GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

quality of Harmon Kardon vs stock in GL 2014

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014-GL 450
quality of Harmon Kardon vs stock in GL 2014

I have a 2014 GL450 expected to be delivered in a few days whcih I ordered and it was noticed the Harmon Kardon which was in the P2 package ( now P1 ) was eliminated and placed as an add on option after the order was placed. Getting mixed reviews on the quality difference in sound. Of course dealer indicates no big deal in difference. Anyone have any real data or opinions???????? Much appreciated for the feedback.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GL 350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by rsevinor
I have a 2014 GL450 expected to be delivered in a few days whcih I ordered and it was noticed the Harmon Kardon which was in the P2 package ( now P1 ) was eliminated and placed as an add on option after the order was placed. Getting mixed reviews on the quality difference in sound. Of course dealer indicates no big deal in difference. Anyone have any real data or opinions???????? Much appreciated for the feedback.
Hi- I have a '14 350 and purchased the Harmon Kardon. I had listened to the regular system in another car when I test drove a few months ago. Honestly, I don't know why I paid the extra money. I don't think there is a big difference and I think for $850, that it's not that great. The quality from my Bose on my Suburban LTZ was 100 times better than this one. The sound in my opinion doesn't have a great range, sounds a bit "tin like" and doesn't have rich tones. I looked into getting an aftermarket one, but was quoted several thousand dollars. Guess I'll just live with it.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
2021 V167
Harmon Kardon

I have to second the opinion on the harmon kardon. I have a 11 model with it and it does not sound really a ton better than the standard system they offered then as well. We have a Suburban with the Bose system as well and it rocks, watching a movie in there is like home theater!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014-GL 450
Originally Posted by Ntuck
Hi- I have a '14 350 and purchased the Harmon Kardon. I had listened to the regular system in another car when I test drove a few months ago. Honestly, I don't know why I paid the extra money. I don't think there is a big difference and I think for $850, that it's not that great. The quality from my Bose on my Suburban LTZ was 100 times better than this one. The sound in my opinion doesn't have a great range, sounds a bit "tin like" and doesn't have rich tones. I looked into getting an aftermarket one, but was quoted several thousand dollars. Guess I'll just live with it.
Thanks for the feedback. The dealer called today and reported the vehicle arrived. I went for the sole purpose to determine the performance of the stock radio to the harmon kardon radio. To my amazement and comparing the same music sources to a harmon equiped model I truly could not tell the difference. I tried it on radio , cd and mp3. I told them to go ahead with the prep and picking the vehicle up tomorrow. Thanks again for your candid feedback - I now agree.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL350BT, 2014 CLA250
What is going on? When I was ordering my GL, the general consensus on this forum was that the stock system was terribly bad and H/K system is a must have. Now, there is no noticeable difference between the two?
What changed? Did MB put new standard system for MY14?
Old 08-20-2013, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I guess I'm one that prefers the HK system, but I was comparing to my HK system in my 2007 GL. It is an improvement. The demo DTS CD is incredible. Unfortunately (or fortunately if you have the base system) there is little media to take advantage of it. I'm still glad I have it.

It's kind of like the lighting package for me. I wouldn't buy a MB without the bi-xenon that comes in the lighting package. I live in rural areas and the difference is dramatic as a result.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GL 350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by LoseWeightAskMe
What is going on? When I was ordering my GL, the general consensus on this forum was that the stock system was terribly bad and H/K system is a must have. Now, there is no noticeable difference between the two?
What changed? Did MB put new standard system for MY14?

I am not sure that anything changed to be honest. I'm just going off the '13 that I test drove that had the HK and one that didn't. It sounds the same in the '14 with the HK. I'm just saying that the difference between the 2 is very little in my opinion. I'm just spoiled from a Bose. The sound quality sort of sucks with the HK compared to the Bose. In my opinion between the factory and the HK, I can't tell a whole lot of difference for almost $900...
Old 08-20-2013, 01:16 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
My opinion is HK make a difference, also I believe is something about the number of speakers too. My daughter (she like to ride all the way back at 3rd row seat to matter what) love how the system sound, of course I drop all the sound to the back when she connect her ipod !! where I can better heard the difference is on satellite Radio
Old 08-25-2013, 05:05 AM

Mercedes-Benz
I got HK on my S-Class and I cant tell the difference with the one that doesnt have it! so yeah waste of money tbh
Old 01-29-2014, 03:50 PM

2013 BMW 550ix
Originally Posted by wally AMG
My opinion is HK make a difference, also I believe is something about the number of speakers too. My daughter (she like to ride all the way back at 3rd row seat to matter what) love how the system sound, of course I drop all the sound to the back when she connect her ipod !! where I can better heard the difference is on satellite Radio
Sorry guys to dig up an old thread, but I'm trying to spec out my GL and want to be sure I get what I want.

Although the sound quality to most sounds roughly the same, what about the number of speakers? This person suggests that there are more speakers with the HK system than with the base (particularly in the 3rd row). We'll have kids in the 3rd row, so we'd want speakers back there.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:57 PM

2013 BMW 550ix
It looks like the HK system adds two speakers to the 3rd row per this link:

http://mercedes.harmankardon.com/en/...technical.aspx

(The Premium Surround Sound in the GL-Class section at this link says the number of speakers is increased from 12 to 14, so I am assuming this is referring to the addition of the two speakers in the 3rd row).

If this is the case, then the HK may be a valuable option for me since I will have kids back there.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GL, E63
If you can't tell the difference, its not worth the money for you.
Yes, there is a difference, not huge.
For radio, its almost the same.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The HK system is a definite upgrade - low level listening much more distinct, imaging upgraded like 1000%, dynamic range with source material excellent - sat radio is a "McDonalds" source with quality downgraded a lot since latest channel expansion 1 1/2 yrs ago... definitely wrth the "upgrade" in comparison B&O is a bit over-the-top..
Old 01-29-2014, 11:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 GL450, 2012 Land Rover LR4, 2003 Mitsubishi Montero
In my experience, the Harmon Kardon upgrade in the Mercedes GL is not a huge upgrade.
On the other hand, the Harmon Kardon upgrade in Land Rover LR4 is a huge difference.

The sound of the HK stereo in my 2012 LR4 Lux is immeasurably better than the sound in her 2014 GL 450 with the HK. The HK in my LR has lower lows and higher highs and far greater clarity. In fact, I have yet to hear any factory system that matches the HK in the LR4, but some of the Bose systems do come close. The Mark Levinson in the Lexus LX 570, Meridians in Jaguars and Audis don't come close. I've heard that the HK in the LR is going away for 2014- what a shame! Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share my experience.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
I have the HK.... had the stock on my 2011: bottom line is that there seems to be a bit more base response in the HK and there are additional speakers at the back..... but I never have anyone in the 3rd row, so for me, not a big difference.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:51 AM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
The HK is very good and am positive a upgrade... Or they wouldn't have made it an option.

Most people can't tell the difference... Just like most people don't realize that the FM radio sounds much better than satellite radio. You can see by listening to the Z100 radio on Sirius and switching back to the actual FM station here in NY... You could do the same test in LA... It is night and day.

If you crank your music or use apple lossless when recording... Then you will notice...If not and you are apart of the masses...save yourself the bucks.