GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Service from different Dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL450(Play), 2008 Chevy Sliverado(Work)
Service from different Dealer

How do most service departments treat you if you purchase your GL from another dealer but take it to them? Example purchase new from a dealer farther away and take it to a dealer closer for service.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:56 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
14 GL 350, 23Chevy Bolt EV and 22 EUV
In my experience, the service and coverage does not make any difference. However, the ability to obtain a free loaner car while your vehicle is being repaired is only at the dealership you purchased the car. That can be a major incentive to return to your original location.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by captivabenz
In my experience, the service and coverage does not make any difference. However, the ability to obtain a free loaner car while your vehicle is being repaired is only at the dealership you purchased the car. That can be a major incentive to return to your original location.
not necessarily

I bought my S55 at a BMW dealer and have been able to get a free "loaner" from the MB dealer near my work every time i've been in. It's not an actual loaner, it's from Enterprise (on-site) and I get 24 hours paid rent through the MB dealer's voucher system. It's easy, convenient, and free (for 24 hours).

The only drawback is having to drive a tiny, weak C300 after having arrived in my Titanic-sized rocket sled
Old 11-05-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Where I am, it makes absolutely no difference. The service advisors have never asked me where I bought my GL and I purchased out of state. I've used two local dealers and had the same experience. All they ask for is the VIN. The loaner car is just based on scheduling your work about a week or two out so that there is availability. My SAs are commissioned and they want my business, that's all they care about. Further, they think most of the sales guys are flakes. Just my experience though.

Btw, when I was shopping for my GL one of the local sales guys told me that I wouldn't get the same treatment in the service department if I didn't buy it from their dealership. When I scheduled my first service appointment I asked the service advisor if that was accurate and he told me that the sales guys will tell you anything to get a sale.

Last edited by 43221B; 11-05-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by i_am_amused
I bought my S55 at a BMW dealer and have been able to get a free "loaner" from the MB dealer near my work every time i've been in. It's not an actual loaner, it's from Enterprise (on-site) and I get 24 hours paid rent through the MB dealer's voucher system. It's easy, convenient, and free (for 24 hours).
+1

These days, the service department is probably taking in more money than the sales department. They should be grateful to service your vehicle, even under warranty (the factory pays them for that), but I would say get to know your SA and ask nicely once they see you're going to stick with them. And in the end, it's a free car to use, so I don't complain if I get a C300 or a Corolla, I'm glad to have something to use while my truck's being serviced!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:31 PM

2007 GL450 2005 C55 2002 C32 sold 2001 ML320 sold
In Chicago there is no difference in the treatment i have had at the 3 dealerships i go to from the SA's perspective and i always get a mercedes loaner. (last one i got was a new E class). All 3 had excellent service and the SA's explained what was done per the service sheets.

There is a BIG difference in the actual service done however. At one dealer they plain lied about doing an air filter inspection, and half-assed an oil change with a warning after 1 week. Needless to say i never used this dealership again.

Sales teams..they will say almost anything to get the sale done, although i think this is a common car sales trait for most car salespeople.

I now do my own services thanks to people on these boards who have done these tasks, as i do not trust the dealerships in my area with regular maintenance.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
+1

These days, the service department is probably taking in more money than the sales department. They should be grateful to service your vehicle, even under warranty (the factory pays them for that), but I would say get to know your SA and ask nicely once they see you're going to stick with them. And in the end, it's a free car to use, so I don't complain if I get a C300 or a Corolla, I'm glad to have something to use while my truck's being serviced!
amen to that

i'll rag on the lowly C300 loaner to my friends/family, but the SA thinks i love that car
Old 11-06-2010, 12:10 AM

2011 QX56 (formerly '11 GL350)
Originally Posted by deicer
How do most service departments treat you if you purchase your GL from another dealer but take it to them? Example purchase new from a dealer farther away and take it to a dealer closer for service.
We purchased our 2011 GL350 down in Los Angeles. We live about an hour and 1/2 away. We've been having some major issues with quite a few things and decided to go to the dealer that is only 20 minutes from us (they did not have a black '11 350 bluetec--we happened upon this one down in LA at a cheer competition and jumped on it.)

The new dealership has been WONDERFUL TO ME. I was just there today...The tech spent an hour with me going over my car, a test drive in it, etc. to show him the issues.

They also are having a loaner car waiting for me when I bring it back in next week to be fixed. I couldn't be happier. They seemed happy to get our business!

Tam