GL63 AMG and GLS63 (X166, X167) 2014 - present (Two generations)

GL63 Ordering Information

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 550
my trials and tribulations in finally getting a March/May production slot

Faithful readers of this forum may know me as the guy who is irrationally motivated to get a GL63 this spring. I'll share the long version in case it's useful or interesting to anyone.

I deposited with the AMG Performance Center in Northbrook IL months ago. Unfortunately, despite being a high-volume dealer and AMG PC, they were not one of the three Chicago area dealers to get a March or May allocation. And they don't even appear to have a June slot. FWIW, my local Iowa City dealer told me that the allocations seem to have been determined by dealer performance with the previous generation of GL's, performance defined as "turn time" rather than volume. He said there was no priority at all given to AMG PC's.

So, I've been calling around the country trying to track down these 35ish March/May slots to see if I could find one that was unclaimed. In case anyone is similarly motivated (for your sanity's sake, I hope not), I have called every dealership that's been mentioned in these threads and then some. I think I located about 25 of the ~35. Of course, nearly all were pre-sold.

Happily, I did find three options. And unhappily for my wallet, I think I'm going with one of them.

1) Prestige Motors in Paramus, NJ has an unsold allocation. I've had a bit of a hard time communicating with them, and it may be that the slot is for June, not May. Also, they're adamant that their only interior color option is black. This makes no sense to me, especially if the slot is for June, as that car can't possibly be in production yet. ??? However, they were willing to sell at list price. (Note: In contacting roughly 20 dealers, this was the only one I found that still had a June slot.)

2) Manhattan, NY has at least one, possibly two, slots still unsold, and I believe at least one is for March. However, they insisted on a $30k premium over MSRP. I politely disagreed that this was reasonable and we had a calm discussion about it. In that market, they're perfectly comfortable waiting for the car to hit the floor and tagging it as $150k. More power to them I guess. I'm not quite that crazy.

3) Van Nuys, CA has a May slot and I took it. The market dynamics here are similar to NYC and so they're also requiring a premium over list. (I'm too ashamed to say here what that figure is, but if you really want to know and PM me about it then I'll probably confess.) I travel to LA 1-2x/month so it's much more convenient for me to take delivery there, and I'm probably going to keep my 2010 550 there for when I'm in town on business.

I might change my mind if enough posters excoriate me for paying a five-figure premium, but as it stands this is the best option I've come up with to get my hands on a 2013. One way I rationalize it is that if this drew out longer then I might have ended up getting a 2013 months later just before the MY 2014 was released, so at least I'm getting a 2013 and going to enjoy it for several months before the MY depreciation hit.

I would love to get some feedback on colors from those of you who have seen these options in the flesh and have experience with Designo. The dealer in Van Nuys had some interesting info about options. He said that the choices seem to be changing daily in Netstar (both additions and subtractions), but currently this is what was available:

040 Black
041 Designo Graphite
046 Designo Platinum Black
051 Designo Magno Platinum (matte finish)
052 Designo Mystic Brown
151 Cinnabar Red Metallic
183 Magnetite Black
197 Obsidian Black Metallic
359 Capri Blue
474 Verde Brook (?)
541 Storm Red
650 Arctic White
755 Steel Grey Metallic
775 Iridium Silver Metallic
794 Pearl Beige
796 Dakota Brown Metallic
799 Diamond White Metallic
890 Lunar Blue Metallic

I'd prefer one of the more conservative colors and don't really want a shiny silver, but the SA said that the Designo Magno Platinum in the matte finish is more like a steel grey and looks really sharp. Can anyone confirm this; ever seen this color on another vehicle? Also, any thoughts on how the grey exterior would look with the Auburn Brown interior? I'm not a huge fan of the black leather interior but I have kids so beige and white are not good options.

