Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Talk me back, Audi Q7 TDI vs 2012 GL350

Hi everyone,

My Mercedes dealer and I have 'broken off negotiations' on a new 2012 GL350. They don't have it in stock so the motivation isn't as strong as I'd need to get the price I want (including value for my trade).

As I was contemplating my next move I looked into the other lane and saw a new Audi Q7. I have been researching over the past couple of days and will be going to see one in person this afternoon.

Based upon my on-line research it looks like a fully configured TDI (diesel) has about the same specifications as the GL350. The Q7 has a little more horsepower, torque is about equal, the GL350 has a little more headroom, legroom, shoulder room, but not significant (<10%).

Here's what I see as equals - using MB terms
  • Distronic
  • Parktronic
  • Blind Spot Assist
  • Rear backup camera
  • heated/ventilated seats (front and rear)
  • BiXenon adjusting headlights

Here's what I see as superior in the GL350
  • off road features (decent control, low gear, etc)
  • towing (7500 vs 6500 lbs)
  • cupholders
  • Rear seat motor controlled up/down
  • 12V/110V plugs
  • Maintenance every 12-14K miles vs 5K miles
  • 3rd row seating is roomier

Here's what I see as superior in the Q7
  • Comand (MMI) appears much better, using Google maps
  • Audio system (Bose is base, B&O as premiere)
  • Spare tire vs runflats
  • Separate climate controls for each person in rear seat
  • Panoramic Sunroof
  • Price. A fully configured GL350 is $10K more than a fully configured Q7 TDI

The net is at face value, it appears like the Q7 is a strong competitor. Has anyone had an experience with a newer model Q7?

Last edited by JimBarnhart; 12-09-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
Hi everyone,

My Mercedes dealer and I have 'broken off negotiations' on a new 2012 GL350. They don't have it in stock so the motivation isn't as strong as I'd need to get the price I want (including value for my trade).

As I was contemplating my next move I looked into the other lane and saw a new Audi Q7. I have been researching over the past couple of days and will be going to see one in person this afternoon.

Based upon my on-line research it looks like a fully configured TDI (diesel) has about the same specifications as the GL350. The Q7 has a little more horsepower, torque is about equal, the GL350 has a little more headroom, legroom, shoulder room, but not significant (<10%).

Here's what I see as equals - using MB terms
  • Distronic
  • Parktronic
  • Blind Spot Assist
  • Rear backup camera
  • heated/ventilated seats (front and rear)
  • BiXenon adjusting headlights

Here's what I see as superior in the GL350
  • off road features (decent control, low gear, etc)
  • towing (7500 vs 6500 lbs)
  • cupholders
  • Rear seat motor controlled up/down
  • 12V/110V plugs
  • Maintenance every 12-14K miles vs 5K miles
  • 3rd row seating is roomier

• Spare tire vs runflats
  • Panoramic Sunroof

The net is at face value, it appears like the Q7 is a strong competitor. Has anyone had an experience with a newer model Q7?
Never driven one but spent a while looking at the Q7 TDI. Loved it alot. We now own two Audis and I'm really taken by them. Audicare at time of purchase pays for all maintenance for the life of the warranty and is a bargain at about $1,000 (negotiable). Good luck with the choice. Drive the Q7 for sure; I believe it'll be more 'car-like' than the GL.
Bish
Old 12-09-2011, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
You've got a GL now, so you know what you're getting into for the most part. The resale on the GL350 will be great; not sure about the Q7. I agree with Bish - it's a crossover vs SUV decision more than anything.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:57 AM
DBV

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
We looked at both too - diesel versions and you nailed the pluses for each. In the end my wife still preferred the GL, because of the space and more room in the third row seating. Really is no comparison in the third row.

I would compare the Audi Q7 more to the BMW X5 or even Mercedes M, which we looked at too.

QUOTE=YYZ-E55;4953803]You've got a GL now, so you know what you're getting into for the most part. The resale on the GL350 will be great; not sure about the Q7. I agree with Bish - it's a crossover vs SUV decision more than anything.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-09-2011, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Nissan Altima 2.5S, 07 MB GL450
Why the downgrade in performance? Kidding. Diesels are great for gas mileage and towing if you ever need it.

It's a crossover "fake" SUV decision versus a real SUV that handles more like a small SUV/car. (Rather than handle like a big ole truck like the Caddy Escalade)
Old 12-09-2011, 01:00 PM

2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
Originally Posted by Innocent_Stud
It's a crossover "fake" SUV decision versus a real SUV that handles more like a small SUV/car. (Rather than handle like a big ole truck like the Caddy Escalade)
Uhh, what?

The chassis structure on the Q7 and GL is basically identical (unibody). Technically, they are both "crossovers".

The Escalade blows, btw. I had one.

