GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

2016 GL550 Right Front End Clunk - On Video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 02:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
2016 GL550 Right Front End Clunk - On Video

Hello GL owners!

So I had mentioned this a few months ago, that the right front end had a suspension clunk. It actually started not too long after taking ownership of it brand new.

A few weeks ago I brought to the dealership to be checked. That day I drove it to the dealership though, it was quiet as a bell. They took the car and kept it overnight - and after having it for two-days, could not reproduce it. Although disappointed the GL didn't act up on their watch, I picked her up, and she was quiet as a bell. Crazy.

Anyway, just this week though, it started doing it again. And yesterday it was so loud it occurred to me that I could get this on video.

There are 2 clips below of the noise. When the noise starts in the right front, you can hear it clunk if you turn the steering wheel back-and-forth, and you can hear it on the right side of the truck over bumps.

Do any of you, have this issue, or may have an idea what it could be? I'm going to send these over to the dealership today so their forman can watch/listen to them.

Any ideas/advice would be helpful. I know the dealership will fix the issue - but they actually need to see/hear the issue first.

I recommend wearing headphones/or earbuds to listen.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 04-29-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:48 AM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
I'm surprised not one GL owner has or has had this issue - mine must be unique. Anyway, want to update this so if other owners do have an issue like this it'll help narrow down the issue.

I dropped the GL550 off at the dealership after sending them the videos. The foreman agreed there was something wrong. When I dropped it off, the SA also asked to listen to it in the vehicle, and now it can be reproduced at any time. It does get much louder the more you drive it, but even now just after starting her up, the noise is there.

They called me yesterday afternoon and said they think they pinpointed the issue and will need to keep the beast (her name is Brunhilda) for a few days to repair/road test it. The SA didn't say exactly what it is, but mentioned that there is a TSB on it. I personally think it's the right front wheel bearing. I'll know exactly what it is on Monday and will post the results.

It's interesting because when I drove to Canada from San Francisco in December (with 1,000 miles on the rig) there was this odd humming noise coming from the front right (I believe) that sounded exactly like a bad wheel bearing. That whoo, whoo, whoo sound. But that sound eventually went away after about 3,000 miles. And the dealership back then, when I got back from Canada, could not reproduce it.

I'll know more on Monday and will post the fix/results. I'm more curious than anything.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 05-14-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL
Hey, that whoo, whoo, whoo sound sounds like what I heard from the active curve system in this post:
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...cornering.html

If you try to do some sharp turns maybe it will show up again?
Old 05-15-2016, 01:15 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
Hi Hibino, I read your original post but my GL550 does not have active curve, so not sure if there is a correlation or not. The dealership that is working on my GL said there is a TSB for my issue but I didn't find anything that seemed 100% related. And the whoo, whoo, whoo sound I heard early-on with my new ownership appeared during long duration highway driving.

There IS a TSB though that could be related to your issue and my issue, although it's rumbling noise coming from the front suspension, not a mechanical servo noise.

TSB LI32.34-P-058735

Xentry (mercedes): some vehicles experiencing from due to airmatic software not being up to date, the front axle has a rumbling noise caused by faulty threaded connections or play in bearings of link rods of stabilizer bar. Model 166.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 05-15-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:13 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
Just picked up my rig, it ended up being both the left and right front wheel bearings. I suspected this because you could hear rumbling/whoo, whoo, whoo up front and it was this way when I drove to Canada with just about 1,000 miles on her. The initial dealership where I bought the GL said they couldn't reproduce it.

Anyway, it obviously got worse (6,000 miles), to the point they were loose, as you can hear in the video, if you turn the steering wheel back and forth; the audible thump/clunk, as well as the clunks going over bumps. It wasn't normal and I'm so happy they fixed it. The rig is smooth as silk now, completely silent on the highway, absorbent over bumps.

They referred to TSB LI33.20-P-054920, removed both axles and bearings, cleaned specified surfaces, and applied grease to specified areas.

Made my day!!
Old 05-17-2016, 07:25 PM

GL
The LI33.20-P-054920 says:
Xentry (mercedes): on some vehicles, the front axle has creaking or cracking noises in area of wheel bearings whenever maneuvering or turning corners. models 166, 231 (ml350, 550, 63, gl350, 450, 550, 63, sl550, 63, 65). no years.

I think this is the problem I have on my GL since it specified "turning corners". But my dealer can not hear it so I probably have to wait when it is as obvious as your one before I go to see them again(my car is 4000km now, so still a while to about 6000miles).
Old 05-17-2016, 07:34 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
If the bearings are bad they'll prematurely wear until the symptom becomes really obvious to them. I was able to prove it not even driving the car, just turning the steering wheel back and forth. Once they heard it, they could finally isolate the issue and fix it.