If you've read this far, thanks for listening. And thanks again to Fab for facilitating my search with all of his great information. Feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited by 1Adam12; 03-02-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
i've seen the silver platinum matte on a cls a while back (not sure if it was stock or custom) but it looked amazingly sick! i'd love to have a cls in that color, it should look great on a gl but remember that some colors on a big car may not look as good.
Personally i wanted to avoid a black interior this time, one of the reasons i didnt go with a 63 and preferred a 550 as from what i know, even if you get beige interior on a gl i'm not sure if you can get beige/almond dash and panels (no option on US amg site- all dashes are black) I think auburn is an awesome color but i'm really skeptical how it would look with silver (may be awesome or may be, well, not so awesome, I wouldnt do it)

30K mark up is insane, though I understand a dealer can do what they want with the price and with this kind of demand and interest they know they/ll get it, someone whi has to have it now and leases instead of buys will pay for it for a few years and return it and dealer still wont lose money on it..

Tha matte black will look a little like the early spy shots and i think looks amazing in that car, for that size...

congrats on the order! good luck...
Old 03-02-2013, 04:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
o and by the way, verde black is a black/green color, pretty nice too..

the capri blue may look really nice too..
Old 03-02-2013, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Originally Posted by 1Adam12
Faithful readers of this forum may know me as the guy who is irrationally motivated to get a GL63 this spring. I'll share the long version in case it's useful or interesting to anyone.

I deposited with the AMG Performance Center in Northbrook IL months ago. Unfortunately, despite being a high-volume dealer and AMG PC, they were not one of the three Chicago area dealers to get a March or May allocation. And they don't even appear to have a June slot. FWIW, my local Iowa City dealer told me that the allocations seem to have been determined by dealer performance with the previous generation of GL's, performance defined as "turn time" rather than volume. He said there was no priority at all given to AMG PC's.

So, I've been calling around the country trying to track down these 35ish March/May slots to see if I could find one that was unclaimed. In case anyone is similarly motivated (for your sanity's sake, I hope not), I have called every dealership that's been mentioned in these threads and then some. I think I located about 25 of the ~35. Of course, nearly all were pre-sold.

Happily, I did find three options. And unhappily for my wallet, I think I'm going with one of them.

1) Prestige Motors in Paramus, NJ has an unsold allocation. I've had a bit of a hard time communicating with them, and it may be that the slot is for June, not May. Also, they're adamant that their only interior color option is black. This makes no sense to me, especially if the slot is for June, as that car can't possibly be in production yet. ??? However, they were willing to sell at list price. (Note: In contacting roughly 20 dealers, this was the only one I found that still had a June slot.)

2) Manhattan, NY has at least one, possibly two, slots still unsold, and I believe at least one is for March. However, they insisted on a $30k premium over MSRP. I politely disagreed that this was reasonable and we had a calm discussion about it. In that market, they're perfectly comfortable waiting for the car to hit the floor and tagging it as $150k. More power to them I guess. I'm not quite that crazy.

3) Van Nuys, CA has a May slot and I took it. The market dynamics here are similar to NYC and so they're also requiring a premium over list. (I'm too ashamed to say here what that figure is, but if you really want to know and PM me about it then I'll probably confess.) I travel to LA 1-2x/month so it's much more convenient for me to take delivery there, and I'm probably going to keep my 2010 550 there for when I'm in town on business.

I might change my mind if enough posters excoriate me for paying a five-figure premium, but as it stands this is the best option I've come up with to get my hands on a 2013. One way I rationalize it is that if this drew out longer then I might have ended up getting a 2013 months later just before the MY 2014 was released, so at least I'm getting a 2013 and going to enjoy it for several months before the MY depreciation hit.

I would love to get some feedback on colors from those of you who have seen these options in the flesh and have experience with Designo. The dealer in Van Nuys had some interesting info about options. He said that the choices seem to be changing daily in Netstar (both additions and subtractions), but currently this is what was available:

040 Black
041 Designo Graphite
052 Designo Mystic Brown
151 Cinnabar Red Metallic
183 Magnetite Black
197 Obsidian Black Metallic
359 Capri Blue
474 Verde Brook (?)
541 Storm Red
650 Arctic White
755 Steel Grey Metallic
775 Iridium Silver Metallic
794 Pearl Beige
796 Dakota Brown Metallic
799 Diamond White Metallic
890 Lunar Blue Metallic

I'd prefer one of the more conservative colors and don't really want a shiny silver, but the SA said that the Designo Magno Platinum in the matte finish is more like a steel grey and looks really sharp. Can anyone confirm this; ever seen this color on another vehicle? Also, any thoughts on how the grey exterior would look with the Auburn Brown interior? I'm not a huge fan of the black leather interior but I have kids so beige and white are not good options.

