GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Fair cost for front brake job?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 475 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Question Fair cost for front brake job?

I purchased new OEM rotors, pads, sensor, and slide pins online for total cost of $465 shipped. Install cost by my indy including tax and brake fluid was $188. So all in cost on front axle as $653. Seems a bit pricey for just one axle.

What have others been paying for all new OEM brake job?
Old 11-29-2018, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by DaveW68
I purchased new OEM rotors, pads, sensor, and slide pins online for total cost of $465 shipped. Install cost by my indy including tax and brake fluid was $188. So all in cost on front axle as $653. Seems a bit pricey for just one axle.

Sounds like a good deal. Maybe a bit high on parts.

I was quoted 900 for front brake job at the dealership.

Eventually had It done for 400 per axle at an indy with ebc rotors and akebono pads.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by kombifan

Sounds like a good deal. Maybe a bit high on parts.

I was quoted 900 for front brake job at the dealership.

Eventually had It done for 400 per axle at an indy with ebc rotors and akebono pads.
They are OEM parts, so definitely more expensive than the parts you purchased. I'd be interested in hearing about your rotors and pads and if you can go longer between brake changes with them. The consensus seems to be that the OEM front brakes last around 20-40k miles depending on driving habits and climate.

I was prepared to go with after-market brakes, but then I considered that this is a 5800 lb truck that needs to be stopped and I know that Benz over-engineers everything in their vehicles, so I bucked up a little more for OEM. I'm sure that Akebono's are a low dust pad, but brake dust really didn't concern me as I really haven't had much of an issue with brake dust with the OEM pads. But I do know that the OEM pads have a bigger bite than any of the after-market brands, including Akebono.

For ****s and giggles, I called my local Benz dealer to see what a brake job would be on the front. Was quoted $1100. So now I feel a lot better, especially since I have the exact same parts that they would have installed.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They are OEM parts, so definitely more expensive than the parts you purchased. I'd be interested in hearing about your rotors and pads and if you can go longer between brake changes with them. The consensus seems to be that the OEM front brakes last around 20-40k miles depending on driving habits and climate.

I was prepared to go with after-market brakes, but then I considered that this is a 5800 lb truck that needs to be stopped and I know that Benz over-engineers everything in their vehicles, so I bucked up a little more for OEM. I'm sure that Akebono's are a low dust pad, but brake dust really didn't concern me as I really haven't had much of an issue with brake dust with the OEM pads. But I do know that the OEM pads have a bigger bite than any of the after-market brands, including Akebono.

For ****s and giggles, I called my local Benz dealer to see what a brake job would be on the front. Was quoted $1100. So now I feel a lot better, especially since I have the exact same parts that they would have installed.
I rechecked what I paid, I'm about the same as you are. The ebc rotors are expensive but they're solid and really well cast and made. Two years on there is hardly any sign of corrosion.

https://www.autoanything.com/brakes/ebc-sport-rotors

I didn't like the oem rotor wear or the pad dust that was causing my wheels to be black all the time. So I had to change to akebono and I'm happy with the performance.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:37 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GLS63
I purchased my own Genuine parts and my indy was going to fit them for a much more reasonable cost but they couldnt get the caliper pins out, they were siezed.

Went to my local dealer and they want £325 just to install the parts, its only 1.5 hours of work so theyre asking £266 per hour for their time.

What hurts more is that their sister dealership installed pads last time, around 18 months ago and gave a 24 month warranty but MB UK dont want to know, they just say take it up with industry regulators if Im unhappy. I may still go that route but just incase I dont, does anyone know how i can release the pins so my indy can do the work?

GL63 AMG by the way.

Thanks

Carl
Old 12-07-2018, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by carlosamg50
I purchased my own Genuine parts and my indy was going to fit them for a much more reasonable cost but they couldnt get the caliper pins out, they were siezed.

Went to my local dealer and they want £325 just to install the parts, its only 1.5 hours of work so theyre asking £266 per hour for their time.

What hurts more is that their sister dealership installed pads last time, around 18 months ago and gave a 24 month warranty but MB UK dont want to know, they just say take it up with industry regulators if Im unhappy. I may still go that route but just incase I dont, does anyone know how i can release the pins so my indy can do the work?

GL63 AMG by the way.

Thanks

Carl

Carl. Don't you still have the extended warranty on your car?

Why not try the sister dealership, ask them what is up and what you encountered at the indy, say you have the extended warranty and bring the parts
Old 12-08-2018, 03:36 AM

AMG GLS63
Yeah i have the extended warranty and warranty on the last pad change, MB UK had no interest, even tried to claim that the dealer had inspected it and deemed that a third party caused the pins to sieze, no dealer has indpected the car.

Will be writing to the industry ombudsman to see what they say, trouble is I want the job doing but feel I should stick to my guns over this out of principle
Old 12-08-2018, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by carlosamg50
Yeah i have the extended warranty and warranty on the last pad change, MB UK had no interest, even tried to claim that the dealer had inspected it and deemed that a third party caused the pins to sieze, no dealer has indpected the car.

Will be writing to the industry ombudsman to see what they say, trouble is I want the job doing but feel I should stick to my guns over this out of principle
The pins on the front pads are seized? Because the rear entails a parking brake release.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Not uncommon for a early GL63/2013 - for front brake caliper pins to "seize" - it's "bi-metallic corrosion" - smart owner's/dealer's - would remove and reinstall the front caliper pins at annual service to prevent this "lockup".
Old 12-09-2018, 02:29 AM

AMG GLS63
Wish Id known, but then they were removed only 18 months ago so perhaps not correctly cleaned and greased?
Old 12-14-2018, 07:37 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
My dealer just quoted me yesterday...$1159 for fronts including rotors. FYI