GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

The Dual-Paned GL Front Side Glass Mystery!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 01:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
The Dual-Paned GL Front Side Glass Mystery!

Do you have it or do you not?

That’s the big question.

And based on my research, no one, at least in the US, has it. I want to be proved wrong!

So that’s the big question. And one thing I hate is misinformation. And whatever the outcome of this thread is, it’ll educate other customers with GLs.

Was reading a GL “creaking” chassis flex thread last night when a member mentioned that his GL63 has dual-pane glass. Another member responded that his GL450 also had dual-pane glass.

I know what dual-pane glass is, had it on my Range Rover Sport. When I purchased my ’16 GL550 I noticed the front glass was not dual-paned and didn’t question it because I didn’t know it was a feature. And the GL550 is also damned quiet.

But after reading the thread and doing some Google searches, I ran across a slew of ’13 GL550 reviews which claimed the GL550 has dual-pane glass, as well as a 2014 US GL450 (+ other GLs) Brochure, where yet again, it mentions that the GL550 and GL63 have dual-paned glass.

But I don’t think this is accurate. Because I searched for OEM Mercedes parts and the following models and years have the exact same part number and the glass is not advertised as dual-pane but rather laminant. And the glass on my ’16 GL550 has Temperlite stamped on the side of it, and this is NOT dual-paned, at least do my knowledge. And the glass appears to be single and doesn’t have that ridge at the top which is a characteristic of dual-pane glass.

So the question remains, is this misinformation, or otherwise? Maybe Mercedes dropped the dual-pane from the ’16? Or US market, maybe it’s Canada only and these are misprints.

Who knows – but I need to know this definitively.

Any of you members out there with 2013 through 2016 GLs care to chime in, maybe post photos of your front side glass or double check them if they in fact are dual-pane?

Documents attached outline the above.

- 2014 GL450 Front Glass Part Number and Description: Part Number: 1667200020

URL - to 2014 US GL-Class Brochure
https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...4-GL-Class.pdf

- 2014 GL63 Front Glass Part Number and Description: Part Number: 1667200020

- 2015 GL550 Front Glass Part Number and Description: Part Number: 1667200020

- Photo of my Front Side Glass 2016 GL550
Attached Thumbnails The Dual-Paned GL Front Side Glass Mystery!-2013-gl63.jpg   The Dual-Paned GL Front Side Glass Mystery!-2014-gl450.jpg   The Dual-Paned GL Front Side Glass Mystery!-2015-gl550.jpg   The Dual-Paned GL Front Side Glass Mystery!-brochure-2014-gl.jpg   The Dual-Paned GL Front Side Glass Mystery!-2016-gl550-side-glass-description.jpg  

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 12-15-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
All of your glass part number pictures list glass with laminate or without (for 450,550,63). All that indicates is that a replacement part will fit that door panel. Now, the question if the glass is standard or an option on 550 or 63, that's something else.

I don't have laminated glass on 450. That's the only thing I can say for sure. However, it could be offered as an option during build. Dealer offered me a UV/IR windshield during a build config, although I haven't seen a single X166 with it !!! so who knows.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GL63; 2012 750Li; 2016 Nissan Titan XD; 1989 F150
My 2015 GL63 has dual pane glass on the front driver's and passenger's windows.
Attached Thumbnails The Dual-Paned GL Front Side Glass Mystery!-img_0507.jpg  
Old 12-16-2015, 10:10 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
Originally Posted by gsobol
All of your glass part number pictures list glass with laminate or without (for 450,550,63). All that indicates is that a replacement part will fit that door panel. Now, the question if the glass is standard or an option on 550 or 63, that's something else.

I don't have laminated glass on 450. That's the only thing I can say for sure. However, it could be offered as an option during build. Dealer offered me a UV/IR windshield during a build config, although I haven't seen a single X166 with it !!! so who knows.
Thanks for replying with your information and thoughts.

Even though all part numbers listed could be fit, the price is half of what the usual price is for dual-pane glass. All other Mercedes with dual-pane glass, the part is in the $400+ range per side vs. $250. I even checked the glass for the X164 GLs and yes, it's twice the price and is noted as "insulated"... assuming that's dual-pane.

I literally combed every single OEM part site including Mercedes' and nothing. I'll call Mercedes parts tomorrow, maybe the dual-pane part isn't available via online. Although I can order one for an S-Class.

I'm sure I'm missing something that's obvious... haha
Old 12-16-2015, 10:12 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
Originally Posted by chastylr
My 2015 GL63 has dual pane glass on the front driver's and passenger's windows.
Thank you, sir. Was it standard or did you special order? I'm really confused now. I'm calling Mercedes parts tomorrow.

I'm assuming your glass has the upper edge that's grooved, that ridge you get from the two pieces of glass sandwiched together.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
Thank you, sir. Was it standard or did you special order? I'm really confused now. I'm calling Mercedes parts tomorrow.

I'm assuming your glass has the upper edge that's grooved, that ridge you get from the two pieces of glass sandwiched together.
My well optioned '15 550 just has tempered glass too. I've noticed that Mercedes is sneaky about taking stuff like this off their cars. They did the same thing with headlight washers. They leave the caps on the bumpers and the instructions for the washer use just disappear from the owners manual. On the X164, they stopped putting defrosters on the passenger side rear view mirror at some point in time. I didn't realize mine didn't have a defroster until I was on a long drive in ugly cold weather and the mirror iced over. I had the service department tear it apart and even they were shocked Mercedes had not installed the defroster in that mirror. Who knew?

