Notices
GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

Turn off exhaust noise GLA45 '19

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 05:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK350 '06
Turn off exhaust noise GLA45 '19

I read somewhere that the sounds of the "engine" in the AMGGLA45 pre facelift ... with the Performance Exhaust... are actually tape recordings. Is that true, and how can I turn off this sound in any case?
Old 10-11-2020, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 298 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
I doubt it's true. Part of the point of having an AMG is the sound of the engine.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:40 PM

CLK350 '06
I think that it is "miked" or there is a microphone that translates to the speakers for the exhaust noise. At least that 's why I read for the 2021 models. What I don't like about it is the noise when idling. It's like a Harley or something. Too loud. Would I have to alter the performance exhaust or something to stop the noise level?
Old 10-12-2020, 11:38 AM

GLA45 mit optionz; MS6 8 port & stuff
Originally Posted by California
I read somewhere that the sounds of the "engine" in the AMGGLA45 pre facelift ... with the Performance Exhaust... are actually tape recordings. Is that true, and how can I turn off this sound in any case?
It's true
Obama ordered all the exhaust sounds to be faked because the real sounds caused vibrations in the hidden servers. Hillary had the "tapes" destroyed when she lost. Thats the real reason for the '16 facelift
Old 10-12-2020, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by meicalnissyen
It's true
Obama ordered all the exhaust sounds to be faked because the real sounds caused vibrations in the hidden servers. Hillary had the "tapes" destroyed when she lost. Thats the real reason for the '16 facelift
Really? Such a lame response that sounds like a flat earth, cigarette smoking is safe response that has nothing to do with the OPs original question and it belongs in a political forum and not here in the MB World forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by 190Efan:
Brian SL550 (10-18-2020), Solo wing (10-21-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
I think that it is "miked" or there is a microphone that translates to the speakers for the exhaust noise. At least that 's why I read for the 2021 models. What I don't like about it is the noise when idling. It's like a Harley or something. Too loud. Would I have to alter the performance exhaust or something to stop the noise level?
I guess I'm having trouble understanding why you bought the AMG version if you don't like the noise. The noise is part of the AMG's charm. A non AMG is quieter and less expensive.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,570 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yes, in the newer AMGs, the engine/exhaust sound is played into the cabin to enhance the driver experience, because European noise regulations are putting an end to loud exhausts and noise insulation in modern cars has gotten to the point where you end up hearing very little of the outside noise. However, you most likely read about BMW. BMW has long played pre-recorded engine sounds into the cabin via the speakers. That's IMO as fake as it gets. But AMG plays the real sound into the cabin. The system is called AMG pure performance sound. I don't exactly know how it works, but it takes the real sound from the exhaust system and moves it inside the car. I'm assuming the real sound is picked up by some sort of microphone or membrane. So, it's basically an amplification of the real sound.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-12-2020 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:37 PM

you can unplug the mic where it clips into the harness, that would stop the Live recording,.. But the Tape recordings,.......
Old 10-14-2020, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by 190Efan
Really? Such a lame response that sounds like a "flat earth, cigarette smoking is safe" response that has nothing to do with the OPs original question and it belongs in a political forum and not here in the MB World forum.

Old 10-16-2020, 06:47 AM

CLK350 '06
Originally Posted by 190Efan
I guess I'm having trouble understanding why you bought the AMG version if you don't like the noise. The noise is part of the AMG's charm. A non AMG is quieter and less expensive.
I bought it sight unseen out of state from a dealer, having test driven a similar GLA AMG a few months before.

But honestly the real reason I bought it was the shifter is on the console, and I'm too blind to shift on the steering wheel, and do not like it. Regular GLA's do not have this feature.

I PM'ed Glynn Ruck with my concerns and he told me my only option is to swap out a regular GLA exhaust.

I do have to say, I got flagged down even tonight on a quiet street near my house because of the noise of this thing. Pretty car, and a fast car but the noise is ridiculously loud. I read that the EU is actually cracking down on exhaust noise currently.

If there is anything you can recommend short of transplanting a regular GLA exhaust, let me know and thanks.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:52 AM

CLK350 '06
Fascinating, thanks for posting this info. The noise is driving me crazy. It would be fine once the car is out and opened up on the highway for speed (and my AMG GLA 45 is tuned to have the top 167 MPH speed) when you would want to hear the engine, but on idle? It sounds like a Harley. It's crazy loud. I really might have to get rid of it, a neighbor actually flagged me down tonight for the noise. Glynn M Ruck PM'ed me that all I can do is swap out a regular GLA exhaust but this would destroy the car and the warranty, of course. If you can think of anythign I can do, it would be great.
Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, in the newer AMGs, the engine/exhaust sound is played into the cabin to enhance the driver experience, because European noise regulations are putting an end to loud exhausts and noise insulation in modern cars has gotten to the point where you end up hearing very little of the outside noise. However, you most likely read about BMW. BMW has long played pre-recorded engine sounds into the cabin via the speakers. That's IMO as fake as it gets. But AMG plays the real sound into the cabin. The system is called AMG pure performance sound. I don't exactly know how it works, but it takes the real sound from the exhaust system and moves it inside the car. I'm assuming the real sound is picked up by some sort of microphone or membrane. So, it's basically an amplification of the real sound.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:55 AM

CLK350 '06
you can unplug the mic where it clips into the harness, that would stop the Live recording,.. But the Tape recordings,.......
As the previous poster noted, I guess BMWs do have pre recorded engine noise piped into the car speakers. Glad MB isn't going for that kind of fakery. But any actual suggestions on dampening the noise would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:21 PM

So, have you put a downpipe on it? its not that loud, really.

with the windows up, driving around, do YOU find it to much? if so, well you may get some actual relief by disabling the cabin resonator.
its mercs way of faking exhaust, in a less fake manner.
Find some youtube vids by a cat named Jim hubacek, he has ****ed with it, learned some stuff, shared it.

