Rear entertainment screen gray screen after 10 seconds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Rear entertainment screen gray screen after 10 seconds

Hi guys,

First post in this section and couldn't find anything in my search. Purchased a '12 GL350 for the wife and loving it so far. Only issue I have is one screen on the factory rear entertainment goes gray after 10 seconds or so. Screen picture works fine until then. I have the one with the DVD player built right into the unit, not the one in the middle console. I've tried pulling fuse 23 as per some posts I've read on here(and fuse diagram) to try and reset something but unit still stay on when I do that. Thought that would be something I could try as a troubleshoot before I have to replace it. Anyone know of the actual fuse number for this? I believe fuse 23 is for the entertainment system with the DVD console in the middle, not for my case. Don't really want to pull the battery to test it. Other than trying the fuse, any other suggestions I can do or try before I fork out the cash for a new one? Anyone try to fix these? Any feedback or suggestions is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:02 PM

CLS55 AMG
Anyone know if these are still covered under factory warranty?
Old 02-23-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Sounds like if the DVD is part of the head unit, it is an aftermarket addition and probably not covered under warranty. Do you know if they're MB units or something like Invision or some other manufacturer? I'd check the wiring coming down out of the seat if they're mounted in the headrest area.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:18 PM

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by nynd
Sounds like if the DVD is part of the head unit, it is an aftermarket addition and probably not covered under warranty. Do you know if they're MB units or something like Invision or some other manufacturer? I'd check the wiring coming down out of the seat if they're mounted in the headrest area.

Yeah, they are the MB OEM ones installed when new. I have an appointment with them on Friday, will keep thread updated for the next guy. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2015, 05:53 PM

CLS55 AMG
Found the fuse for those wondering. It's fuse 28 in the rear cargo fuse box. It's tied in with the front power seat adjustments.

Pulling the fuse did nothing....I'll see what the dealer says this Friday. Seeing these online for over $800 each doesn't give me a good feeling.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450, 2013 Lexus GS350 F-Sport
Paying a premium for older car entertainment tech is falling by the wayside. May I suggest a couple refurbished iPads clipped/strapped to the headrests?
Old 03-03-2015, 07:31 PM

CLS55 AMG
So just an update for anyone having the same issue as me. I brought to dealer and they mentioned $1400 to replace with new monitor, they didn't even test system. Didn't like the price and as mentioned by islandbeef, paying a premium for old tech is a waist of money.

So I decided to pull it out and test it. These are portable ones so I plugged it in the house and it was working great! Tested them on 2 movies and no issues. I knew it had to do with the power and how it get distributed. Took off drivers seat back panel and found the MBA connection module was faulty. Tested it and it worked with one monitor, and not two. Searched online for just this part and couldn't find it and not paying full pop from it anywhere.

Decided to just hardwire a 12V from the cig lighter to the 12V plug in on the side of the unit and bypassing the connection module. Works great now as that was my only option.

Just happy I didn't have to fork out any dough for these unit to get them working.

This is the part that failed.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450, 2013 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

I have the same dual monitor setup as in the photo. The Philips dual monitors are powered by the power source under the 2nd row vents. For $120 (with full replacement warranty) from Target/Walmart/Amazon it's not bad compared to the $1400 the stealership wants. Also, these are removable and you can use them at home/hotel.

Since my kids are older (15 and 12) their iPads/iPhone 6's are more entertaining than the DVDs. The double monitors are sitting in a travel case in my garage now.