GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

First Oil Change for 09 GL320BTC - by dealer or DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 GL320 BTC; 07 BMW 335i
First Oil Change for 09 GL320BTC - by dealer or DIY

Can anyone post a detailed write-up for the DIY? :-)
If I bring the truck to the dealer, how much should it cost?
Old 01-08-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Need to get answers to a couple of questions first:
1) Do you regularly change the oil yourself on any of your other rigs?
2) How 'comfortable' are you in doing these changes?
3) What oil and filter change tools (strap wrench, oil extractor etc) do you already have?
4) Do you have a good source for the oil and filter you will need - EXACTLY the right oil per M-B spec, etc?
5) What about Blutec fluid (urea solution at the correct concentration and purity). Do you have or can you get it (see a VW dealer). And do you feel comfortable rigging a long funnel to get the required amount of it into the Blutec tank? Because you WILL have to replenish that fluid.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the quick response, Fourdiesel!
The answers ,

1) Do you regularly change the oil yourself on any of your other rigs?

- I've been doing my own oil change on other cars for years, but this is our first Mercedes, you know... I heard there was sth called "Star machine"...

2) How 'comfortable' are you in doing these changes?

- I enjoy getting things done by myself

3) What oil and filter change tools (strap wrench, oil extractor etc) do you already have?

- I have all the tools ready including the extractor

4) Do you have a good source for the oil and filter you will need - EXACTLY the right oil per M-B spec, etc?

- Since this is 1st time for the MB Oil change, no, I don't have them yet at this point.

5) What about Blutec fluid (urea solution at the correct concentration and purity). Do you have or can you get it (see a VW dealer). And do you feel comfortable rigging a long funnel to get the required amount of it into the Blutec tank? Because you WILL have to replenish that fluid.

- I did a little research on the Adblue. Yes I should be able to get them from VW dealer(I also have a VW Passat 2.0T) and I like DIY the urea as well.

Last edited by rayleiwu; 01-08-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:07 PM

CLS55 plus a few Ducati's
What about the warranty. I am sure if you had a problem later they would blame your oil changes! Just sayin .......
Old 01-08-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by DucatiNut
What about the warranty. I am sure if you had a problem later they would blame your oil changes! Just sayin .......
For other cars I owned, people always suggested that "keep all your receipts and then you should have no problem with the warranty...". Does this apply to M-B?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by rayleiwu
Can anyone post a detailed write-up for the DIY? :-)
If I bring the truck to the dealer, how much should it cost?
I just paid $278. That did not include adblue.

For that, I got:

-Engine A Service ???
-TS Filter
-Ring ??
-Washer Fluid
-Diesel fuel conditioner
-10 Quarts of Mobile 1
-A major scratch that ran the length of my liftgate from it being opened into something
-Scratches all over my black paint because it was covered with salt when I took it in, I asked them not to wash it, they did anyway and then dryed it off with a towel while it was still half covered with salt. Nice.
-Bent the rotor shield on the inside of one of the rotors by dropping the wheel on the rotor once they had the lugs off so that the shield made a grinding sound against the rotor.

So yeah, as long as it is pratical and you have the time, you should do it yourself.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:06 PM

Keep good records and receipts for the oil and filters and warranty questions - if any - should be easily handled. I sounds to me like you are prepared to DIY.
Some don't like the extractor method of removing the oil because they claim the 'honeycomb' pattern in the bottom of the pan prevents complete removal of the old oil but I fail to see the difference between that and gravity draining where the honeycomb still retains all the oil it would using the extractor.
Extractor is a LOT less trouble since the lower engine cover doesn't have to come off and the car doesn't have to go up in the air to do that.
You may even be able to sweet talk your dealer into showing you how to reset the maintenance computer (That procedure seems to be different for each of the models and years M-B produces). Or someone here may come up with the procedure for your rig.

You WILL need 9 quarts (or a little less) for the oil and filter change. Any dealer who charges for 10 qts is cheating! My last oil change I used 9 qts and it was a bit too full.
The first oil change I did, I didn't realize I needed 9 qts and only bought a case (6) - whoops; then when I want back to get more from the Mobil jobber locally, they had to order it in - took 2 weeks!

Filters are readily available on line - shop around for the best price and delivery. Oil can be a little more difficult. Chevron - Mobil jobbers nationwide can usually get it for you. I'm not sure if your Bluetec takes the same oil the '08 CDI does but, in any event, double check to make sure the oil you get meets the M-B spec your car requires.

You'll do fine

Last edited by Fourdiesel; 01-10-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
Keep good records and receipts for the oil and filters and warranty questions - if any - should be easily handled. I sounds to me like you are prepared to DIY.
Some don't like the extractor method of removing the oil because they claim the 'honeycomb' pattern in the bottom of the pan prevents complete removal of the old oil but I fail to see the difference between that and gravity draining where the honeycomb still retains all the oil it would using the extractor.
Extractor is a LOT less trouble since the lower engine cover doesn't have to come off and the car doesn't have to go up in the air to do that.
You may even be able to sweet talk your dealer into showing you how to reset the maintenance computer (That procedure seems to be different for each of the models and years M-B produces). Or someone here may come up with the procedure for your rig.

You WILL need 9 quarts (or a little less) for the oil and filter change. Any dealer who charges for 10 qts is cheating! My last oil change I used 9 qts and it was a bit too full.
The first oil change I did, I didn't realize I needed 9 qts and only bought a case (6) - whoops; then when I want back to get more from the Mobil jobber locally, they had to order it in - took 2 weeks!

Filters are readily available on line - shop around for the best price and delivery. Oil can be a little more difficult. Chevron - Mobil jobbers nationwide can usually get it for you. I'm not sure if your Bluetec takes the same oil the '08 CDI does but, in any event, double check to make sure the oil you get meets the M-B spec your car requires.

You'll do fine
Thanks Fourdiesel! I'll post a write-up for 09 BTC oil & adblue change if no one has yet posted a write-up by the time I'm done with the DIY :-). It seems there is NO difference for a M-B . Two items need to figure out then I should be good to go: 1) reset the reminder 2) VW Adblue on a M-B
Old 01-11-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by rayleiwu
Thanks Fourdiesel! I'll post a write-up for 09 BTC oil & adblue change if no one has yet posted a write-up by the time I'm done with the DIY :-). It seems there is NO difference for a M-B . Two items need to figure out then I should be good to go: 1) reset the reminder 2) VW Adblue on a M-B
One more thing I forgot to mention - some of your other posts indicate you have about 3000 mi on your Blutec. Do a search for posts by DRIVBIWIRE for excellent write ups on the technical issues and reasons for NOT changing your oil before the 10K factory recommendation. He has a lot of experience and credibility behind his recommendations.