If you find the snap crackle pop annoying, you could pay for a performance tune, request zero SCP, and that particular part of the exhaust sound will be gone.

That concludes the objectively useful data

subjectively speaking, reading your post, particularly the invocation of neighbor wrath, made me think about how very much you need to lease a Tesla, and ingest this product

Old 10-18-2020, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
I guess this is a good commercial for test driving a vehicle before purchase so that you know exactly what you're buying and the vehicle isn't doing anything you don't like. Most people buy AMG's for the noise and the extra power. Maybe your best option is to sell your AMG to someone who'll appreciate it for what it is. I've never seen any AMG owner post a complaint about AMG noise levels.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 SL550
Have you had your exhaust system checked to see if there is a leak somewhere?
Old 10-18-2020, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,570 Posts
2019 C63CS
As the previous poster noted, I guess BMWs do have pre recorded engine noise piped into the car speakers. Glad MB isn't going for that kind of fakery. But any actual suggestions on dampening the noise would be appreciated.
After reading your posts again, and realizing that the GLA hasn't been updated yet, it sounds like in your case the noise is not specifically the cabin noise, but the exhaust noise as a whole. The AMG pure performance sound is something that was first officially introduced in the all-new A45. I don't think your GLA has that yet. In your case it's the real exhaust sound given that you are upsetting your neighbors. The A/CLA/GLA 45 had particularly aggressive bangs&pops from the factory. They are by itself fake in the sense that they are deliberately caused by the ECU and serve no specific purpose unless you drive the car hard. In that case they act as anti-lag system to keep the turbo spooling, but if you are just popping around in the parking lot or during engine start, they serve no purpose other than aural pleasure for some, and torture for your neighbors I guess .

As mentioned, one option is an aftermarket tune that removes the pops&bangs, but other than that your only other option is to buy a quieter car. AMGs are by definition not quiet cars, at least until recently. New EU noise regulations are unfortunately putting an end to that. People like your neighbors have been pushing for these laws in Europe.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:51 PM

CLK350 '06
I know I'm whining about this like a girl... But that's because I am a girl!

Thank you guys for your help.

I'm going to get a sound level meter and make sure it is within legal limits.

It's funny but I did test drive a GLA 45 and I thought it had the Performance Exhaust as well, and noticed none of this noise.

with the windows up, driving around, do YOU find it to much? if so, well you may get some actual relief by disabling the cabin resonator.
Find some youtube vids by a cat named Jim hubacek, he has ****ed with it, learned some stuff, shared it.

If you find the snap crackle pop annoying, you could pay for a performance tune, request zero SCP, and that particular part of the exhaust sound will be gone.

That concludes the objectively useful data

subjectively speaking, reading your post, particularly the invocation of neighbor wrath, made me think about how very much you need to lease a Tesla, and ingest this product
Old 10-20-2020, 11:57 PM

CLK350 '06

Yes, the noise in the cabin is slightly dangerous for me, because it interferes with listening to street sounds while driving, if that makes sense. The cabin noise is loud and the outside noise is too loud. I am going to see if I can do the things you mentioned. Thank you again.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:00 AM

CLK350 '06
I'm going to test exhaust's db levels on a sound meter to see if they are within spec. If not, will be talking to MB. None of my previous MBs approached this level of loud going back to my '76 450SL (a tank that saved my life in an accident).
Old 10-21-2020, 12:05 AM

CLK350 '06
Full disclosure is my female gender. Didn't buy it for speed but it was the next best thing to my previous four cylinder C230 kompressor coupe of which my exBF has tricked out to almost AMG levels.

I honestly bought it for its four cylinders and the fact that it has the shifter on the console and I needed a hatch/suv again.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:07 AM

CLK350 '06
Originally Posted by Brian SL550
Have you had your exhaust system checked to see if there is a leak somewhere?
No, but that is a good idea. I did test drive a GLA45 some months back that I'm almost 100 percent sure had the performance exhaust. It was not this loud at all. TY
Old 10-21-2020, 11:46 AM

Full disclosure is my female gender. Didn't buy it for speed but it was the next best thing to my previous four cylinder C230 kompressor coupe of which my exBF has tricked out to almost AMG levels.

I honestly bought it for its four cylinders and the fact that it has the shifter on the console and I needed a hatch/suv again.

The hatch is the most useful vehicle, for sure.
Don't bother doing your own SPL, the technique of measurement is a huge variable so regardless of the number you get, its not going to be apples to apples
take it to the dealer, express yourself to the SM. If there is a mechanical fault, it'll get fixed. and you'll have a piece of paper with a Merc letterhead to wave at Karen next door.

Of greater importance, Please do PM me with those "Full disclosure of female gender" pics

Old 10-21-2020, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
I know I'm whining about this like a girl... But that's because I am a girl!

Thank you guys for your help.

I'm going to get a sound level meter and make sure it is within legal limits.

It's funny but I did test drive a GLA 45 and I thought it had the Performance Exhaust as well, and noticed none of this noise.
Never forget that the world's first driver was a woman, Bertha Benz. Your gender is a non issue. It's possible you might have a leak in your exhaust. It's best to have your MB dealer check it out now while your car is still under warranty. For the record, your GLA is a very different car than your R107 was. Part of the AMG experience is the noise level in addition to the hand built engine. This is what most people want when they pay the much higher price for the AMG. If no leak is found and you're still unhappy with the noise level, you might be better off selling your GLA to someone who wants the noise level and the hand built engine and buy something that is quieter. Just my 2 cents.