GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Wiring Harness Varied Resistance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL 450
Wiring Harness Varied Resistance

Hi everyone, I've been trying to wrestle a few issues to the ground recently and I'm coming back to a common theme.

I'm concerned my engine wiring harness is going bad. I'm new to the GL450 so I've not had much experience with this.

I have a code P0410 that keeps creeping back. Recently my car stalled three times while at moderate speed (40-55 mph). During those stalls, the car threw several codes at me including: P0393, P0340, P0102, P0607, P0101, P0343, P0348, P0368

These codes suggest that all of the camshaft sensors are having trouble and at the same time the MAF sensor is bad if I'm not mistaken.

All of these systems (MAF, Camshaft Sensors, and the Secondary Air Pump) feed through that same wiring harness.

To test my theory I pulled the power cable on the secondary air pump and tested the ground side. There was resistance between the pump ground connector and the ground on the car. I then moved the wiring harness during this measurement to witness the resistance change dramatically.

Has anyone else had these issues or something similar? I've had the car to the dealer who failed to diagnose the stall issue and incorrectly diagnosed the secondary air problem. Since they didn't say that the ECU is bad I'm hoping that it isn't the whole computer.

I would appreciate any thoughts you might have!
Old 04-19-2017, 09:34 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
gl450 530i
Originally Posted by OldRockyTop
Hi everyone, I've been trying to wrestle a few issues to the ground recently and I'm coming back to a common theme.

I'm concerned my engine wiring harness is going bad. I'm new to the GL450 so I've not had much experience with this.

I have a code P0410 that keeps creeping back. Recently my car stalled three times while at moderate speed (40-55 mph). During those stalls, the car threw several codes at me including: P0393, P0340, P0102, P0607, P0101, P0343, P0348, P0368

These codes suggest that all of the camshaft sensors are having trouble and at the same time the MAF sensor is bad if I'm not mistaken.

All of these systems (MAF, Camshaft Sensors, and the Secondary Air Pump) feed through that same wiring harness.

To test my theory I pulled the power cable on the secondary air pump and tested the ground side. There was resistance between the pump ground connector and the ground on the car. I then moved the wiring harness during this measurement to witness the resistance change dramatically.

Has anyone else had these issues or something similar? I've had the car to the dealer who failed to diagnose the stall issue and incorrectly diagnosed the secondary air problem. Since they didn't say that the ECU is bad I'm hoping that it isn't the whole computer.

what year is your gl might neeed a new timing chain
Old 04-19-2017, 09:43 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
X166 gls450 2017

I think youre going down the right path, front Sam also had a notorious history of failures, signal actuator module, search it
Old 04-19-2017, 09:51 PM

2007 GL 450
Originally Posted by gl450x164
what year is your gl might neeed a new timing chain
It's an 07 GL 450, with about 95k on it. Is the timing chain a common issue I should consider? I honestly hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-19-2017, 09:54 PM

2007 GL 450
Originally Posted by 007_e350
I think youre going down the right path, front Sam also had a notorious history of failures, signal actuator module, search it
thanks so much for that thought 007_e350!

I'll research how to test that and report back soon!
Old 04-19-2017, 11:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
na
Since they didn't say that the ECU is bad I'm hoping that it isn't the whole computer.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your ride. If it turns out you do need work done on your ecu we offer a repair service that is well below dealer pricing. Let's hope it doesn't come to that though!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:19 PM

2007 GL 450
An update on my issue:

I removed the front SAM (located under passenger seat) and disassembled the module that might have been the culprit. No obvious damage to the unit and it does appear to be in good condition. No loose leads, so scorching, no water infiltration. (Photos attached)

If anyone has had issues with the SAM before, was the issue obvious? Or was the damage simply in the programming of the module and therefore can't be seen without SDS?

Is there a way to test this module without SDS (probably not)? I reinstalled the module after giving it a good canned air cleaning just in case in introduced any unwanted contaminants.

I think I'll pull the wiring harness just to see if there is anything obvious.

If there are any other thoughts I'm very open to listening. Thanks again!

Other recent work I did that may or may not be relevant:

1. Replaced Airmatic Compressor, filter, and input hose

2. Replaced Crankshaft Position Sensor (possible solution to stall issue)
Attached Thumbnails Wiring Harness Varied Resistance-img_20170420_165214333.jpg   Wiring Harness Varied Resistance-img_20170420_165229670.jpg   Wiring Harness Varied Resistance-img_20170420_170051638_hdr.jpg  
Old 04-21-2017, 12:23 AM

X166 gls450 2017
An update on my issue:

I removed the front SAM (located under passenger seat) and disassembled the module that might have been the culprit. No obvious damage to the unit and it does appear to be in good condition. No loose leads, so scorching, no water infiltration. (Photos attached)

If anyone has had issues with the SAM before, was the issue obvious? Or was the damage simply in the programming of the module and therefore can't be seen without SDS?