If you've read this far, thanks for listening. And thanks again to Fab for facilitating my search with all of his great information. Feedback would be appreciated.
I would forget 2013 and go for the 2014's, personally I would not pay 1 penny over MSRP, we are talking about North America not some third world country where you have to smuggle cars in and ask $$$$ over msrp

you probably don't care about price at this point but you are looking at end of 2013 delivery when the 2014 would be out right after you received the vehicle, not to mention the new safety tech from the E-class that will most likely make it to 2014 GL's
Old 03-02-2013, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
I am with cookstar. Paying $1 over MSRP is crazy especially when you get probably get one cheaper for September delivery. May build - you will probably see the car 3rd or 4th week of June. Wait July and August - you can get a MY14 in September.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just want to point out that if anyone has a choice of 14 vs 13 than you should go with the 14's, in my case I had to get a 13 since our lease on the 08 GL expired in June and I have been shuffling around family like a taxi driver for 9 months ( placed order in October). I strongly advise against anyone buying/financing any vehicle during the first year IF you have a choice.

A bunch of people that got the early 2013 GL's were missing option choices and standard equipment as well since they were not available. ex, pano roof, 360 cam, sport package,designo leather etc etc etc

of course this does not apply to leasing.

Last edited by cookstar; 03-02-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
041 Designo Graphite
052 Designo Mystic Brown

Interesting. Looks like we finally get Designo paint.

South Ocean1, what would you go for?
Old 03-02-2013, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Would love to see the matte finish on the 63
Old 03-02-2013, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Adam - you have been a sincere guy on this forum, and from my side just trying to be of help as I can.

Van Nuys never had a May slot - since Feb 26 their original May slot slid out to 3rd decade June - and that slot is not reversing direction - it has a 80%+, particularly for them< of rolling over.

PM me if I can help - keep the faith !
Old 03-02-2013, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Whats the cost of designo paint?
Also whats the difference between the designo platinum black and obsidian black?
Is Alcantara headliner an option for the GL?
Old 03-03-2013, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sam9187
Whats the cost of designo paint?
Also whats the difference between the designo platinum black and obsidian black?
Is Alcantara headliner an option for the GL?
Alcantara headliner should be standard on the 63, and it'll be part of the Designo package on lesser GLs.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'15 GL350 Bluetec

Have seen the Magno finishes on a few vehicles at my local AMG PC (Hendrick, in Charlotte). They are great looking vehicles. My only reservation would be paint care. Do your research prior to committing, having read instructions on it's care, I'm not sure I would take the plunge - but that's just me. BTW, one consideration (god forbid!) would be having a body shop that could handle any work on that finish to your satisfaction.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
Alcantara headliner should be standard on the 63, and it'll be part of the Designo package on lesser GLs.
I think it comes with the dinamica headliner. At least the 550 with designo does. What's the difference between dinamica and alcantara?
Old 03-03-2013, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sam9187
I think it comes with the dinamica headliner. At least the 550 with designo does. What's the difference between dinamica and alcantara?
Dinamica is essentially MB's version of Alcantara.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo, 2020 GLC 63, 2014 Audi S6, 2014 GL63; past 2019 M5 and 2011 E63
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Adam - you have been a sincere guy on this forum, and from my side just trying to be of help as I can.

Van Nuys never had a May slot - since Feb 26 their original May slot slid out to 3rd decade June - and that slot is not reversing direction - it has a 80%+, particularly for them< of rolling over.

PM me if I can help - keep the faith !
Adam

I agree with all of the comments so far - it seems crazy to pay up for a July delivery. Are you 1st on the list at Northbrook? If so, I would think you should be on line early fall. At least save some $ and go with the NJ dealer, then contact MBUSA directly about changing the interior color on a car not yet built. As you noted, it is hard to fathom why that could not be done.

Separately, it was very interesting to hear about unsold builds and how some of the dealers are handling them. Extra shame on MB Manhattan as a corporate owned dealership for talking that approach.

