GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Questions: My new GL 450

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Questions: My new GL 450

Hi All,

I sadly got ride of my C63 because it just wasn't practical for the family. My wife has a C250 and I had the C63. We also have two kids 1 and 3 so car seats are necessary. In other words, I needed something more convenient and bigger.

I was very happy to get the GL 450. However, the best one they had (to our liking) didn't have three things I would have preferred but were not deal breakers:
  • Panorama Roof
  • Lighting Package
  • harman/kardon Sound System

No other dealer around had the GL 450 with those options. We looked and there seemed to be a shortage and having one built was going to take several months (not an option for us since I had already gone through this only a few months ago with the C63 only to trade it back for the GL 450 in less than a year) and I can't be without a car.

So here are my questions:
  • Can I go through MB to get the lighting package or is this not an option after purchase? I don't want to do aftermarket HID (more pain in the butt than what it's worth)
  • Can I add the harman/kardon system after having purchased the vehicle? I really liked how they sound in my wifes C250 and how it sounded in my C63. If not, it almost seems like the GL450 is already set to fit the harman/kardon kit. If that is really the case, is it pre-wired where I can just buy after market speakers and simulate an HK setup?
  • Where do they store the harman/kardon subwoofer? If I add an aftermarket speaker setup, I would like to place it in the same location where the harman/kardon system places theirs. (I have no intentions or replacing the stock head unit)
  • Does the head unit (Command) support an amp or does the harman/kardon system NOT require one? I am curious about this because since my vehicle didn't come with the HK system, I wonder what I would need to get some speakers and a sub but keep the stock command/head unit

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read/reply
Old 09-03-2013, 09:45 PM

C63
Any input from anyone would be very much appreciated
Old 09-03-2013, 10:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
AMG GT R and GLS 450
From what I've read on this forum, there is very little difference between the basic sound system and the HK. As far as switching the lights to xenon with active curve, I bet that would be very expensive, if possible. I don't have any specific answers to your questions, but if I were you I would just enjoy your car as is. Doing these modifications after the fact are much more $ than getting them from the factory originally. I built my GL 350 and it is supposed to arrive next wk and I don't have any of those 3 options
Old 09-04-2013, 07:55 AM

C63
Originally Posted by octurbo
From what I've read on this forum, there is very little difference between the basic sound system and the HK. As far as switching the lights to xenon with active curve, I bet that would be very expensive, if possible. I don't have any specific answers to your questions, but if I were you I would just enjoy your car as is. Doing these modifications after the fact are much more $ than getting them from the factory originally. I built my GL 350 and it is supposed to arrive next wk and I don't have any of those 3 options
Thanks for the response. I guess I can live with the stock options but would like to get just a little more kick out of the sound system. I just don't want to replace the head unit, only the speakers/sub. However, in doing so, I want to make sure it's all placed neatly like stock speakers where nothing takes up any trunk space, etc.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
At the time of my purchase I was driving a car with no HK system and have not noticed big difference in sound quality also. I'm sure you can install aftermarket speakers and it will sound no worse than HK system and cost about the same as HK. I don’t think it will void your warranty, but it's a good idea to check with your dealer.
Lighting package - I think it’s very expensive to install OEM stuff. My E-class did not have lighting package and I installed HID conversion kit (don’t remember which one), but the cost was about $350. In my opinion - there is no big noticeable difference between my GL lighting package lights and E class HID converted lights.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
i *think* the lighting package on the new GL X166 also gives you the new curved amber "eyebrow" at night which is very cool. this is also your left/right turn signal. it also illuminates along w/ the white DRL light strips when you park and exit the car.

i could be wrong, but i recall seeing a few non-lighting GL's on the road that have ordinary turn signals in the corners rather than the amber eyebrow?

i don't think a retrofit would be that difficult, but i think the cost could be up to 3x what you pay from the factory MSRP.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:06 PM

2013 GL450
Wait three years and order a new one. Then you'll have it exactly the way you want and you'll already know how much you enjoy the GL.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:24 PM

2013 Mercede GL450
HK stystem you can live with out but I highly recommend Pano roof. Especially, if the car is white. The Panoroof, really make the interior of the car look so much bigger. Lighting package is something I would want to have too. I do believe it would cost a lot more if you wanted to install it later. This is an 80k car, I wouldn't want to install some after market HID. Little cheap looking for my taste.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I'm a big fan of the lighting package. It can't be added on. You can replace the bulbs to better bulbs, but you won't get the same as the lighting package. I live in rural areas and drive 20 miles to/from work in the dark many times per year, and to me it's a deal breaker. I took a new 2011 for a couple days to try without lighting package, and couldn't convince myself to accept it. So I waited until 2013.