- Mark
Old 12-09-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
06 CLS500, 07 GL450
  • Spare tire vs runflats
  • Panoramic Sunroof
My premier package with 20" rims GL has runflats and a spare tire. I am a true believer in runflats had a flat and drove right up to the wheel shop and had them patch and plug and drove off. The GL will probably have a better resale value and more reliable, after all it stands alone as a Mercedes its not a glorified volkswagen.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
E400 wagon, F-Pace 3.5, Yukon 2500*.0.
We just totalled our 2010 Q7 TDI after 2 years. It is an awesome suv. We towed with it and did lots of mountain driving. All good. If you will only be putting children in the 3rd row it is a better value than the GL IMO.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:28 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
I guess it is a bit of a toss-up. The Q7 looks like a jellybean or overinflated Ford Tarus to me. Also, the dealer pissed me off when I went to look at one, so that was that.

How far apart are you at MB? Why don't you just do a private sale on your current rig, and get the GL out of state?

The big question is why can't you wait a few more months for the all-new GL?
Old 12-09-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by mdadgar
Uhh, what?

The chassis structure on the Q7 and GL is basically identical (unibody). Technically, they are both "crossovers".

The Escalade blows, btw. I had one.

- Mark
We had Cherokees and Grand Cherokees in the 80's and 90's which were also unibody, and nobody called them "crossovers".

Crossover is a marketing term referring to car makers wanting to capture buyers who were getting out of full-sized, and granted, mostly body on frame SUVs into similar vehicles on car derived platforms in the early to mid 2000s. Neither the Q7 or GL are related to car platforms, neither is truly a "crossover" in the original intended meaning.

This term has now taken on a life of it's own to mean anything on a unibody platform to the uninformed, and, unfortunately most of the auto press.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:10 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Hey Jim - Sears or Feldmans? I got mine originally through Maplewood - they were the only one with a diesel.

I'm looking to move mine too. 4 years is a record for me in one car. Looking to downgrade to a BMW 5 series GT. Drove a couple last week and really fell in love with it. I like the oddness of it, and the backseat legroom - my kids are tall. We don't use the 3rd row much any more - I just need a hatch style so I can transport the dog once and awhile. We have my wifes X5 to tow if need be.

You nailed the comparison of the 2 vehicles - in the end the Audi to me isn't as sharp looking, and resale isn't as good. But at 10K less, maybe that doesn't matter. Good Luck!
Old 12-10-2011, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Brocktoon
We had Cherokees and Grand Cherokees in the 80's and 90's which were also unibody, and nobody called them "crossovers".

Crossover is a marketing term referring to car makers wanting to capture buyers who were getting out of full-sized, and granted, mostly body on frame SUVs into similar vehicles on car derived platforms in the early to mid 2000s. Neither the Q7 or GL are related to car platforms, neither is truly a "crossover" in the original intended meaning.

This term has now taken on a life of it's own to mean anything on a unibody platform to the uninformed, and, unfortunately most of the auto press.
I think you're over-thinking this pretty badly. There are really only two kinds of mass-market passenger vehicles these days, unibody (monocoque) and body-on-frame. We have the former. Large GM SUVs have the latter.

I don't disagree that what the industry is now calling "cross-overs" are for the most part just tall cars, but that doesn't tell the whole story either. For example, the Toyota Highlander is called a cross-over, but it's much more similar to a GL350 than a Forrester (which really is just a tall wagon).

Bottom line: both the GL350 and the Q7 are a lot closer structurally to a Highlander than to an Escalade.

- Mark

- Mark
Old 12-10-2011, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Thanks for all the advice. It was really helpful.

We went yesterday to an Audi dealer and spent some time with the Q7. I liked most everything about the vehicle. It drove sportier than the GL, the TDI still seems to be give it some pep and it cornered very nice. The electronics were much better than the current GL electronics. I do have to say there are a lot of dial type buttons. I would have thought they could do more with their puck. Here's an example. The heated seats have 6 settings. When you push that it puts a little gauge on the MMI. You then use a different dial to change the setting instead of using the puck.

As much as I liked it, my wife and I are not going to be a Q7 owner. The deal breaker for us was headroom in the 2nd seat and the lack of room in the back. We do a lot of couples traveling with 4 adults and the back seat headroom isn't made for people in the 6 foot range. When my wife and I sat in the back seat our heads felt very near the roof. In fact sitting up straight would cause us to touch the liner. The 3rd seat is really a joke, and furthermore the storage with the 3rd seat down is dramatically less than the GL. The egg shaped design really impacts the room behind the front seats. That was a deal breaker.

We then went to another MB dealer in town to look at the more recent GL. They have an ML in the showroom so we sat in that. I like the layout of the ML and the salesman expects it's a strong hint of what the MY13 GL will look like.

So Brocktoon has it nailed. I think I'm going to wait for another 10 months or so and see if I can get an early 2013 model. I have 96,000 miles on my 2007 so I was thinking it's time for an update, My extended warranty will be running out, but I haven't had any major problems with my GL so it's not a big risk.

Thanks for the advice, at this point I'm thinking I'll wait to be a poster child for the 2013 GL.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:57 AM

Geezz, First I sell TamZ that infiniti, now you another GL, I should become a car salesman!
Old 12-10-2011, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Geezz, First I sell TamZ that infiniti, now you another GL, I should become a car salesman!
Old 12-10-2011, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by BJ021
Hey Jim - Sears or Feldmans? I got mine originally through Maplewood - they were the only one with a diesel.