Is there a way to test this module without SDS (probably not)? I reinstalled the module after giving it a good canned air cleaning just in case in introduced any unwanted contaminants.

I think I'll pull the wiring harness just to see if there is anything obvious.

If there are any other thoughts I'm very open to listening. Thanks again!

Other recent work I did that may or may not be relevant:

1. Replaced Airmatic Compressor, filter, and input hose

2. Replaced Crankshaft Position Sensor (possible solution to stall issue)
I lost the previous car due to Sam draining battery and dealership couldn't diagnose, months later I saw a tsb on this, they revised the unit ... the way to test my problem which may or maybot be relevant to yours, I hooked up an ammeter in series to the battery positive terminal and locked the car, let it sleep in 15 mins or so.. there should be no drainage from that point on .. my car would draw 3 amps every 30 mins... and battery would be done in 3 weeks ... I took fuses out repeated the rest etc but could not nail down the exact source and ended up trading the car, to my surprise one day another guy was getting Sam replaced due to tsb about it and it burnt my ********* to ashes

Last edited by 007_e350; 04-21-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:00 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Before you do any digging into the wiring remove cam sensors and look inside if the markings have moved. It certainly sounds like your timing (chain) is bad.

What resistance to ground are you observing? There might be some but it should be in the ohms range. Up to 60-100 is prolly ok.

Last edited by alx; 04-21-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:20 PM

2007 GL 450
Thanks 007_350 and ALX for your help with this. I'm still not sure that I've worked out all of the issues at this point.

However I did pull the top of the wiring harness apart this morning. I followed the ground wire of the Secondary air pump and voila, bad ground. That system is working perfectly now, and I'm posting a picture of the wiring harness ground location for anyone who might need to check that as part of an electrical issue. (I've marked it's location between the last and second to last ignition coils on the passenger side of the engine. Note the orange marker)

I'm not sure if that ground might have impacted the cam sensors, but I'll wait and see if those issues come back. They probably aren't related but a man can hope.

I'm sure the timing chain would be an undertaking that I'm not capable of, so do you know what I should plan to pay for such an operation?

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails Wiring Harness Varied Resistance-img_20170421_081910230.jpg  

Last edited by OldRockyTop; 04-23-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:32 PM

gl450 530i
Thanks 007_350 and ALX for your help with this. I'm still not sure that I've worked out all of the issues at this point.

However I didn't pull the top of the wiring harness apart this morning. I followed the ground wire of the Secondary air pump and voila, bad ground. That system is working perfectly now, and I'm posting a picture of the wiring harness ground location for anyone who might need to check that as part of an electrical issue. (I've marked it's location between the last and second to last ignition coils on the passenger side of the engine. Note the orange marker)

I'm not sure if that ground might have impacted the cam sensors, but I'll wait and see if those issues come back. They probably aren't related but a man can hope.

I'm sure the timing chain would be an undertaking that I'm not capable of, so do you know what I should plan to pay for such an operation?

Thanks again!

minimum 5k...ask me how i know
Old 04-22-2017, 12:06 PM

X166 gls450 2017

However I didn't pull the top of the wiring harness apart this morning. I followed the ground wire of the Secondary air pump and voila, bad ground. That system is working perfectly now, and I'm posting a picture of the wiring harness ground location for anyone who might need to check that as part of an electrical issue. (I've marked it's location between the last and second to last ignition coils on the passenger side of the engine. Note the orange marker)

I'm not sure if that ground might have impacted the cam sensors, but I'll wait and see if those issues come back. They probably aren't related a man can hope.

Thanks again!
Great find!!
One of the symptoms of extended timing chain is clattering sound on cold start, plenty of info on here, there's actually a fellow member that wrote up full diy with pics not too long ago, let me know if you can't find that post
The following users liked this post:
OldRockyTop (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 01:44 PM

2007 GL 450
Originally Posted by gl450x164
minimum 5k...ask me how i know
gl450x164, that sounds awful, but somewhere in the ballpark I was expecting sadly.

Around what mileage did you do have to swap the chain?
Old 04-23-2017, 02:38 PM

gl450 530i
gl450x164, that sounds awful, but somewhere in the ballpark I was expecting sadly.

Around what mileage did you do have to swap the chain?

i replaced mine at 166k it only affected the 07 mainly. it did start to show symptoms around 150k. it really varies by driver and maintenance though
Old 02-25-2019, 05:25 PM

GL 450
Hello everyone. I have a 2009 GL 450 that keeps displaying a 'Malfunction' indicator with an arrow pointing underneath the vehicle. The back bounces as I ride down the street. It doesn't do this all the time. What could be the issue?
Old 02-25-2019, 10:57 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
If your truck doesn’t sag over night your compressor is dying. Could be a few other things, but most likely it is the compressor.

Search forum - plenty of info on the subject