If I lived in a more urban environment, or if it was a soccer mom vehicle with mostly daytime running, I wouldn't be as concerned.

HK vs non-HK is subjective to the ears of the beholder. I would think with some speakers and a good audio technician you could beat the HK.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
installing equipment after factory is a big hassle and always costs much more than done at factory, also keep in mind that the best dealers in the country can not do the same quality of work as the factory does, I have had several problems in my GL "resolved" and they ended up doing more good than bad.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
agree with cookstar.. cant beat factory ..

get all the options you want with the car - adding on sometimes not possible, toooooo expensive and can screw other things up.. especially electrical updates..

if ones not available- wait it out- there should be a good number of 14' GLs coming out soon- and your dealer should be all over it to get you what you want quick- especially since you'r trading in an AMG
Old 09-06-2013, 07:42 AM

C63
Originally Posted by sraza
agree with cookstar.. cant beat factory ..

get all the options you want with the car - adding on sometimes not possible, toooooo expensive and can screw other things up.. especially electrical updates..

if ones not available- wait it out- there should be a good number of 14' GLs coming out soon- and your dealer should be all over it to get you what you want quick- especially since you'r trading in an AMG
Well the one I have is a 2014. The lighting and sound were not deal breakers but wish I had them. I agree that the panorama roof is a lot nicer with white. I have the diamond white. I guess I can wait two or three years and shop for another with everything I want. For now, the only thing I am looking forward to is my Renntech ECU upgrade. It's currently being done now.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:53 PM

C63
So I really want to upgrade my speakers. So part of my original question is back:
  • Where is the stock sub located so that I can place the aftermarket there? I don't have the HK system so I wonder if I even have one. If I don't, where does it go anyway so that I can install it in the same area?
  • Does the head unit have pre-outs to hook up an amp to it (RCA cables)?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GL450
Here's a link to the HK info/brochure, the sub appears to be over on the right side of the rear of the car. If you mouseover it in the diagram you can see a pic of the sub box.

http://mercedes.harmankardon.com/en/...technical.aspx

I think there's another possible location to put one, in the spare tire compartment. That's where the B&O system has it. Of course you lose the spare, but probably room for a bigger sub there?
Old 09-11-2013, 09:49 AM

C63
Originally Posted by Elric99
Here's a link to the HK info/brochure, the sub appears to be over on the right side of the rear of the car. If you mouseover it in the diagram you can see a pic of the sub box.

http://mercedes.harmankardon.com/en/...technical.aspx

I think there's another possible location to put one, in the spare tire compartment. That's where the B&O system has it. Of course you lose the spare, but probably room for a bigger sub there?
Thank you very much for this info...this will be of great help!!!
Old 09-21-2013, 11:24 AM

2014 GL450
By the way if you figure out an easy way to access the HK sub location let me know. I was poking around back there last night and don't see how to get to it, but there must be some trick.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:57 PM

2014 GL450
Figured it out from the manual, those little flaps on the left and right side of cargo area pop out with a little prying starting from the top. The sub is oddly mounted IMO where the speaker is down low firing into the side of the spare tire area. From what I could tell with a primitive spectrum analyzer on my phone, the system has more bass below 60hz if you leave the side flap removed and spare tire door up, but I'm not going to drive around like that. It's acceptable as-is for now.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:34 PM

GL450
I have a GL450 without the lighting package too and I regret NOT getting it. I would love to have it but haven't found a retro kit yet or bulb to change it to. If you find something please let me know. I asked the dealer about purchasing the HID lights and it was $3k plus install, so not sure if that's worth it. I assume you can have a body shop do it.

I would agree with the HK vs. the NON HK, not much of a difference if any except for the logo on the speakers everywhere.