GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

EGR Cooling System Performance Fault

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 GL320 and a small fleet of motorcycles
EGR Cooling System Performance Fault

My 2009 GL320 has 70k miles. In the first week of March, I had a check engine light. This is a new-to-me car, and I'm unfamiliar with Mercedes and diesels in general. Being 40 miles from the house, and very close to the dealer, I let my wife convince me to drop in for a diagnosis, especially since Schedule B service was due in 500 miles anyway. After troubleshooting for two days, they came back with the DEF (adBlue) heater was bad, which required the entire pump system to be replaced. Between the repairs and service, I was in for $2400. Wifey was not happy with my decision to buy the GL at this point.

Everything ran fine until Friday. She sends me a message saying that the check engine light is on again. This time, I am somewhat prepared. She parks it at the house, and I get around to checking it out today. The code was P2457 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Cooling System Performance. This brings me here.

I'm not finding much documentation/schematics as to what is where under the hood. Remember, I'm an old Jeep and motorcycle guy, not a diesel mechanic. I believe the EGR temp sensor is in the front of the engine block in the exposed silver pipe. I removed this sensor and found it covered in carbon. A quick shot of carb cleaner and I shined it up and reinstalled it.

I cleared the code, and it hasn't come back in about 30 miles of driving. However, I still want a look at the cooler. I suspect it functions fine, but is probably just as dirty as the sensor. Does anyone have a schematic of exactly where it is located? I'm thinking the front of the engine block, but am not sure. Also, has anyone run into this issue? Any pointers would be welcome.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:43 PM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2021 V167
Egr cooler

Donkeys, I have a 2012 sprinter and a 2011 gl350, both with the same engines, however the egr cooler is configured differently on each car. If you want to read up on some folks removing and cleaning the egr as well as the cooler you should join over at www.sprintersource.com. Basically guys are removing them and soaking in simple green or a carb cleaner mix.

The other option would be the LubriMoly product you run into the engine which removes intake deposits, apparently works great. All the TDI vw guys use it.

Nice to see these cars moving into a phase of life hobbyist mechanics will do some general repairs on them.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:56 AM

'09 GL320 and a small fleet of motorcycles
Krusty, I'm trying my best to stay away from the Sprinter forum. I really really want a Sprinter so I can do a camper conversion, and I might not be able to handle the temptation.

Seriously though, that seems to be the best source for repair information on this engine. The Sprinter folks seem to be accumulating the miles to need repairs and also seem unafraid to tackle them. My concern with the GL is that it is an extremely tight engine bay, so doing "exploratory" surgery without a schematic is a bit daunting, especially if you're working on a timeline.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:08 PM

20 Sprinter 2500, 3 R350, 1 GL350, S550
Old thread but just in case someone stumbles upon it in a search...

The EGR cooler is located in the valley between the cylinders and below the intake. Removing requires removing the turbo, intake manifolds & pipe, EKAS, and pulling the wire harness forward for unobstructed acces .

Its not a fun job especially on the G class unless you pull the front clip and radiator.

Last edited by SSMaui; 05-17-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:56 AM

Mercedes GL320
Similar issues

I have replaced my DPF and for some reason the Delphi software does not seem to be able to reset the DPF. I still keep getting the engine management light on even after a full error code reset. Does anyone know a way with Delphi or any other software how to reset the DPF full/No regeneration possible error message and turn off the engine light?
Old 09-28-2015, 09:06 PM

20 Sprinter 2500, 3 R350, 1 GL350, S550
Originally Posted by RichardGood
I have replaced my DPF and for some reason the Delphi software does not seem to be able to reset the DPF. I still keep getting the engine management light on even after a full error code reset. Does anyone know a way with Delphi or any other software how to reset the DPF full/No regeneration possible error message and turn off the engine light?
Your new DPF must be "taught in". I know nothing of the Delphi software but if it emulates Xentry to a degree it would be under "Adaptations".
Old 09-29-2015, 04:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
We had this issue on both or VW and Benz. Both under warranty and repaired many times before we called it a day!

