EBV ABS ESP Inoperative Diagnosis/Rig test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
EBV ABS ESP Inoperative Diagnosis/Rig test

So I searched high and low, and was going nuts trying to complete this "Road Test". This is when you have the STAWP VEHIKUL NAO and ABS light (but not ESP) light illuminated.

Finally, with the help of https://mbworld.org/forums/ml55-amg-...-rig-test.html I managed to get it.

Here's the simple version. Plus, I found a slight adjustment.
1. Vehicle stationary, steering centered, foot off brake, engine running, flat ground, open area about 100' or more across.
2. Press ESP Off; ESP warning light will begin flashing. When it goes solid, proceed.
3. Press brake pedal
4. Shift into D
5. Release brake
6. Begin driving 10-15 mph, steering > 90 deg, < 180 deg. You have to execute about a half turn.
7. When ESP light begins flashing, brake to a stop.
8. Shift to N
9. Release brake

Both ABS and ESP lights should go off. If the ABS light is on, you messed up the test and have to repeat it. If the ESP light but not the ABS light is lit, you have an ESP fault - which is why I fiddled (unsuccessfully) with the SAS in the first place.
The following 4 users liked this post by eric_in_sd:
bassfreak (08-23-2019), fast_freddy (12-12-2021), Matthew Waltrip (10-01-2020), slim nicky (08-13-2018)
Old 01-03-2020, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350 Diesel
I had the same problem after hooking up iCarsoft Professional V2.0 diagnostic tool to my 2010 MB ML 350 diesel. Definitely, I did something wrong in the service section of the tool. I got an instruction like eric_in_sd gave but it was very hard to follow through. Later, I contacted iCarsoft and got almost similar instruction as follows:

1.- Stop car with front wheels in straight position and geared at P. ABS light is ON and ESP light is OFF. Parking brake released.
2.- Actuate the service brake and shift to N. Release service brake and push the ESP button. The ESP triangular light flashed and then lit steadily. Immediately, shift to D. Move straight and turned 1/4 of a circle (left or right) with the steering wheel turned >90°.
3.- Stop by using the service brake while straightening the front wheels. The ESP light flashed and ABS light was still ON. Shift to N, and release the service break. The ABS and ESP lights went off. The "EBV, ABS and ESP unavailable Diagnostics/rig test" message disappeared.

I tried several times in an empty paring lot in the morning. It wasn't done properly. I got frustrated and tried to make it simple and non-technical. So I did following thing and worked:

Find a quiet road (horizontal, no up- or down-hill) with a side-road on your right in 100 feet ahead. Stop the car by the road curve in neutral N position. Press ESP button twice; the triangular light flashes a few times then steady. Move gear to drive D position with braking. Let it move forward then turn right to the road and straighten the wheel along the road. The triangular light start to flash again from steady. While straighten the wheel, brake and move the gear to neutral N position. The triangular light will stop first then ESP light off. Voila.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clc180
Do you know the procedure with a manual gearbox? Ive accidently activated this test
Old 04-22-2021, 07:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK320, ML550, SL55, GL450
Heads up for others, I ended up having to take it into the dealership.
My ABS light still wouldn't turn off after doing the rig test so many times.
They had to reprogram the ABS to get rid of it in the end, didn't take long.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See signature
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
So I searched high and low, and was going nuts trying to complete this "Road Test". This is when you have the STAWP VEHIKUL NAO and ABS light (but not ESP) light illuminated.

Finally, with the help of https://mbworld.org/forums/ml55-amg-...-rig-test.html I managed to get it.

Here's the simple version. Plus, I found a slight adjustment.
1. Vehicle stationary, steering centered, foot off brake, engine running, flat ground, open area about 100' or more across.
2. Press ESP Off; ESP warning light will begin flashing. When it goes solid, proceed.
3. Press brake pedal
4. Shift into D
5. Release brake
6. Begin driving 10-15 mph, steering > 90 deg, < 180 deg. You have to execute about a half turn.
7. When ESP light begins flashing, brake to a stop.
8. Shift to N
9. Release brake

Both ABS and ESP lights should go off. If the ABS light is on, you messed up the test and have to repeat it. If the ESP light but not the ABS light is lit, you have an ESP fault - which is why I fiddled (unsuccessfully) with the SAS in the first place.
Thank you. Was goofing around with my CL63 today and made the mistake of screwing around with the steering angle sensor (my active lumbar went - The massaging seat is kaput at the switch (short - fixing that Tuesday, perhaps its related) thinking the steering was screwed up. Having done it before on my Porsche's/BMW's/Etc. I didn't think it'd be a big deal. Boy I was wrong. I was using the iCarsoft MBII, screwed it up then used this simplification to unscrew it. Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
eric_in_sd (12-13-2021)