GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

08 GL-450 Wireless Headphones for DVD???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
08 GL-450 Wireless Headphones for DVD???

Hi everyone, although my car is still in the shop - I was wondering if anyone knew if there were wireless headphones available for the 08 version of the DVD player?? I have the other plug in headphones, which are okay, but I was curious if there is a wireless version available?? Is there any upgrade to make this system wireless???

I would just like to see me kids stop ripping the headphones out of the jack when they forget they are wearing them and go to get out of the car!!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
Originally Posted by KristenGood
Hi everyone, although my car is still in the shop - I was wondering if anyone knew if there were wireless headphones available for the 08 version of the DVD player?? I have the other plug in headphones, which are okay, but I was curious if there is a wireless version available?? Is there any upgrade to make this system wireless???

I would just like to see me kids stop ripping the headphones out of the jack when they forget they are wearing them and go to get out of the car!!
Kirsten I had that same problem with my 08, it drove me nuts! I searched high and low and could not find a solution. It is really nice having wireless in the 09, but it only accomidates 2 headsets and I have 3 kids, so I still have one headset plugged in, major pain!!!!
Old 02-22-2009, 01:30 PM

2009 GL450, 06 Triumph Speed Triple, 07 Triumph Speedmaster
Bluetooth Headsets?

Hi Kristen,

There may be some other ways to go about this but I thought this solution might answer your wireless question.

You can go with a bluetooth headset like this one (see pic 1):
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DR-BT22-S...=pd_sim_cps_92

And pair it to a transmitter like this (see pic 2):
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bluetooth...f=pd_sim_cps_4

There are many other brands to choose from, but I just did a quick search.

Downside, you need to bring them in the house to charge them up (guess not too much more os a hassle than changing batteries). Upside no wires.

You can get 2 of each so person/kid can listen to a different source if they choose to.

Good luck!
Attached Images   

Last edited by Josey92; 02-22-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 02-22-2009, 05:43 PM

Ive done this conversion ... I service an MB dealer locally ..

You can add a wireless system to the car .. requires a hardwire mod to the DVD player under the rear seat or at the radio.

Pretty simple really .. hardest part - adding the transmitter to the headliner .

Find a local shop that has exp. on these cars ..
Old 02-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by techguy
Ive done this conversion ... I service an MB dealer locally ..

You can add a wireless system to the car .. requires a hardwire mod to the DVD player under the rear seat or at the radio.

Pretty simple really .. hardest part - adding the transmitter to the headliner .

Find a local shop that has exp. on these cars ..
What technology do you use - bluetooth, infrared? Also, what is the approximate cost? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:44 PM

I use a simple single channel IR system from "Unwired Technologies"

Lets you add 4 sets of headphones if need be - and works well..
Old 02-23-2009, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
Originally Posted by Josey92
Hi Kristen,

There may be some other ways to go about this but I thought this solution might answer your wireless question.

Downside, you need to bring them in the house to charge them up (guess not too much more os a hassle than changing batteries). Upside no wires.

You can get 2 of each so person/kid can listen to a different source if they choose to.

Good luck!

I was looking high and low for something like this! It seemed so simple, I thought for sure someone had to of invented it! Heck, I thought about inventing it, LOL! That looks like an affordable solution
Old 02-23-2009, 12:59 PM

2009 GL450, 06 Triumph Speed Triple, 07 Triumph Speedmaster
Originally Posted by MomsBenz
I was looking high and low for something like this! It seemed so simple, I thought for sure someone had to of invented it! Heck, I thought about inventing it, LOL! That looks like an affordable solution

It seems the least invasive also. I had a wireless IR system put into my Honda Pilot and it was a pain to get the signal clear most of the time so the kids ended up rarely using them. The install involved taking half the passenger-side panels off just to get it wired to the 2nd row so the signal was close to the kids. Unfortutely, there was no headphone jack in my aftermarket system so it had to be done this way.

Since there are headphone jacks on most GLs with RSE, I thought this might be the ticket. Lucky for me my 09 came with the wireless headsets already.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by Josey92
Hi Kristen,

Good luck!
This seems like a great way to turn the '07-'08 GL RSE into a wireless system, but the product manual states on page 17 that "This unit cannot be connected to multiple devices at the same time." So this rules out, for example, purchasing one transmitter along with 3 headsets. It won't work -- you'd need a separate transmitter for each headset, which doesn't seem practical.

Interestingly, the manual says "some devices can be connected to multiple devices at the same time" -- but apparently not this one. I have searched but have been unable to find a transmitter like this that could pair with 3 headsets simultaneously. If anyone can find one, please let me know.

Last edited by Comfy_Couch; 02-26-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:44 PM

2004 E55 AMG
I have one from my 08 GL450, with 2 remotes.

OEM, MB part # A 212 870 33 89

Email if your interested: akoppelman@yahoo.com
Old 05-06-2010, 09:54 PM

2007 GL 450
Wireless Headphones

Hello, does anyone know of an option to get headphones for an 07 GL 450 without going to the dealer? They wanted $200 for each of infarad system. I saw some on EBAY for $30 and not sure if they would be compatible.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:05 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by sti05ak
I have one from my 08 GL450, with 2 remotes.

OEM, MB part # A 212 870 33 89

Email if your interested: akoppelman@yahoo.com
Originally Posted by fobeidat
Hello, does anyone know of an option to get headphones for an 07 GL 450 without going to the dealer? They wanted $200 for each of infarad system. I saw some on EBAY for $30 and not sure if they would be compatible.

^^^^^
Old 10-22-2010, 12:00 AM

2005 S500 4-matic & 2008 GL320 CDI
Not sure if someone still looking into this. I am currently installing aftermarket rear entertainment system in my 2008 GL320.
Here is the list of equipment I've purchased:
1. 2 Aluratek Cinepal APMP100F Personal Media Players from Amazon - $129.00 each (free shipping)

http://www.amazon.com/Aluratek-Cinep...7719176&sr=8-4

2. 2 universal headrest mounts (originally designed for IPad) - $18.00 each + S&H
3. 2x16GB SDHC cards Class 10 (Aluratek doesn't have DVD or hard drives but can play digital files from SD card or Flash drive) - $29.00 each + S&H.
4. 2 dual channel wireless headphones - $35.00 (Ebay)
5. 1 Dual channel IR wireless transmitter (from Ebay seller located in Hong Kong) - $30.00 including S&H
6. 5v car power adapter and 2 USB power wires - $6.00.

The total cost of this incredible system came up about $450.00.
The beauty of the Aluratek player that it can play any Video format currently available for download from internet. The only downside is you can't rent DVD from local store and play it right away.

Looking forward to have quiet audience (my kids) during long trips.
Will post pictures upon completion.