The VW started 3 days into ownership the Benz was about a month. My personal opinion is the US is not ready for diesel technology. The emissions required to keep the EPA folks happy is too much software and hardware issues. Just ask VW!

I think VW knew this on it's 2.0 engines that they sell lots of but the 3.0 engines were fighting them all the way. I'm susprised that the 3.0 was not pulled into the works too. they don't sell enough of those as the price point is too high for the average consumer to swallow and justify buying.

Both SUV's were great when running, but like I said we had to get out of the kitchen as it was getting too hot to handle. For VW we had to go through arbitration. VW would have sprung for another one but they were too far over their heads in repairs and rental costs. I think they were trying to call our bluff too so I just pushed the button and ran with it. It was no contest too! Also it was the end of the model year too and there were none to be had. The Benz they just took it back. No jumping up and down ect... Since nether one posted the repair cost's on the RO I'm sure both were in the thousands for warranty costs.

I had a RAM 3500 before both of these and it had just the DPF and no Urea. That ran flawlessly. With all the adblue mess now i just don't trust it anymore. Too many moving parts and software issues to make it all run smooth.

The heater is needed to heat the adblue as if you live in colder climates it freezes, yep you are reading correctly, freezes! WTF you say, yep that's correct. Not such a good deal going especially if you live where it's real cold!

Good luck on the fix.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:15 PM

BMW 2012 X3
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys
My 2009 GL320 has 70k miles. In the first week of March, I had a check engine light. This is a new-to-me car, and I'm unfamiliar with Mercedes and diesels in general. Being 40 miles from the house, and very close to the dealer, I let my wife convince me to drop in for a diagnosis, especially since Schedule B service was due in 500 miles anyway. After troubleshooting for two days, they came back with the DEF (adBlue) heater was bad, which required the entire pump system to be replaced. Between the repairs and service, I was in for $2400. Wifey was not happy with my decision to buy the GL at this point.

Everything ran fine until Friday. She sends me a message saying that the check engine light is on again. This time, I am somewhat prepared. She parks it at the house, and I get around to checking it out today. The code was P2457 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Cooling System Performance. This brings me here.

I'm not finding much documentation/schematics as to what is where under the hood. Remember, I'm an old Jeep and motorcycle guy, not a diesel mechanic. I believe the EGR temp sensor is in the front of the engine block in the exposed silver pipe. I removed this sensor and found it covered in carbon. A quick shot of carb cleaner and I shined it up and reinstalled it.

I cleared the code, and it hasn't come back in about 30 miles of driving. However, I still want a look at the cooler. I suspect it functions fine, but is probably just as dirty as the sensor. Does anyone have a schematic of exactly where it is located? I'm thinking the front of the engine block, but am not sure. Also, has anyone run into this issue? Any pointers would be welcome.
Maybe you need to get a new set of EGR cooler and replace the old one.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
We had the same issues on both diesels. Constant EGR issues. VW did not support a loaner program so they placed us in a Hertz rental. A few times they had a off lease to use. I saw just one of those bills to choke a horse and there were many of those. Benz had a loaner program in place. Never saw anything.

When that light came on it was head for the dealer and don't stop to collect 200 bucks!

I live in Virginia it's not that cold, but we had not experienced the cold with either one. The heater is needed to keep the AdBlue from freezing.

The VW had other issues too, those were dealer related. They had not PDI the truck correctly. When we test drove it it still had the cloth on it, we had to return to the dealer the next day to pick it up. I suspect in the rush to deliver it they over looked several items that later surfaced as not being done and failed.

The other day I was filling up the GL550 and the guy next to me mentioned the GL350 BlueTec. I snapped back with not on your life would I buy another one. Even if for free. Even a Diesel. Every brand has the same issues. The issues stem from the AdBlue mess. Like I said my Ram 3500 without the DEF ran flawless!

I will tell you that non of it's covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty. We never made it that far to play that card. From reading posts at VW some of the cost was covered under goodwill adjustments. Not sure about extended warranties either.

We bought them all for the miles per gallon as we were racking up some serious miles. The miles per tank were nothing like a gasser.

The GL550 is has been 99.99% better although it does have it flaws and quirkyness for a gasser.