GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL550 with 21 AMG wheels - shake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
GL550 with 21 AMG wheels - shake

I've been looking again, I know It's a disaster is the making!

I've located a 2012 GL550 with 22K on it. Spotless inside and out. Still smells new inside. All the options. Took my brother with me. He says it's much nicer than the GL450 I have. It was also raining cats and dogs and I wanted to see it dry!

It cruised along great until I hit 60 and then it was like my teeth were ready to rattle out of my head. Even the sales guy made a commit about what was going on. I took my foot of the gas and let it down to 55 and no more shake. No shake in the pedal just the steering wheel. I suspect balance issues? Or sitting for 2 months unused and the tires went flat spotted? I don't think it's the latter part it would have felt different?

Its got brand new Pirelli's on it. Still has the nubbies on the tires. For something that's only got 22K why the new tires? It has a September inspection and could have sat for 2 months unused? Do these things really chew though them to replace at 22K? Looks like there is not much other than Pirelli's or Conti's available?

The dealer said they would take care of it after the sale, I insisted it be taken care of before and that I would be back in a few days to check its progress. Getting stuff done after the sale seems like an up hill battle vs. making them chase the bone around the yard to make the sale! Today they were supposed to get it into the shop to take a look. The sales guy was not in today so getting a straight answer was not going to happen.

Also the net crap holder is missing on the passenger side along with two of the plastic clips that holds it to the carpeting. I can't find that on the microfish or even if it's a part by itself or is it only with the carpeting? Netting and two clips missing in black. does someone have access to a better parts guide?

The rear passenger seat some of the stitching is loose. Warranty work for sure.

Other than that it's in perfect condition.

Thoughts other than for me to stop complaining?

Last edited by CBR Dude; 10-22-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
X164 GL550, F10 535 6MT
Tell them you are interested in purchasing the car, but your list of concerns needs to be addressed FIRST. Give them a timeline for the work to be completed and tell them that you'll be back to buy the car then. Those are the terms of your deal. If they resist or are difficult to work with, leave and look for another GL. It's out there.

If they are difficult to deal with BEFORE you buy the car, they won't give you the time of day AFTER they have your $.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:46 PM

GL550
That's exactly what I did. Gave them a list of stuff that needed to be addressed. I'll be back on Saturday I said when it's dry and done.

Fully aware of how they play the game. Every time someone touches the car they hear the cash register ringing sound and they think they are loosing money.

I agree, once they have my money they could care less how responsive they are.

They called me today and said the balancing was done. I'm trying to wrap my head around how it was done the first time and they did not catch it. Makes you wonder how minimal they do things to turn a fast buck.

Ugh!
Old 10-24-2014, 12:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2002 C32AMG
the fact it has brand new tires on it leads me to believe one or more of then weren't balanced right or maybe one or more of the weights fell off. either way it's a simple fix.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
X164 GL550, F10 535 6MT
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:08 AM

GL550
Sure will. Tomorrow's the big day to see what's been done. Supposed to be clear weather.

I suspect very little? Even though they said they did it. Or some of it. Or none of it. Or put very little effort into it. The idea is to move the metal and rubber as fast as you can without putting a whole lot of anything into it. = more profit!!

I'm learning real fast that most of these people are minimalists at everything! Which drives me batty! There is no more service any where. You have to get flipping pissed off before they take any notice and then they get combative on you!

I'll report back on what happens. I should post the name of the dealership to steer clear of!
Old 10-25-2014, 02:21 AM

GL550
Well I'm the proud owner of a 2012 GL550 with 22K on it! Wheels all balanced and it purred like a kitten all the way home! Got off work early and called the guy up and said I'm coming now, I'll be there in a hour will that work? Arrived at the dealer and it was all cleaned up. Tires glowing with glossy coating and a wax job to make anyone jealous! Got to get it inspected and emissions and I'll be DMV ready!
Old 10-25-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' GL550, 05' S55 (sold), 04' Yukon Denali XL, 05' 745il (sold), 01' 740il (sold)
Originally Posted by CBR Dude
Well I'm the proud owner of a 2012 GL550 with 22K on it! Wheels all balanced and it purred like a kitten all the way home! Got off work early and called the guy up and said I'm coming now, I'll be there in a hour will that work? Arrived at the dealer and it was all cleaned up. Tires glowing with glossy coating and a wax job to make anyone jealous! Got to get it inspected and emissions and I'll be DMV ready!