As to the color options, I know you are just reporting what you heard from the dealer but I really don't think those extra colors are available. The US plants don't offer designo colors. I asked MBUSA about color offerings for the GL63 last fall and they explained no designo options since it is built in the US. I hope that has changed - but I doubt it.

Kind regards

Last edited by South Ocean1; 03-03-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by South Ocean1
Adam

I agree with all of the comments so far - it seems crazy to pay up for a July delivery. Are you 1st on the list at Northbrook? If so, I would think you should be on line early fall. At least save some $ and go with the NJ dealer, then contact MBUSA directly about changing the interior color on a car not yet built. As you noted, it is hard to fathom why that could not be done.

Separately, it was very interesting to hear about unsold builds and how some of the dealers are handling them. Extra shame on MB Manhattan as a corporate owned dealership for talking that approach.

As to the color options, I know you are just reporting what you heard from the dealer but I really don't think those extra colors are available. The US plants don't offer designo colors. I asked MBUSA about color offerings for the GL63 last fall and they explained no designo options since it is built in the US. I hope that has changed - but I doubt it.

Kind regards
That's simply a load of corporate horse excrement jargon. The first generation ML was offered with Designo packages that included paint, leather, and trim. Very simply, yes it can be done at that factory.

In regards to if the information is accurate or not- I'm not doubting what was reported by the forum member here- more or less I'm doubting what MB's order computers say. I guess we'll find out soon enough if we do get those paints or not.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:31 PM

2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo, 2020 GLC 63, 2014 Audi S6, 2014 GL63; past 2019 M5 and 2011 E63
That's simply a load of corporate horse excrement jargon. The first generation ML was offered with Designo packages that included paint, leather, and trim. Very simply, yes it can be done at that factory.

In regards to if the information is accurate or not- I'm not doubting what was reported by the forum member here- more or less I'm doubting what MB's order computers say. I guess we'll find out soon enough if we do get those paints or not.
xxGenericSnxx

Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that they can't do Designo here in the US. I know they can do Designo interiors and have done exterior colors in the past as with your first generation ML. I just don't think they have planned for exterior designo for this generation ML and GL. I hope I wrong.

If those colors are available, I like your suggested order. I would really think hard about Mystic Brown, Graphite and Verde Brook if available. I think Designo Graphite would look the sweetest but I would have to get over my resolve to get something other than a black, white or silver (just my odd personal goal to brighten up MB's AMG color palate even though I think they look great on those colors).
Old 03-03-2013, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

xxGenericSnxx

Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that they can't do Designo here in the US. I know they can do Designo interiors and have done exterior colors in the past as with your first generation ML. I just don't think they have planned for exterior designo for this generation ML and GL. I hope I wrong.

If those colors are available, I like your suggested order. I would really think hard about Mystic Brown, Graphite and Verde Brook if available. I think Designo Graphite would look the sweetest but I would have to get over my resolve to get something other than a black, white or silver (just my odd personal goal to brighten up MB's AMG color palate even though I think they look great on those colors).
SouthOcean1 is right. I was also told exterior designo colors were not available for the GL.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When will the MY14 dealer order guide come out?
Old 03-04-2013, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

xxGenericSnxx

Hey, sorry. I can see how the tone of my post may come off as harsh and negative. Basically I was just saying that it is technically possible (as evidenced by history) that Designo paints can be produced here in the US and that whoever told you that was the reason they can't is wrong. I do agree that it doesn't seem likely that we will get Designo paints on the GL and that this may just be a glitch of some sort.

Yes- brighten up the color spectrum. 040 black the various seas of gray and silver are quite boring, in my own opinion of course, although the matte gray does sound intersting!

I've seen Designo Grapite on multiple Benzes now and it just looks like metallic gray to me. Maybe I haven't seen it in the sun where it can shine, but under the showroom lights it doesn't seem special to me.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:46 PM

Hey, sorry. I can see how the tone of my post may come off as harsh and negative. Basically I was just saying that it is technically possible (as evidenced by history) that Designo paints can be produced here in the US and that whoever told you that was the reason they can't is wrong. I do agree that it doesn't seem likely that we will get Designo paints on the GL and that this may just be a glitch of some sort.

