row of seats are for young children.

I will keep you posted on developments.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Update.

The dealer has decided to open a caase with MB. One thought they have is that the microchip in the key fob may be faulty. In the meantime I have a courtesy MB car (clk320)

Re BMW, I looked at it: two problems: it is not an off-roader and the 3rd row of seats are for young children.

I will keep you posted on developments.
I have a feeling they they are on the right track. It can also happen if a knee bumps the key fob. Was it a hard right bend in the road? Does your knee ride close to the key fob when driving?

When your knee hits the key fob, it can cause the car to lose contact with the ignition source. The car is reacting as if you are removing the key. It can also happen if you have too may other keys on your key ring. The weight of the keys pulling on the key can disconnect it from the ignition.

Last edited by BlownV8; 05-13-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
You didn't say if you have Keyless Go or not. If yes, then I suppose if the car 'thinks' the key is gone, it could 'lock up' but normally, one could walk away [with key in pocket] from one of these with the car running and the car can be driven off just fine! Once the button is pushed to turn the car off though, it WILL NOT start again.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:25 AM

gl420
Thanks for the comments. In answer to the questions:

1) The first time it happened, the car was slowing down on a left hand bend. The second time: the car was slowing down on a right hand bend. Both times speed was about 25mph->30mph.

2) The steering did not lock but became very difficult to turn. On both occasions we were able to turn the steering wheel but with great difficulty.

3) It is not keyless go. The ignition key is in the On position when the car lost power.

We use the standard MB key fob. My knee (and my wife's knee) it is too far away for the key fob to be accidently touched nevermind knocked.

Completely separately, we have also noticed a screech from the front nearside when braking and cornering on a bend with speed reducing from say 30mph to stop. The noise is not quite like a typical brake screech noise. It stops when the brakes are released (e.g during the turn). It only ever happens on a left hand turn. It started intermittently almost from new. I put it down to brake screech, but recently it had been happening more often and more noticeable. I don’t know if it is related but I’ve mentioned it to the dealer.

Since the car went in for the crankshaft sensor recall (Dec 2008), this problem has occurred twice, and we have several other seemingly unrelated transmission related problems requiring the car to go to the dealer.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:31 PM

2002 BMW 330i, and GL 450
Thanks for the comments. In answer to the questions:

1) The first time it happened, the car was slowing down on a left hand bend. The second time: the car was slowing down on a right hand bend. Both times speed was about 25mph->30mph.

2) The steering did not lock but became very difficult to turn. On both occasions we were able to turn the steering wheel but with great difficulty.

3) It is not keyless go. The ignition key is in the On position when the car lost power.

We use the standard MB key fob. My knee (and my wife's knee) it is too far away for the key fob to be accidently touched nevermind knocked.

Completely separately, we have also noticed a screech from the front nearside when braking and cornering on a bend with speed reducing from say 30mph to stop. The noise is not quite like a typical brake screech noise. It stops when the brakes are released (e.g during the turn). It only ever happens on a left hand turn. It started intermittently almost from new. I put it down to brake screech, but recently it had been happening more often and more noticeable. I don’t know if it is related but I’ve mentioned it to the dealer.

Since the car went in for the crankshaft sensor recall (Dec 2008), this problem has occurred twice, and we have several other seemingly unrelated transmission related problems requiring the car to go to the dealer.

I'll keep you posted.
The same thing you decribed happened to my wife today. She turned into a driveway, the steering wheel locked and the engined died. This is the third time it has happened to her in less than two years. I took it to the dealer when it first happened and they gave me the "we can't replicate the problem" rant. Pretty frustrating. I am just glad is leased, I'll just walk away at the end of the term. I was hoping to keep it, but not if this keeps happening.