GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

New owner 2011 GL450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 11:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55 SLK 320
New owner 2011 GL450

Hi everyone. I just purchased a private party well maintained 2011 GL450 with 110k on it. I know the likes are in the high end but the service records are excellent and I drive others with lower mileage that were a mess.

Many things I should be changing out just because ?

I do all of my own repairs and I mean all. Truck already has new airmatic pump and front struts. Read were done as well but have about 50k miles in them.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by wrightbenz
Hi everyone. I just purchased a private party well maintained 2011 GL450 with 110k on it. I know the likes are in the high end but the service records are excellent and I drive others with lower mileage that were a mess.

Many things I should be changing out just because ?

I do all of my own repairs and I mean all. Truck already has new airmatic pump and front struts. Read were done as well but have about 50k miles in them.
probably best to change out both idler pulley and tenioner . There's a kit on fcp euro. Cheap too

Sway bar end links. All 4. These wear out. And sway bar bushings. Tranny pan if it looks rusted.
Full engine flush with ceratec and Liqui molly oil (my favorite combo)
Check if the intake manifold was done. The actuators stick.
Airmatic air filter (tiny 3$ part) and check the bracket just in case it is loose.

For brakes I really like my setup. Ebc sport rotors and akebono pads. Some people like the brembo pads. Others like the oe zimmerman rotors.

Normal filters like cabin and engine filter. Tranny flush. Differential flush. Brake flush.
Tbh you'll probably have to do the rears soon again. But fcp euro has a great parts warranty!
Hope it helps!

Last edited by kombifan; 02-23-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:45 AM

SL55 SLK 320

Originally Posted by kombifan

probably best to change out both idler pulley and tenioner . There's a kit on fcp euro. Cheap too

Sway bar end links. All 4. These wear out. And sway bar bushings. Tranny pan if it looks rusted.
Full engine flush with ceratec and Liqui molly oil (my favorite combo)
Check if the intake manifold was done. The actuators stick.
Airmatic air filter (tiny 3$ part) and check the bracket just in case it is loose.

For brakes I really like my setup. Ebc sport rotors and akebono pads. Some people like the brembo pads. Others like the oe zimmerman rotors.

Normal filters like cabin and engine filter. Tranny flush. Differential flush. Brake flush.
Tbh you'll probably have to do the rears soon again. But fcp euro has a great parts warranty!
Hope it helps!
Thanks for the quick reply.
I will post the Carfax that should offer a lot of info.
I do not recall seeing the intake issue but truck runs great.
What are the symptoms of the sticking intake ?
I would suspect the older and tensioner have been replaced as I do not hear any bearing noise from them.
I do have a bit of a bearing sound coming from the rear. I am fairly certain the right wheel bearing is on its way out. Is this common ?
The following users liked this post:
bensitto (03-03-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the quick reply.
I will post the Carfax that should offer a lot of info.
I do not recall seeing the intake issue but truck runs great.
What are the symptoms of the sticking intake ?
I would suspect the older and tensioner have been replaced as I do not hear any bearing noise from them.
I do have a bit of a bearing sound coming from the rear. I am fairly certain the right wheel bearing is on its way out. Is this common ?
symptoms of the stuck intake I myself am not too sure about. I assume reduced performance. I know that it will give you a code in the computer if they do stick and they are a common replacement part.

I'm not sure about the wheel bearing, but anything is possible and very likely if it has been sitting for a while.

You'll also want to check out Azn optics for a hid upgrade kit as you have the halogen headlights. It will make a big difference to have the hids
Old 02-23-2019, 12:34 PM

SL55 SLK 320

symptoms of the stuck intake I myself am not too sure about. I assume reduced performance. I know that it will give you a code in the computer if they do stick and they are a common replacement part.

I'm not sure about the wheel bearing, but anything is possible and very likely if it has been sitting for a while.

You'll also want to check out Azn optics for a hid upgrade kit as you have the halogen headlights. It will make a big difference to have the hids
I was already looking into the HID conversion. Did you get the kit from azn ? Seems like they have a good kit.
The halogen seems so odd now. I haven’t had a car without HID in a while.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was already looking into the HID conversion. Did you get the kit from azn ? Seems like they have a good kit.
The halogen seems so odd now. I haven’t had a car without HID in a while.
no I have the lighting package with oe xenons.

Yes. It's a good kit. I'm very upset mb put halogens om these cars even on the new models.

The led light strip is also retrofit able if you care about it. It just requires the part and a Sam update

Check out my lighting thread for more light upgrades 😝💡🕯️
Old 02-23-2019, 01:27 PM

SL55 SLK 320

no I have the lighting package with oe xenons.

Yes. It's a good kit. I'm very upset mb put halogens om these cars even on the new models.

The led light strip is also retrofit able if you care about it. It just requires the part and a Sam update

Check out my lighting thread for more light upgrades 😝💡🕯️
I like the fog lights as they are. Maybe upgrade the bulbs.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 577 Likes on 486 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.

Depending on where the intake flaps fail, you may get a check engine light or not. My flap actuator has snapped with the flaps in the actuated position - this doesn't affect performance in any way, nor does it throw a CEL.
They are a common replaced part; and require the whole intake manifold to come out - very laboriou$. I'm leaving mine alone as there is no CEL and it doesn't affect performance.

Max
Old 02-25-2019, 11:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W211 4 matic
I used AZN for my conversion and they are awesome now. Well worth it. Did have it professionally installed, I could handle the wiring part but the mods he had to do to make the bulbs fit are beyond me. Think it took him 3 hours or so.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:17 PM

SL55 SLK 320
Originally Posted by repguns
I used AZN for my conversion and they are awesome now. Well worth it. Did have it professionally installed, I could handle the wiring part but the mods he had to do to make the bulbs fit are beyond me. Think it took him 3 hours or so.
I was told the bulbs fit without any mods. There is a new metal clip
they send with the kit maybe this is the difference.

How long ago did you purchase your kit ?
Old 02-25-2019, 12:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W211 4 matic
Got mine back in December
Old 02-25-2019, 01:44 PM

SL55 SLK 320
Originally Posted by repguns
Got mine back in December
well I guess I will find out soon. Hopefully not to bad.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:44 PM

SL55 SLK 320
Any of you tried Xentry software setup ? I have the icarsoft unit and its useful. Just not the fully capable setup I would like.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
S550, R350, GL550, ML63 AMG
Nice car wrightbenz, great color. I just got my X164 a month ago and I've done some upgrades and mods too. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2019, 10:31 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
GL450
Change the transaxle fluid, easy DIY. Diffs are easy too, as somebody mentioned - but the transaxle is a point of failure... I'm at 226K miles, so you have some legs. The vast majority of the issues i had were prior to 100K. (Mine is an early 2007 model)