Thats good news, any Picts?
Old 11-05-2014, 10:06 PM

GL550
Got the SAT radio and MBrace hooked up and emissions inspection. Ordered the 3rd row mats. I took it in to MB to address the stitching on the rear seat. They will fix under warranty. Came out very unhappy. Dip stick missing and looks like oil was not changed at 20K. But the EPIC was reset. They ordered the stick for me and changed the oil. I sent the bill to the selling dealer. They said they would take care of it. Also the air filers were dirty. I bought them and changed myself. The selling dealer replaced the tires, rotors on all four corners, and pads but could not afford the oil change. WTF. Still scratching my head on that one.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:12 PM

09' GL550, 05' S55 (sold), 04' Yukon Denali XL, 05' 745il (sold), 01' 740il (sold)
Got the SAT radio and MBrace hooked up and emissions inspection. Ordered the 3rd row mats. I took it in to MB to address the stitching on the rear seat. They will fix under warranty. Came out very unhappy. Dip stick missing and looks like oil was not changed at 20K. But the EPIC was reset. They ordered the stick for me and changed the oil. I sent the bill to the selling dealer. They said they would take care of it. Also the air filers were dirty. I bought them and changed myself. The selling dealer replaced the tires, rotors on all four corners, and pads but could not afford the oil change. WTF. Still scratching my head on that one.
What is MBrace and is it worth it?
Old 11-06-2014, 07:45 PM

GL550
It's 280 per year. Very similar to OnStar in the GM world. OnStar was awful in my 2001 Suburban. My Lexus has a similar service too, but after the free trial ran out I bagged it. On the Benz it runs off the Verizon network. OnStar ran off the Verizon network too, but have since switched to AT&T. You could couple the service with your Verizon account and share the bucket on minutes. It had a cell number too that you could call. Also there is Plus service on top of the basic service which has a small assortment of features for and added 20 a month. Based on the 2012 GL. You can locate the vehicle on a map on your smart phone, unlock your doors, and blair the horn should you forget where you parked it while shopping at the mega mall of America. Also You can send directions to the command unit with out punching them in. Summons help should you push the SOS button and also does it for you should the airbags deploy. In my 2011 it worked twice in location based services and 1 time to unlock then proceeded to call 50 that someone had broken into it and sent me a text message that the police were in route. It's work flawlessly on the 2012. On the 2011 I'd give it a fat "F"! I think on the 2013's you get a host more of options for an added cost. I won't keep it after the free trial expires. Your insurance company also gives you a discount, but not 280 bucks worth of discount. I'll keep the SAT Radio as I love listening to it. I will dumb that down to the 9.99 a month plan vs. the entire listening programming.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:11 PM

It's 280 per year. Very similar to OnStar in the GM world. OnStar was awful in my 2001 Suburban. My Lexus has a similar service too, but after the free trial ran out I bagged it. On the Benz it runs off the Verizon network. OnStar ran off the Verizon network too, but have since switched to AT&T. You could couple the service with your Verizon account and share the bucket on minutes. It had a cell number too that you could call. Also there is Plus service on top of the basic service which has a small assortment of features for and added 20 a month. Based on the 2012 GL. You can locate the vehicle on a map on your smart phone, unlock your doors, and blair the horn should you forget where you parked it while shopping at the mega mall of America. Also You can send directions to the command unit with out punching them in. Summons help should you push the SOS button and also does it for you should the airbags deploy. In my 2011 it worked twice in location based services and 1 time to unlock then proceeded to call 50 that someone had broken into it and sent me a text message that the police were in route. It's work flawlessly on the 2012. On the 2011 I'd give it a fat "F"! I think on the 2013's you get a host more of options for an added cost. I won't keep it after the free trial expires. Your insurance company also gives you a discount, but not 280 bucks worth of discount. I'll keep the SAT Radio as I love listening to it. I will dumb that down to the 9.99 a month plan vs. the entire listening programming.

I agree, I really do not need this for the price.