GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Bran new battery died after on 12 hrs overnight.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mercedes 450GL
Bran new battery died after on 12 hrs overnight.

I have a 2011 450 GL with aromatic ride system. I instand a brand new battery yesterday thinking the battery was no good. Overnight it went bad. I went into the garage last night because I kept hearing a clicking sound up front on the right side where the airmatic compressor is and the block valve is located. I replaced both of these items 4 months ago along with a left air shock. Would this have anything to do with the battery draining. Also, the compressor continuesly bleeds air off when you park it or in stop mode. Don’t know if this is normal. Please help.
PS: I left the fuse out all night and it was still was dead in the am.
chris

Last edited by Topguncg; 01-23-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 240 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
If the compressor is constantly running, sure, of course that can kill a battery. Sounds like maybe the relay is sticking closed, thereby causing the pump to run. Try changing the relay.

Edit: Forgot to add... If the compressor was running, though, I'm surprised you didn't get an overheat message... or the compressor didn't just up and die. Either way, something is not right as it shouldn't be making whatever clicking sound that is that you're talking about. Pull fuses/relays till the sound stops - that will ID the circuit. If you can positively ID where the sound is coming from ahead of time, that will make things easier/faster.

Last edited by DennisG01; 01-21-2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:55 PM

2011 Mercedes 450GL
Originally Posted by Topguncg
I have a 2011 450 GL with aromatic ride system. I instand a brand new battery yesterday thinking the battery was no good. Overnight it went bad. I went into the garage last night because I kept hearing a clicking sound up front on the right side where the airmatic compressor is and the block valve is located. I replaced both of these items 4 months ago along with a left air shock. Would this have anything to do with the battery draining. Also, the compressor continuesly bleeds air off when you park it or in stop mode. Don’t know if this is normal. Please help.
chris
Thank you for responding: two things I don’t know where the relay is and the compressor is not running it’s making a clicking sound like power is trying to kick in the compressor.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:59 PM

2011 Mercedes 450GL
Ok great idea I will recharge the battery start it back up after pulling the fuse that controls the airmatic system. If it’s this what should I do to fix it? Any thoughts here?
chris
Old 01-23-2019, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by Topguncg
Ok great idea I will recharge the battery start it back up after pulling the fuse that controls the airmatic system. If it’s this what should I do to fix it? Any thoughts here?
chris
If the problem turns out to be a sticking relay, simply replacing the relay will fix the issue (as long as nothing else is also causing an issue). But again, it's unlikely the actual compressor is running.

First, though, gotta find where that clicking is coming from.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:08 PM

2011 Mercedes 450GL
Started it back up pulled the fuse charged it to 95% let it sit overnight dead again in the morning. I'm lost as to what to do? When you say, a sticky relay where would I find the relay? Any clue?
Old 01-23-2019, 12:12 PM

2011 Mercedes 450GL
I found this under Mercedes 2011 GL RElay replacement is this what you are talking about? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be...4383.l4275.c10
Old 01-23-2019, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 633 Likes on 472 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
charge battery
Install battery
Use amp meter to check what your standby draw is with key far away.

If you find it over 1 amp or so then start pulling fuses until yuo see it drop a bunch.
Make note of how much it drops for each fuse.

The fuse with the most drop has something wrong and that is where you look first.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
A relay is different than a fuse. A relay is like a switch. The link that YGMN provided shows a picture. The compressor relay is under the hood, starboard side (along with some other relays). Check your fuse/relay diagram for which one it is (or Google for that).

Last night, was it still making that clicking noise? Did you find where it was coming from? Did you pull fuses/relays till the sound stopped to ID the possible offending circuit? Does the battery weaken even if it's not connected to anything?
Old 01-23-2019, 03:14 PM

2011 Mercedes 450GL
Relay

I did not hear the sound I spoke of last night. After removing the fuse and charging the battery via running the engine for two hours. I turned the car off it started right back up. But again this morning it was dead. I just purchased the relay that goes in the engine fuse box very cheap so I thought what the heck it want hurt to try this. I’m charging the battery since this
morning and will continue this year Neil I receive the new relay switch. What’s your thoughts on this move. Think I’m going in the right direction?
Old 01-23-2019, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Let's eliminate another variable. I know you said it's a new battery, but we want to be SURE it's not faulty. Get it FULLY charged and then take it to a place like Autozone and they can load test it.

If you put that fuse back in, does the sound start up again?
​​​​​​
Short of finding the culrpit via a noise or other obvious way, you can do an amp draw test (mentioned above, or google it) to see how much power is really being pulled once the engine is off and the car "goes to sleep" after X-amount of minutes (maybe 15?). If the DVM is still showing too high of a draw, then start pulling fuses one at a time to locate the problem circuit.

To kill that battery over night (assuming it's healthy and fully charged), you've got a pretty big draw going so the amp draw test will definitely find it.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:42 AM

2011 Mercedes 450GL
OK think I'm making progress here. Last night removed the 40 amp circuit breaker for the air compressor and also removed the relay for the airmatic system. Jump started the car ran for one hour turned it off started right back up no issues. This morning it started right up no issues. think I found the problem. Bad relay to the airmatic system. Fix cost so far $20.00 from eEuroparts.com. I will follow up to let everyone know the outcome once the part arrives and is installed.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:38 PM

2011 Mercedes 450GL
Battery issue is back after a month of good use.

My 2011 450GL has started back doing the same thing it did a month ago. Battery dying overnight. See all the things we troubled shouted before really need some help here to figure this out.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:13 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
It would seem that you should really test and identify a parasitic draw on the battery. Once you isolate the source, your problem will be much easier to resolve. Here's a video link on how to go about performing the parasitic draw test:

And, oh! One last thought: that should be BRAND new battery, not BRAN new. Just sayin'... ..those little details will getcha when your testing for the parasitic draw.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:36 PM

2011 Mercedes 450GL
Found the issue

Charged the battery last night. Took the fuse and the relay switch out of the fuse box for the aromatic system. Car started up no issues. It started up all day so I know it’s the aromatic system. What I do t know what’s causing it. Any clues? I replaced the air compressor & block value several months ago, it started a month after they were replaced. I didn’t replace the relay switch which I have ordered. The dealership said they always replace the relay if the replace the air compressor. So I will start there.