The GL drives so much better (feels/sounds like an S-Klasse now), and all this time, I've been missing out on what it's supposed to be like. And how the bearings were also causing so many other odd sounds in the front end. I really thought I had multiple issues.

I hope you find your issue too - you might want to bring up this TSB with the dealer.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 05-17-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:39 PM

GL
:-( I wish I can use the TSB. I tried bring the TSB for reverse camera performance during night to the dealer but they were not happy seeing it, they said they can't just use something from the internet and apply to my car, all they can do is connect the car to a computer and let the computer decide whether there is a software patch or not...
Old 05-17-2016, 07:47 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
When I got back from Canada I brought my GL into the dealership where I purchased it. Now, this dealership is AMAZING, but not only did I have this humming noise, my front driver's seat had a horrible squeak. I posted a video of it. It was unmistakable.

Anyway, they called and said they couldn't reproduce it. Even got the "Our foreman is 200+ pounds and your seat is fine." The you must be crazy line. Anyway, I ended up fixing the seat myself with some aero-space grade grease. Simple fix that took all of five-minutes.

I guess the moral of the story is - go to a different dealership if you can. I took my GL to another dealership and they ended up fixing the issue. Yes, I had to "get it on video", but nonetheless, I think the dealership that I purchased the GL from, would have said, "It's working as designed" and would have done nothing.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 05-17-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:42 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
I'm so bummed! Yesterday I drove down to Menlo Park on the highway to pick up a bike for my son. I noticed that the humming noise started again at speeds of 60 mph+. But I tried my hardest to ignore it - telling myself it's in my head! Because I so want my car to work as designed again.

Well, today while driving locally (no highway) to get a haircut, the front end clunking came back with a vengeance. Parked and moved the steering wheel back and forth and that noise is back and it is worse than ever. I'm so disappointed and don't know what to do at this point. I am going to call Mercedes NA on Monday - they need to deal with this. Not the dealer I've been going to - it's not their fault and I feel really bad about it.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:09 AM

GL
I guess it will be better to ask them to replace the parts instead of fixing it.....
Old 05-25-2016, 03:34 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
Originally Posted by hibino
I guess it will be better to ask them to replace the parts instead of fixing it.....
I really, really want them to sort this out. I love my GL. It's odd because when it's cold, at start-up, there isn't any noise in the steering, but once it's warmed up, the noise is there and you can actually feel the clunk in the floorboard. It's not good at all.

I've been trying to figure this out on my own, maybe it's the front carrier assembly. It only happens when it's warmed up, and it sounds more like the axle or a steering assembly clunk - something is very loose there. If it's the carrier assembly ($3K part btw), it might explain the transmission clunking that resonates through the steering wheel, and the play in the transmission, that's really not good at all.

I gave up on the transmission complaint, which they said is normal, because I really don't want to be a PITA. But once the ugly steering wheel clunking was reproducible easily, they may need to check all areas that may have issues and come up with a solution. I feel bad about the whole situation.

The GL is going back in next Wed and after a conversation with the SA, he said they're concerned about it too, and they'll contact the manufacturer on next steps, which might be lemon/buy-back. I've already sent a letter to MBUSA as a precaution, since it's a required step by law to pursue the Lemon Law. I've heard zero from them. Not surprised actually. If the dealership cannot fix it this round, I'll formally get an attorney to handle the formal paperwork to start the process. And for the record, the dealership, has been amazing and best-in-class!

It's pains me that I have to do something like this - I really want "this" truck fixed, I love my GL and bought it because I love it. I love the color, the interior, the options, and the looks. I can't get an exact replacement because of the new GLS. I don't want a new GLS, I just want my car fixed.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 05-25-2016 at 03:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lawrence Lane (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 530e, 2021 Honda Odyssey, 2022 Toyota Mirai
To the OP - I'm a new guy here, just skimming the forum since I'm looking to buy a 2013 Gl550. Anyway, I'm replacing a 2015 Honda Odyssey that is now officially a lemon. It's refreshing to read the timeline of your experiences, and also similar frustrations and disappointment. I also tried not to be a PITA to the dealership, but they never believed me that it could be an engine mount issue while they tried to disassemble and repair everything else around it. Anyway, it would not hurt to discuss your case with an attorney if MB gives you resistance. I'm using one in downtown SF who specializes in these situations. We're currently working on the settlement and surrender of the vehicle. Let me know if you want their contact info.