Last edited by 43221B; 12-17-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GL63; 2012 750Li; 2016 Nissan Titan XD; 1989 F150
It definitely has laminated glass. There is a slight groove between the panes. I tried to get a couple of pictures, but difficult to get a good one.

There was no special option for the laminated glass when I ordered it; almost everything came standard on the GL63.
Attached Thumbnails The Dual-Paned GL Front Side Glass Mystery!-img_0522.jpg   The Dual-Paned GL Front Side Glass Mystery!-img_0533.jpg  
Old 12-17-2015, 06:41 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
Originally Posted by 43221B
My well optioned '15 550 just has tempered glass too. I've noticed that Mercedes is sneaky about taking stuff like this off their cars. They did the same thing with headlight washers. They leave the caps on the bumpers and the instructions for the washer use just disappears from the owners manual. On the X166, they stopped putting defrosters on the passenger side rear view mirror.
Sneaky.

I blame that guy with that very big mustache!

A few years ago he mentioned cost cutting and these are the exact ways of doing it. Who's gonna know, right?

Anyway, the dual-pane glass absolutely disappeared from the 2015 and MY16 Brochures and spec sheets. My '16 has all options but the fancy leather.

It must come with the GL63 only... but not for us lowly 550 owners post-'14.

BTW, my glass is still pretty thick if not as thick as dual-pane... and it is very, very quiet inside.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 12-17-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:43 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
Originally Posted by chastylr
It definitely has laminated glass. There is a slight groove between the panes. I tried to get a couple of pictures, but difficult to get a good one.

There was no special option for the laminated glass when I ordered it; almost everything came standard on the GL63.
Yup, that's dual-pane... looks so beautiful!

Thanks for confirming.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:03 AM

15 GL550
So to me, the big question is, did all of the 2013's that were tested by the automotive journalists have the dual glass? If so, that indeed is a very sneaky way of duping the public since most reviews are written about vehicles in their first model year.

Can someone with a 2013 550 check their glass?
Old 12-18-2015, 11:22 AM

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
S 550
My 2013 550 has the dual pane glass

Last edited by Jim Ma; 12-18-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:42 AM

15 GL550
Originally Posted by Jim Ma
My 2013 550 has the dual pane glass
Wow, the guy with the big mustache is very sneaky indeed! Almost as sneaky as the engineers at VW.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:33 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
When I read the articles about Mercedes' aggressive cost cutting program in 2015, I kept thinking to myself, "How are they going to do this?" And why, to compete with BMW's margin success... who cares for God's sake! Mercedes is still very profitable and knocking one model after another, out of the park. Shareholders, damn them!

It was mentioned more specifically that it was tightening up their supply chain and optimizing their labor force. And this made a little more sense to me and brought some relief, since I've participated in this sort of approach professionally within the supply chain initiatives... and it wasn't that very dirty word: value-engineering.

Well, after learning more about my 2016 GL550, I've come to a sad conclusion that yes, it wasn't just about supply chain and labor, it was literally cost cutting via value-engineering and worse, just plain bamboozlement by deleting features and parts from their cars.

Don't get me wrong, I do love my GL550 and find it to be a wonderfully engineered vehicle and it's made a home within our home and everyone seems to enjoy the long rides and flashy looks. Expensive yes, but worth it and I feel pretty satisfied.

Now, I can live with the lack of dual-pane glass, but a $90K vehicle, of any brand, should have this, or at least if not, a better understanding to the customer and consumer that the "new" glass is better and quieter than the "old-fashioned" dual-pane stuff. I do know there are techniques today for acoustic glass coatings that eliminate the two-pane approach to achieve the same results, but that still doesn't fill in that questionable gap for the consumer. My GL550 is still damned quiet. But that question will always lurk in my mind, would the dual-pane be quieter? Well, doesn't matter... I have the same glass as the GL350 and even the ML350. Hey, I'm not special, it's just a GL550 that cost me $97K. Why should I care...

Now, what does bother me more than anything is the lack of headlamp washers. If it wasn't for 43221B mentioning it, I would have believed they are there. And I was wondering why they haven't triggered since I've owned the car - I like my windscreen clean and understand how this feature works, but nothing... nadda... The only thing that came to mind is that those annoying washers aren't ruining my freshly washed hood! In a way, I hate them. But in a way, I know when I'm taking long road trips and my headlights aren't performing well because they're very dirty, they're there. And safety comes before vanity for me.

But last night, I went downstairs to the garage and to my dismay, after pulling up on the upper end of the washer cover (by the way they pull up easily and are hinged, not fixed caps), there was in fact NO washer unit inside. Wow... really!?? Yup... they're fake alright and what I thought was there for convenience and safety, somehow vanished! This in my opinion is very sneaky of Mercedes, especially for an up-market SUV. This isn't a must-have "option" but rather something that is commonly standard across all up-market SUVs.

Shame on you big mustache guy!
Attached Thumbnails The Dual-Paned GL Front Side Glass Mystery!-dieter-zetsche.jpg  

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 12-18-2015 at 12:42 PM.