Importing a GL or Ml from the US

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S600
Importing a GL or Ml from the US

Hello
i am new to to the forum and i would like to ask a few questions before i go ahead and buy my SUV for the USA on Ebay,to be imported to the Czech Republic , hoping that i will find someone to answer my questions .
Since both Ml and Gl models are US made, and they come with only miles markers not KM , is that a problem in the EU ? Or would i need to change the cluster to KM ?
I am thinking about adding a LPG tank to my SUV, is that a problem ? or would either of the two models run on a ethanol if i chose to less for the gasoline model ?
Are all the Benz SUV'S US made? or do they make them in Germany too ?

too many questions but i hope someone will find the time to answer

thanks
Old 07-05-2010, 05:36 PM

2010 GL 350 Bluetec
I seem to remember signing something that would limit my ability to export the vehicle, (either the ML or GL). Before you get too far along in the transaction you might want to double check whether or not the vehicle can be legally exported by an individual and not Mercedes Benz.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:43 PM

gl 350
My dealer made me sign an agreement not to import the GL for 12 months, but he said he could not enforce it if I were to import it.

As the MPH and KM, the speedometer can display both.

My GL 350 was made in the USA.

I can't answer the rest of the questions.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by crazygordon
My dealer made me sign an agreement not to import the GL for 12 months, but he said he could not enforce it if I were to import it.

As the MPH and KM, the speedometer can display both.

My GL 350 was made in the USA.

I can't answer the rest of the questions.
Does the speedo display both? I thought it only displayed MPH and you could get a KMH digital readout only? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:24 AM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
All the SUVs are made in the US. Only the G55 is made in Germany. 99% sure.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Originally Posted by way2evil
I remembered seeing another factory for SUVs and found GLs are also made in Mexico for Latin America and Asia. I assume this is a correct entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_Mexico
Old 07-06-2010, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by way2evil
All G-wagens are made in Europe, IIRC Austria. None are made in USA.

There are no Mercedes cars or SUVs manufactured in Mexico.
http://www.daimler.com/company/daiml...entral-america

Last edited by lkchris; 07-06-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:23 PM

008 GL320 CDI
US dealers want you to sign an agreement that you will not export, sometimes for 12, sometimes for 24 months. This is because a new Mercedes, any model, is cheaper in the US, sometimes significantly so, than just about anywhere else. Depending on how the Euro stands, definitely less than in the EU. A LOT less than in China! I talked to an MB salesman who told me that he had a couple of Chinese guys that he was real happy with, cause they were buying six, seven cars a year through him. He thought they were all for their families/businesses in the US, until he found out through Mercedes HQ that they had been exporting to China (pesky VIN numbers). Apparently, the US dealership has to pay a fine when this happens, and of course can't sell that customer any more cars. Oh well...

Anyway, long as your car is paid in full, the agreement with the dealership to not export is not binding on you. However, if you do export prior to what you "agreed" to, you will find that Mercedes Benz in your destination country will no longer consider their warranty binding either...

Also, consider the cost of importing to your destination country. I do not know the rules in the Czech Republic, but in Germany for example, I have to have been owner of the vehicle for at least six months before I can import the vehicle duty- and VAT-free as "personal property" (in which case I cannot sell the car for at least a year). Otherwise, duty is around 10% and VAT around 19% = 29%!!! of the customs-assessed value (not your invoice!).

I've wondered about the instrument cluster as well. I think I can set my display language to German and digital display to kmh, but the tachometer shows mph only. I actually like the one that shows both better, and at least in Germany, their Technical Inspection Bureau (TUV) would require you to install that (you might even not be able to drive it until you do, not sure).

Lots to consider. Best of luck!
Old 07-07-2010, 05:47 PM

Sonderklasse
Dealers make you sign agreement not to export when you buy a brand new MB but most MB dealers (unlike Audi dealers) close an eye on this so long as they still sell the car and it's not obvious that you were exporting the car e.g. no ID to provide, leaves dealer on MSO, and wants it shipped straight to port or to states like OR. It is hard to enforce that agreement but as mentioned that's why MB fines the dealers if it is found and proven that a substantial number of cars a dealer sells is being exported.

Having said all the above, for the OP, it is not difficult to purchase a brand new MB for export. There are ways around it, e.g. through agents and companies willing to help you for a small fee. You can still buy the car on MSO, untitled and without paying taxes to any states.

If it is a pre-owned then any MB dealer is free to export.

Warranty wise, once the car is in the host country, it follows the warranty guidelines of that country. Though there are countries where MB dealers won't service "grey imports," i.e. those that were not imported through official channels but this is not common so long as you can prove you were the original owner throughout.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 Tesla M3SR+, 2017 GLS550, 2011 E350 Bluetec, 2007 GL450 (GONE), 2003 E500 (GONE)
You can easily export ML/GL from the US especially if these cars are used and bought from e-bay. Depending on car's location shipping it to Europe shouldn't exceed $2000. Usually people ship them to Kotka, Finland and then drive them to the final destination. You need to check with authorities and figure out how much of duty tax you'd have to pay before you can register the car in Czech republic. Some countries require that the car is 3 years old from the production date before you can bring it in (otherwise duty tax is VERY high). Usually duty tax is calculated based on the engine cubic centimeters. If you get GL450 it wlll be significantly cheaper to bring in than GL550.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:16 PM

K3 05 E55 sold, 09 GL550
I thought all AMG cars made in Germany . which include ML63 AMG right ?
Old 07-28-2010, 06:14 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
some answers

Originally Posted by foamtech11
Hello
i am new to to the forum and i would like to ask a few questions before i go ahead and buy my SUV for the USA on Ebay,to be imported to the Czech Republic , hoping that i will find someone to answer my questions .
Since both Ml and Gl models are US made, and they come with only miles markers not KM , is that a problem in the EU ? Or would i need to change the cluster to KM ?
I am thinking about adding a LPG tank to my SUV, is that a problem ? or would either of the two models run on a ethanol if i chose to less for the gasoline model ?
Are all the Benz SUV'S US made? or do they make them in Germany too ?

too many questions but i hope someone will find the time to answer

thanks
Further to what others have mentioned:
1) The US GL350 CDI is not suitable for bad fuel countries just in case your diesel is not ultra low sulpher diesel. Additionally it is a Bluetec unit requiring adblue additive every x amount of miles.
2) All US GLs except the GL550 don't have the 3 locking differentials which are standard on vehicles for most other countries. This is basically the off road performance package which is an option on EU MLs.
3) Airmatic is tuned differently. Much softer on US models than EU models. I believe they tuned it to suit US roads more. This I've experienced first hand having owned a US spec GL450 for about a year and driven the EU GL too.
4) The US radio gets only odd numbered radio stations. e.g. 88.1, 88.3 but not even like 88.2, 88.4 etc.
5) The US instrument cluster (not the digital reading) is in MPH only.
6) LPG tank would require a serious talk with a good MB service rep first but I've not heard of it done to a GL before.
7) ML, GL and R are made in the US only. G-wagen in Austria only. GLK in Germany.

I'm sure there are a few other differences between US and EU (Rest of World) but that's what I can remember right now.