Yes- brighten up the color spectrum. 040 black the various seas of gray and silver are quite boring, in my own opinion of course, although the matte gray does sound intersting!

I've seen Designo Grapite on multiple Benzes now and it just looks like metallic gray to me. Maybe I haven't seen it in the sun where it can shine, but under the showroom lights it doesn't seem special to me.
xxGenericSNXX

I completely agree with you - it is a shame that MB does not offer the same custom options in US builds for the GL and MLs currently. I think there would be a good demand for the range of colors offered on something like they offer on the G class.

Unless those other colors are really an option for the GL, I am staying with Pearl Beige. I expect I may be the only one out there with a GL63 in that color - for reasons I completely understand - but I am okay with that.

I am still jealous every time I see your R63 in your signature line

Kind regards
Old 03-06-2013, 09:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Order Final Today

Black
Auburn Brown
Burled Walnut
B & 0 Sound
Night View
Trailer Hitch
Pre wire rear entertainment

Dealer says 6-8 weeks for delivery. First on list with over 15 behind me. They were never told of any allocation just that my order needed to be final in 3 days. If Night or B&O delays delivery, I'll drop those options. I never saw the options on build site for 63. Didn't see Night offered on any GL either.

I'm still torn about Auburn Brown as haven't seen it in person. Looks like dash is same color. I'm also torn about Burled Walnut too. Also appears roof liner is not alacantra but cloth. TBD what color.

Will be at RennTech immediately after delivery for ECU upgrade to 669hp.

Typically, if I don't like color combos, I'm able to get another order. Not this time! I'm sure if I can't live with it, I'll be able to flip though

I hope she's a good vehicle!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Personally, usability of Night View, if you haven't had it before doesn't measure up to what you might expect it to be, destracting actually.

Small things you might consider adding to your build that can't be added later: rear sunshades and red calipers

Accessory chrome package can be added later, but if you're considering it better to get out of the way for delivery and not have to make a extra trip into the dealer later.

If you're indie WiFi interested - rather than using your cell as a hot spot - then if your dealer will "kick-in" the labor for a clean/hidden install for delivery - the $500 accessory cost for the router itself gets "paid back" by 6 mos free 5GB mo service from the service provider.

With B&O you will lose your spare wheel/tire - since the gear takes up that space in the boot - just so you know..
Old 03-06-2013, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Trimmer2
Black
Auburn Brown
Burled Walnut
B & 0 Sound
Night View
Trailer Hitch
Pre wire rear entertainment

Dealer says 6-8 weeks for delivery. First on list with over 15 behind me. They were never told of any allocation just that my order needed to be final in 3 days. If Night or B&O delays delivery, I'll drop those options. I never saw the options on build site for 63. Didn't see Night offered on any GL either.

I'm still torn about Auburn Brown as haven't seen it in person. Looks like dash is same color. I'm also torn about Burled Walnut too. Also appears roof liner is not alacantra but cloth. TBD what color.

Will be at RennTech immediately after delivery for ECU upgrade to 669hp.

Typically, if I don't like color combos, I'm able to get another order. Not this time! I'm sure if I can't live with it, I'll be able to flip though

I hope she's a good vehicle!
Congrats. Post some pics when you have it. I agree with Fab's suggestion in terms of rear sunshades, chrome accessory package, and red calipers. I have to look into wifi myself. Let us know what you think if you get it. I am going with B&O (at least for now) despite the loss of spare.

Roof liner is dinamica which is same as alcantara. Night view is available on other GLs - just not listed on the website like many other options. If you are unsure about brown consider black - cant go wrong with black.

Last edited by sam9187; 03-06-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I have night view on my GL350, which I've now had for 4 months. I drive it every day during the dark. It's been turned on for perhaps 30 minutes total. It hasn't been activated in at least 2 months. I would see a deer on the side of the road, turn it on to see if it improved the view, most of the time you couldn't even see the deer.

Biggest waste of money you can do, I wish I would have went with active curve assist or some other option. I'm also guessing it's 100% depreciation, can't imagine anyone giving you value on it when reselling.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GL63 Ordering Information