I'm looking to move mine too. 4 years is a record for me in one car. Looking to downgrade to a BMW 5 series GT. Drove a couple last week and really fell in love with it. I like the oddness of it, and the backseat legroom - my kids are tall. We don't use the 3rd row much any more - I just need a hatch style so I can transport the dog once and awhile. We have my wifes X5 to tow if need be.

You nailed the comparison of the 2 vehicles - in the end the Audi to me isn't as sharp looking, and resale isn't as good. But at 10K less, maybe that doesn't matter. Good Luck!
If you normally trade often, have you checked the residual value of the 5 series GT? I suspect it will be awful as the car sells poorly, (and with good reason IMHO).
Bish
Old 12-10-2011, 02:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
The Q7 looks like a jellybean or overinflated Ford Tarus to me.
+1

I've always liked the styling on Audi's but the Q7 is another matter. It just looks like a bubble going down the road. I don't think the GL's styling is nearly as polarizing.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by thebishman
If you normally trade often, have you checked the residual value of the 5 series GT? I suspect it will be awful as the car sells poorly, (and with good reason IMHO).
Bish
Hey Bish- I have found that similarly equipped 5's 'used' are priced close to or slightly lower than the GT's. People that own them absolutely love them. I think that the limited availability may work for you when selling especially if you have the right options. I really like the car over the sedan version. It's taller, so for a 6'3" guy - it's easier to get in and out. Better loading options than the sedan - drivability isn't really damaged at all. I've driven them both - great car. That said, still on the fence...I'm finding it's going to be hard to part from the GL! Maybe we should replace the wife's X5 with the GT?
Old 12-14-2011, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
my good buddy works for Audi and we took a 2012 Q7 TDI to LA from San Jose and I have to say that car is amazing - 4 guys all 6 foot and over and it was very comfortable - has tons of passing power and is no slouch on or off the freeway - we were averaging 85-100mph the whole way and yielded 28mpg - fit and finish is top notch - for 10K less than the GL i would have been all over it but my wife preferred the MB - only thing it didn't have is rear entertainment - i was very impressed with the Q7 overall - unfortunately there are never any lease deals on the TDI or BlueTec cars - such a bummer -
Old 12-15-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by baldmike73
we were averaging 85-100mph the whole way and yielded 28mpg -

No way at those speeds that truck averaged 28MPG! I run my GL averaging 78mph heading to the lake and back a lot of weekends - and the best it gets is 23MPG down hill, down wind at that speed. At 65-70MPH, I can get close to 28... But I can't imagine the tach being low enough @ 90mph to provide such great mileage.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:51 PM

No way at those speeds that truck averaged 28MPG! I run my GL averaging 78mph heading to the lake and back a lot of weekends - and the best it gets is 23MPG down hill, down wind at that speed. At 65-70MPH, I can get close to 28... But I can't imagine the tach being low enough @ 90mph to provide such great mileage.
We drove to Disneyland (from up here in the SF Bay Area) in April and I averaged exactly 25 mpg both ways while having the cruise "allegedly" locked at 80 mph. That mileage includes Pacheco Pass at one end and LA traffic at the other, both places where mileage is bad.

- Mark
Old 12-16-2011, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60

Drove from Vail, Co to just outside of Kansas City with three adults and the GL loaded with luggage, ski equipment, etc. About 600 miles total at an average speed of 75 mph. Pretty strong tailwind also. Computer returned 25.6 mpg. Never beaten that mileage.
Bish
Old 12-17-2011, 08:28 PM

It is possible to get some pretty incredible mileage. I got 8.5l/100km = 26.7mpg US = 33.3 mpg Imp, pulling a trailer of about 1,500 lb @ 70mph through the Rockies from Nelson BC to Calgary. I was blown away.

28 Imperial MPG seems possible @ 90, not US, Though...

Your 23 mpg as a best seems really low. I get pretty close to that in mixed town driving.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by thebishman
Drove from Vail, Co to just outside of Kansas City with three adults and the GL loaded with luggage, ski equipment, etc. About 600 miles total at an average speed of 75 mph. Pretty strong tailwind also. Computer returned 25.6 mpg. Never beaten that mileage.
Bish
That sounds about right though, downhill all the way. I've made that drive many times...not in my GL, but always got solid mileage in whatever I was driving. The difference for me is averaging higher that 75, I just don't see above about 23.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:37 PM

We probably would have gone with the Q7 if we didn't use the 3rd seat. Whoever designed the 2nd row seats must never have thought about getting into the rear. It's a nightmare climbing back there, and my kids insist on splitting apart to avoid fighting. Once back there, it's another story with the leg room.

In terms of driving, the Q7 beats the GL hands-down. However, I've found the GL growing on me in terms of comfort and looks. It was the only real choice for us with our family.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Talk me back, Audi Q7 TDI vs 2012 GL350