GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Is the extended warranty worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLS. 2017 450SL
Is the extended warranty worth it?

Put my deposit on a 2014, 350 gl today. projected build is 2rd decade of October. Dealer had an allocation to fill. I have a couple months to think about the extended warranty. The plan is to put miles on this vehicle. I retire in 18 months and plan to travel to the national Parks from Yosemite to Campobello. I am thinking 6 years 100K miles or 7 year 100k miles. the price given to me was only rough at this time $3,600 for the 6 year and roughly $4,200 for the 7 year. I believe the mechanicals will be ok but the electronics are less reliable your thoughts.

Options include:
Steel Grey Metallic
Almond Beige Leather/Black dash etc
Lighting Package
Parking Assist Package
Driver Assistance Package
Premium 1 Package
Harman/Kardon Logic 7
Wood/Leather Steering Wheel
Multi-Contour Seats w/Massage
Heated/Ventilated Seats
Panorama Sunroof

finally are rim locks worth the expense?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Originally Posted by vizsla
Put my deposit on a 2014, 350 gl today. projected build is 2rd decade of October. Dealer had an allocation to fill. I have a couple months to think about the extended warranty. The plan is to put miles on this vehicle. I retire in 18 months and plan to travel to the national Parks from Yosemite to Campobello. I am thinking 6 years 100K miles or 7 year 100k miles. the price given to me was only rough at this time $3,600 for the 6 year and roughly $4,200 for the 7 year. I believe the mechanicals will be ok but the electronics are less reliable your thoughts.

Options include:
Steel Grey Metallic
Almond Beige Leather/Black dash etc
Lighting Package
Parking Assist Package
Driver Assistance Package
Premium 1 Package
Harman/Kardon Logic 7
Wood/Leather Steering Wheel
Multi-Contour Seats w/Massage
Heated/Ventilated Seats
Panorama Sunroof

finally are rim locks worth the expense?

where I live you can get extended warranty any time before your vehicle warranty runs out, I believe there is a $500 cash grab called an "inspection fee" which they will waive if you huff and puff a bit. I have the wheel locks which they charged me well over a $100 for, it does nothing and can be broken off in under 1 min per wheel if someone really wants to steel the wheels.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
AMG GT R and GLS 450
There were posts previously about a gentleman who worked at a Mercedes dealership and offered significant savings on MB warranties. However, he no longer works there. Does anyone have a connection at mb that will offer a good deal on a MB warranty?
I have had extended warranties on previous cars and they more than paid for themselves and made it much easier to sell my car when that time came.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL350-BMW 650-1960 corvette-2009 Mustang
I bought extended warranty on my S class a few years back thru AAA with MercuryMy MB dealer always honored the warranty and I saved a boatload of money
My 14 GL 350 is supposed to ship next week and I will quote the warranty with AAA and see if MB will match it
Old 07-28-2013, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by octurbo
There were posts previously about a gentleman who worked at a Mercedes dealership and offered significant savings on MB warranties. However, he no longer works there. Does anyone have a connection at mb that will offer a good deal on a MB warranty?
I have had extended warranties on previous cars and they more than paid for themselves and made it much easier to sell my car when that time came.
Whether the extended warranty is worth it or not has always been the "eternal question" There is only one answer..... " it is if you need it!" More directly.... if you know what your expected mileage ( and length of ownership ) is going to be, you can do the math and enjoy the "peace of mind" for that ownership period. I know I will do 20K per year and will keep the car for 4 or 5 yrs. I bought the 5yr 100k factory extended because of how I intend to use the vehicle AND because my dealer knocked 500 off of the cost. Your dealer CAN give you a discount......but you should go in with the knowlege of what the current retail is on the plan you want AND a willingness to say the following: " I will sign the paperwork right now if you knock 500 off the price, you and I both know that I can get an on-line dealer out there to sell me the plan for that price, but I would rather give you the opportunity now."

They will tell you that dealers are "not supposed" to market the extended warranties like that.......you say "yes, I know......but I will find one that will sell me the warranty I want for the price I want to pay" That's how I got mine.......
Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Like Blittle said, it's a never ending debate about extended warranties. I have always bought them on my MB's. I think I'm a little ahead over the last 2 MB's, we'll see about this one.

Be cautious on the MB extended warranties, they can be confusing in that they add years OR miles after your warranty expired. If you put a lot of miles on your vehicle, you need to do some homework. PM me if you want details.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLS. 2017 450SL
Folks
Thanks for the insight. I am starting to look at 3rd parties like fidelity and AAA to see how they have been reviewed. They could be good leverage in a negotiations.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Much to ado about not much... warranty "profit" is like 20% on MSRP... don"t overextend your effort without knowing the return... the "confusion" comes in when buyers "mix issues" where a additional $1000 or more for example they could have gotten of the truck is more impactfull to them when they see it as a discount on the ELW... vice versa...